• 1 Post By SP15
  • 2 Post By 22many
  • 1 Post By Bender

Thread: receiver question

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

receiver question

hi i've gotten a bug i believe most of the users here suffer from. i built a ar. i know you ak guys are going to giggle at that one, built an ar lol. i wanted to do an ak variant but was worried the tooling (or lack there of) might be an issue. i've researched this for some time now and feel i can make the tools and build rifle from a pile of parts. i'm looking at an amd 65 kit as it's cheap and the barrel is setup already. i've found locally some ak74 receivers on the cheap (so cheap i may buy a few) complete and ready to go minus the tunion holes. that would be perfect but the receiver is intended to work for a smaller round. i was wondering what i'd need to change to make one work for the amd 65 kit. i'm sure i'll have to open the the mag well a bit and shorten the ejector claw but is there anything further? are the rails in the same place? i'm also looking at getting a fixed trunion and stock (can't find a 63 kit either) because i really doubt the wire stock will yield the accuracy i'd like. any help before i throw my money away would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Get a receiver that's for the 7.62. Not worth the hassle going about it the way you describe.
    Lord AK-47 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks i'll do that then. a bit disappointing. still might get a couple 74 receivers to sit on because they're done and cost what a flat would, less in some cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4467 times
    I think just trimming the lower rail possibly the mag opening itself.
    really haven't looked at this issue particularly.
    pretty sure the dimples aren't going to bother so from your description of building tools rather than buying seems like youd be up for the mods.
    not taking new work

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3671 times
    There are AK74 kits available.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8961 times
    Many new members come to the hobby thinking they can build a AK for cheap. What usually happens is corners are cut and the end product is something that is left to be desired or the parts are destroyed and it costs more in the end. Don't be a statistic and buy some decent tools.

Welcome to the forum.
    evolixsurf and boatma1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    cutting corners would mean welding the build or doing a screw job. i've looked at the tools online and the examples of homemade tools. the tools look doable to me. i see this as a trial and error thing more than making a pretty rifle. i'm already looking at completed receivers and kits that have the barrel set and pinned. i understand what you are saying and the right tools make all the difference. i was looking for something more challenging and time consuming. throwing the tools to rivet a build and press a barrel in seems like a good idea at this point. it my grinder fails, i may feel differently lol. i'm not talking about anything precise here. i'm just dipping my toe in the water with the first go around and making it simple but not overly simple as in i'll be making my own rivet tools to.

as for the receiver, i'm cutting corners. i've done some googling and found nothing that would point me in a sure direction about making it work so i came here and asked the people that have experience building them. i can get a 74 receiver complete for $30 it's not pretty but it should work for any 74 build, no trunion holes. if i get the 47 receiver it'll be $60+shipping+$20 for the transfer. i figured why not ask? i don't mind some fitting but if i have to move the rails and shorten the mag well, i'll get the right receiver. having neither a 7.62 or 5.45 mag on hand i can't just mic them to compare. i also haven't found much comparing the receivers like i'm asking about. seems like i can get the receiver and a 74 variant kit which i do not want, or get the right receiver. decisions decisions.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8961 times
    I can't count how many times I've heard people wanting to build because it's "cheaper" than buying when it's just not true. The tooling alone is a investment. Sure, people can make their own tooling but that is usually experienced machine operators that is there profession and have a mill in their garage or access to. Most people don't even have a press let alone the tooling to make tools.

If you have the ability to make your own tooling than great! Pics when you do. But going into building when cost is the primary drive is not the way to start out. People don't build because of price and by the time you buy the kit, barrel, receiver, and even the basic tools it's cheaper to buy.

Either way you go, pics when it's done!
    Last edited by 22many; 03-26-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    I have built my own tools and they work very well, the only thing that is kicking my ass is the barrel pin (virgin barrels). I just sent a barrel out to be repaired, I will give it one more try, but my next one is getting sent out to have the pin hole done professionally. I would rather do everything myself, but I know it is beyond my skills and tooling.
    22many likes this.
    That's it...bird-dog it!

Member #
    Liked
    2153 times
    Go for it, man. Might not be as cheap to build as it once was, but the process has a value in itself.

Personally, I'd build it with the original wire folding stock. It always felt sturdy enough for me and AMD-65s look badass.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8961 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
    Go for it, man. Might not be as cheap to build as it once was, but the process has a value in itself
    This!

This is why us builders build! For the fun of building something ourselves!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well i compared a couple receivers one milled 7.62 and one in 5.45. the only difference i see is in the mag well, longer and more narrow. i don't think it'll be an issue building on one. i also don't think i need professional quality tooling to do a rifle or two. the rivet punches look simple enough to make and the all thread/block idea i think will work out fine. of course the nice tools would be awesome but i'm not that serious about it. it would be easier and around the same price to just buy a completed rifle and way cheaper if i got all the tooling that ak builder sells. i don't see anything wrong with doing it the hard way just so i have a working rifle when i'm done. just more time and hassle. i appreciate the warnings though. i'm not getting a nice kit because this is a first time thing. if it goes well, i'll get something a bit better next time though i really like the looks of an amd63. looked at one while i was there and rethinking the fixed stock thing. you purist might get angry but anyone ever put a buffer tube on one? i'm thinking the extension would be nice having shouldered exactly what i want to build.

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblueovalfan23 View Post
    thanks i'll do that then. a bit disappointing. still might get a couple 74 receivers to sit on because they're done and cost what a flat would, less in some cases.

Boy do I have a deal for you ! Go to my thread "Newbie builds his first AK47 CONTINUDED" and look at the April 1 update and get back to me if you`re interested ?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You should be able to find those receivers for much cheaper than 60 bucks. I would keep looking, good luck with your build and keep us posted.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Haven't had much luck finding one. I grabbed a 74 receiver today so I'm gonna take a crack at making it work. Already got a mag fitting in to the rails. It's tight though. Plan one heating it and knocking the dimples out a hair. Shouldn't take much. Could prolly file it if I wanted to. If the trunnion is long enough, I should be good though it has 5.45 on the side. Good thing I'm not looking for a show piece I guess.

Sponsors