Bulgarian Barrel for Russian AKS-74U?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By myst173
  • 1 Post By AZAK
  • 1 Post By Blanksguy
  • 1 Post By Mr. Stizout
  • 1 Post By Blanksguy

Thread: Bulgarian Barrel for Russian AKS-74U?

Member #
    Liked
    83 times

Bulgarian Barrel for Russian AKS-74U?

I was wondering should I use a Bulgarian Barrel for a 1986 Russian AKS-74U? If not, what would be the preferred alternative? Below are the barrel stats. Thank you for your help!

Length: 8.25
    Trunnion Size: 22 mm (.866)
    Gas Block Type: Krink
    Port Hole: Yes
    Threads: No
    FSB Type: Krink
    Twist rate: 1 in 200 mm (7.87 in.)
    "Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves?... Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
    Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
    WTB 1P87 Red Dot

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1086 times
    Bulgarian barrels are pretty often used for the Russian kits. There's a member on here selling correct profile US made barrels as well, check the for sale threads you'll see his thread.

I haven't seen anyone with the bulgarian barrels in stock in awhile. KVar puts them up from time to time but they sell out quick.
    Sunspot and Mr. Stizout like this.
    Some of you are too young to remember this but back in my day we had so much toilet paper that we threw it into the trees of our enemies.

WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4443 times
    You'll want to confirm with others, but my understanding (based on recent experience ordering the uao85 barrels) is that there are two basic profiles (not counting any early Suchka variations). Early Soviet type that runs through the 1987 AKS74U (before Bulgarian started making them), and the later type that is profiled for the '88+ Soviet and all Bulgarian AKS74U rigs.
    Mr. Stizout likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by myst173 View Post
    Bulgarian barrels are pretty often used for the Russian kits. There's a member on here selling correct profile US made barrels as well, check the for sale threads you'll see his thread.

I haven't seen anyone with the bulgarian barrels in stock in awhile. KVar puts them up from time to time but they sell out quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    You'll want to confirm with others, but my understanding (based on recent experience ordering the uao85 barrels) is that there are two basic profiles (not counting any early Suchka variations). Early Soviet type that runs through the 1987 AKS74U (before Bulgarian started making them), and the later type that is profiled for the '88+ Soviet and all Bulgarian AKS74U rigs.
    Unfortunately, uao85 is out of stock of barrels. Barely missed it...

So I am looking at alternative courses of action.
    "Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves?... Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
    Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
    WTB 1P87 Red Dot

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4443 times
    With the purchase limits, no one's holding back a dozen for profit-taking. There probably are a limited number that will be resold; I don't have a kit for my second barrel but its the later version.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    If I remember the "thread"/ad correctly, he would be able to use the slightly longer Bulgarian AKS-74U Barrel with only having a slight protrusion out of the FS/GB by about .090"...….which this won't show as the Flash-Hider will cover it.
    …….but...…
    uao85 also had some "blem.-barrels that were not chrome-lined for sale also...……..with the only "blem." being slightly shorter at about 8.15". This may work out well if you are not required to have the chrome lining. Being slightly shorter (blem.) this may also set back inside the FS/GB by .090"....but go over and read the information in his write-up for making the barrels and his ad.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET
    Mr. Stizout likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanksguy View Post
    If I remember the "thread"/ad correctly, he would be able to use the slightly longer Bulgarian AKS-74U Barrel with only having a slight protrusion out of the FS/GB by about .090"...….which this won't show as the Flash-Hider will cover it.
    …….but...…
    uao85 also had some "blem.-barrels that were not chrome-lined for sale also...……..with the only "blem." being slightly shorter at about 8.15". This may work out well if you are not required to have the chrome lining. Being slightly shorter (blem.) this may also set back inside the FS/GB by .090"....but go over and read the information in his write-up for making the barrels and his ad.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET
    Thanks Richards. I will see what I could work out with uao85, if that does not work I will go for a Bulgarian barrel. BTW what was your MOS? Mine was 25A.
    Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
    WTB 1P87 Red Dot

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    the slightly longer Bulgarian AKS-74U Barrel with only having a slight protrusion out of the FS/GB by about .090
    Do the barrels normally stick out a little bit on either Russian or Bulgarian aksu74's or are they cut flush?

cgp

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    I have 3 barrels - BlueJack, Bulgarian, and the newer UAO85. The Bulgarian sticks out of the FSB by about an 1/8 or so inches. Not really an issue if you plan to use a muzzle device - but it sticks out.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Update: uao85 was able to help me out.
    Mitchell likes this.
    Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
    WTB 1P87 Red Dot

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mr. Stizout,
    I move around as the US Army needed me...…..Field Artillery and Infantry MOSs.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET
    Mr. Stizout likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Mr. Stizout,
    I move around as the US Army needed me...…..Field Artillery and Infantry MOSs.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET
    That is fantastic! Redlegger with a blue cord! I just served in the Signal Corps my entire military career, and had the privilege of being the S6 for a light infantry battalion for a few years. It was an eyeopener, and made me really appreciate folks in combat arms.
    Tench Coxe, 1788.

WTB Soviet 1P29 Scope
    WTB 1P87 Red Dot

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mr. Stizout,
    Good luck with the uao85 "blem." barrel...….he is very easy to order from.

Maybe show us some before/ during/ and after build-photos ………. everyone would really appreciate those.....and keeps interest going on builds.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors