Can't make rivet dimples! Help.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Can't make rivet dimples! Help.

Iím having some serious trouble dimpling my receiver(s) so this is a long message, with lots of details so you know what Iíve tried and perhaps what I should try next.

First Iíve tried this on a global trades receiver with minimal success and Iím currently trying it on a nodakspud M70 Yugo underfold receiver with no success.

I tried taking a bolt (grade 8) and grinding it down to a point and lock-tightening it into a nut to keep it stable, then using a plinker STYLE jig to push the receiver down onto it. I also tried to do this with a ball bearing (1/4 inch). In addition I tried a ball bearing on either side of a receiver for the long rivets. Fist issue is the receiver likes to twist, which means I need to stop and try to reset everything. It is about impossible to keep it all aligned. Second, even when I have been successful in alignment it doesnít seem to make much of an indentation so the rivets do not fully set. Iím doing this all on a 20ton HF press and when I get to the point where Iím concerned about adding more pressure, I stop and look, no indentation. I could just press them in anyway, but cosmetically there will be a slight gap where the taper keeps the rivet from being totally flush.

I constantly keep up on techniques but Iím lost here. Iíve read all the posts on how to dimple but Iíve had no success. Anybody want to offer a solution? I could really use some help.

Details:
    Global trades standard receiver and NODAK Yugo M70 underfolder receiver
    AK-builder rivets
    DEFENS plinker style rivet jig (you can see it by searching)
    ľ ball bearings
    grade 8 bolts ground to a point.

HELP ME!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Probably won't have much luck with the DCI. Just counter sink it with a drill bit or use flat rivets. The globals are easy enough, I just use the ball bearing and bolt cutters.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, DCI makes a very tough shell, probably stronger than a factory receiver.

Its a bitch just drilling them.

Thats all good though!.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I use the AK Builder jig with a 12 ton shop press ..no problems with either type receiver
    RIN (Remember in November)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have you tried a m70 receiver gundoc? 1.0 mill shells ain't nothing but those damn yugos are a bitch.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yes i've done quite a few so far ..the trick is you have to spot anneal the hole for the swell neck rivet on the thicker receivers

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I was wondering if that's what you were doing. I'd rather not heat the receiver and just slightly counter sink it with a drill bit.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    it really dont hurt it at all...polish bright the area around holes ..use a piece of drill rod the same size and insert ..heat the drill rod not the receiver ..the receiver will act as a heat sink...when the area around the holes turns color from blue to straw its annealed. make your dimple, and its done..you can re-harden it if you wish ...your way is alot quicker

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    GUNDOC, That dimple tool is really for the long rivets on the rear. I've found it sinks the rivets in on the front too much. I just use the little nipple and the press ram for the front rivets.
    If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    it works just fine on the upper 2 holes in the front trunnion because it has plenty of support ..you have to use the nipple tool on the lower hole as you know and press it from the inside out..if you notice in my pic im not using the horse shoe shaped plate ..if you line it up carefully ,and just turn down the screw direct to the receiver it seems to make cleaner dimples..thats half the fun building these guns..experiment and see what works best for you....the rear long rivet and the shorter rivets should have the same taper as they are both swell necks...i guess its up to who's rivets you are using

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I heard somebody was using slingshot bearings
    and the boltcutter tool to make a dimple.

Sponsors