Differences between...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Differences between...

Bulgarian and Russian recoil assemblies?

This is not a big deal to most but it can be if your buying an advertised "Russian" recoil assembly or when striving to use as many Russian parts on your project as possible, it's nice to know.

The Bulgarian AKSU recoil assembly has a release button area much like your average 74. Short and stuby with the normal horizontally laid serrations throughout the complete length of contact area. You can see the capitol cyrillic "D" proof which is found on other Bulgarian parts as well.

The Russian AKSU recoil assembly however has a much taller release button area and does not resemble any other 74 variant. It is skinnier but has the same horizontally laid serrations covering only the upper half of the contact area. The lower half of the contact is smooth and rounded. You can see the capitol cyrillic "B" inside oval proof which is a common Tula quality stamp.

Differences between Bulgarian and Russian selector levers?

Withought knowing the propper terms for areas on the selector, it is difficult to try and put in words the differences. Look closesly and you'll be able to see the cosmetic differences of the two different selector levers.

The "head" of the axis point of the selector on the Bulgarian AKSU selector does not make up the diameter of the raised rib that runs the center of the selector. The outer ring surrounding the axis head is thinner and located high in the rib leaving a quarter moon area underneath the outer ring. The rib is wider than the Russian too.

The "head" of the axis point of the selector on the Russian AKSU selector does not make up the diameter of the raised rib but is more centered in the raised rib of the selector. The outer ring surrounding the axis head is a bit wider too. The rib comes to a "sharper" point than on the Bulgarian selector.

Note also the recoil assembly release button installed in each example above too.

You can compare the Russian parts on my AKSU above with an actual Russian AKSU below.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Strum,good post. Nice clear pics that show the difference very well.
    "A charging chariot knows no rank".

كافر

Retired akforum moderator.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Great post! Very cool info.
    Thanks for the nice pics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Nice post & photos, SG.

Are you sure that the only variable w/ the AKSU selectors is the country of manufacture? Are there chronological differences too like with the AK74?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My 74U has the taller soviet style top cover release. Thanks for the post.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I'm sure there is Mike like with all Kalashnikovs but Russian produced AKSU's are a bit easier to nail down because of their years in production being shorter than other 74 variants that are still being produced today.

The evolutionary scale, as it were, is shorter and easier to compare variations.

Like look at mine and look at the real 84 Russian. See on mine the flared tip but on the Russian it is smooth like that on the Bulgarian?

If you look at both Chamberlin's and Stottman's true factory deacts, theirs have the smooth tip. Now my selector I believe came off of a modern produced MMG and has the flared tip like this MMG AKSU

Selector is Russian but is it correct for my 84 clone? Probably not but I can live with it because all I have to do is put my last production (no cooling vents) Russian AKSU handguards on and be compliant.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2022 times

Thats a 1983. 1984 has no major differences that I can tell.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1141 times
    Lets talk about upper handguards. I notice on Robs early Krinkov with vented hand guards that the upper has the interior relief cut for the retainer clip at the backend. All of the Krinkov upper handguards I have examined have the cut in the middle. Is this a time line thing, variance of manufacture, or who knows why? I ask because I am looking for a correct Russian upper handguard to go with my vented lower and noticed the differences. Also can anyone tell me what is the difference in an AKM upper and a laminate type III upper.

Thanks
    jerry
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    My vented hand guard upper has it at the back Jerry.

I have 5 sets of the last generation (no cooling vents) hand guards, 3 of them being Russian and those uppers have it in the middle.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1141 times
    I have two sets of the late production Russian and one set of mid production Russian and they are all cut in the middle.
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Good post. Thanks for the info.
    "Any forum that would give up a little BOTD to gain a little bandwidth will deserve neither and lose both."

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Great pics.

How about differences in the trigger guards?

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Trigger guards aren't noticibly different from what I have seen. The difference is in the selector stop shape.

Ted said he used a Russian AKM selector stop on mine because it was closer to actual shape than the Bulgarian one. Though mine really doesn't look like any AKM selector stop I have seen.

I have a pic of the way I received it from Kansas
    I can't remember if that is the selector stop I sent off to Kansas but you got to realize Ted had to fashion a lot of parts to replace the ruined 7.62 ones that my kit was originally.

You can see how tall the selector stop is.

Look at all the actual AKSU pics above and you can see they are small and evenly rounded.

Mine does favor this 1984 selector stop shape however but is not exact...with the flatter starts on each end then a higher peak in the middle.

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/pro18.html

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, very big help! How's yor Krink look at night shooting?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What about Trunnions? Is the Krink trunnion different from an AK74 or Bulgie 5.56 AKM1A1? Bullet guide is obviously different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors