Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Visceral_Malice
  • 2 Post By neko-romancer

Thread: Triangle side folder front trunnion drilling question

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Triangle side folder front trunnion drilling question

Iím kinda ashamed to admit that I sorta failed on my first build, it was a Hungarian ak63 underfolder. I had squished the rear trunnion in the vise and didnít really notice until I had riveted the whole gun together that the receiver had become narrower as well, and would not function. I went on to build my bulgy 74 kit successfully, and to much better quality tbh, than this failed first gun.
    I decided to go back and fix my failure, so I demiled the parts out of the receiver to rebuild it as a khyber type gun, with the triangle folding stock etc. I bought a folding stock receiver and the folding stock to put on it.

Anyway all of that is irrelevant, my question is, when drilling the little pin hole in the front trunnion do you drill all the way through? I have no triangle folding gun to look at as reference and have never held one. It seems a little complicated. I have the triangle stock instructions from ak builder, which I intend to follow, but before I start I wanted to make sure I donít screw anything up like last time.
    In a post-apocalyptic SHTF situation, I plan on forming a gang of post-apocalyptic barbarian raiders, and taking all of your NON-GMO seeds and women

Member #
    Liked
    4419 times
    some of them are drilled all the way though from the factory. i think the 86 krink kits are that way if i remember right.
    so long as your barrel isnt in no worries.
    BUT you can just measure the pin and drill the depth accordingly if your barrel is in.
    i think this what youre asking? front latch pin hole in bottom trunnion?
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Yes, thank you, thatís what I was asking. The barrel is out so it shouldnít be a problem. After reading the instructions the only thing that seemed difficult was the whole drilling of the pin hole, so Iíll be extra careful. Thanks for answering my question, it wasnít clear in the instructions if the pin went all the way or not. Iíll measure it before hand just to sorta see. Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In a post-apocalyptic SHTF situation, I plan on forming a gang of post-apocalyptic barbarian raiders, and taking all of your NON-GMO seeds and women

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    With the barrel out, you don't need to drill all the way through, but it doesn't hurt if you do. What's more important is that the hole is in the right location, otherwise your pin will be crooked, and the hook with be goofy.
    Ryan
    Glendale, AZ
    Westminster Confession of Faith

Ephesians 1:3-14

Member #
    Liked
    665 times
    i found easier not to drill through whether barrel or no barrel. that trunnion is hard as fuck. I drill just enough for pivot pin to sit

ems

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    I do mine with the barrel out, if possible before riveting the trunnion into the receiver, and generally drill all the way through the trunnion. However, I just installed a 5.5 folder on a saiga (pulled the barrel but didn't pull the trunnion) and the bit walked/flexed a little bit while drilling the trunnion hole so the pin hole was angled rearward slightly. Annoying, but I was able to carefully extend the hole forward a little bit with a round file and the pin sits properly now. It's held in place by the spring and the hole in the receiver so it's not really an issue, but it's a mistake that could have been easily avoided by being a little more careful. I've read that a lot of them are oversized slightly, but the first one I did on a bulgy 74 kit I drilled undersized and finished with a file and it fits the pin nice and tight. As always, double-triple check measurements before cutting/drilling. If you can find appropriately sized cobalt drill bits they're great for this sort of thing.

Member #
    Liked
    1392 times
    My best tip is start small. That goes when drilling most holes. Use a center drill if you can to begin the hole and drill the pin diameter. Then you can drill a little up for the pin head in the receiver and I use a t-handle reamer to finish by hand on that part. Keeps the fit nice and tight.
    JeepFan and Sunspot like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3696 times

I use a 5/32 bit
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

WTB-AIMS 74 cleaning kit

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What happens if the hole is too large? will the pin flop around?

Member #
    Liked
    5027 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral_Malice View Post
    My best tip is start small. That goes when drilling most holes. Use a center drill if you can to begin the hole and drill the pin diameter. Then you can drill a little up for the pin head in the receiver and I use a t-handle reamer to finish by hand on that part. Keeps the fit nice and tight.
    I do pretty much as Visceral posted. Start small and follow the instruction sheet you got from AK Builder. Take your time, read through it, measure carefully and it will turn out fine.

Member #
    Liked
    5027 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSU1 View Post
    What happens if the hole is too large? will the pin flop around?
    The ones I have done have been pretty tight but I'd guess if you are not horribly oversized the fun to install pin retaining clip is not going to let it just pop or fall out. You'll see when you get to that part of the installation.

Member #
    Liked
    155 times
    I've taken apart a good number of both Bulgarian and Soviet side folders. All were drilled completely through the trunnion.
    "I never met a gun I didn't like"

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Triangle side folder front trunnion drilling question

Figured I should follow up. I finished the gun, itís kinda banged up because Iíve de-milled it two times now. Thanks for all yíalls help. The hardest part was the front trunnion latch of death and sorrow. 2nd build down

It fired without exploding

It needs to wear in a bit, as it is a tad tight. Also I think I need to bend the dust cover a bit. Then itíll get sighted in and Iíll pin the front sight. These photos are just after Iíd put it together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by neko-romancer; 03-16-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    JeepFan and AK shooter like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5027 times
    Looking good. Congrats on getting it all together. Also not exploding on test fire is a nice bonus. Side folding 7.62 rifles are among my favorites.

For me on a new build I don't pin the front sight or do any final finish work until I have a few rounds through them and have them sighted in. Makes it easier to fix any problems I've made for myself.

Member #
    Liked
    1050 times
    Congratulations.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors