Barrel buying trunnion diameter question

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Barrel buying trunnion diameter question

So I've been eying one of the nitrided barrels for sale at AK Builder for a while now for my beloved M70, and recently I figured I finally get it and leave it in storage until I'm ready to change out the barrels. I asked them a bit in the past on what's considered oversize and what's standard for the trunnion diameter options, and they wound up putting some of that info up, so I guess my next question is, can I measure out the correct "trunnion diameter" measurement to make my selection, without pressing the barrel out of the trunnion? I figured maybe I just take some digital calipers to the base of the actual barrel right by the trunnion and measure it and use that to make my selection, or is that a no-no for this measurement? In other words do I have to measure the gap in an unpopulated trunnion out or can I just measure the base of the barrel? Also, how big of a deal is it if you'd get a barrel in the wrong sized trunnion diameter? They said standard size is .9075 and on their website they list oversized as being 0.910-0.911.
    Last edited by Haris122; 02-05-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4416 times
    You can measure that bit of journal ahead of the trunnion.
    They aren't going to select you a barrel at a vender based on that though I don't think.
    See what it is if it's 907 or under you should be fine ordering any barrel.
    I don't care to work with nitride to much I think it's super hard on end mills. But a lot of people seem to like them.
    I was thinking there was chrome lined US barrels available too.
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    I didn’t really put too much thought into the part where I actually work on the barrel. I just figured working it wouldn’t be much worse than a regular one, and the nitrided one appealed to me the most. Figured its a really tough barrel that will last without spending quite as much as the chrome lined one, and I heard the nitriding is already like a rust preventive finish, so nothing else would be needed on it rust prevention wise.

It looked like the barrel journal diameter just sticking out of my trunnion was 0.9075. I guess just to make sure, you would still suggest pressing the barrel out and just measuring out the inside space of the trunnion instead?
    Last edited by Haris122; 02-06-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors