mmmm AKS74U barrels nearing completion!!!!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By uao85
  • 1 Post By AZAK
  • 2 Post By uao85
  • 1 Post By AustinGR78
  • 1 Post By uao85

Thread: mmmm AKS74U barrels nearing completion!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    185 times

mmmm AKS74U barrels nearing completion!!!!

Just thought I would post up. Getting pretty excited personally because these have been a bit in the making. I had a little trouble finding a machinist to cut two different length profiles and was fortunate enough to find somebody local that was willing to see details through and is firearms savvy. The right Russian style crown, longer vs shorter profile for early vs later Tula profiles, a small step on the muzzle end that the factory uses as a small step to get the fsb started and aligned before pressing it into the final position, using Russian factory chamber tolerances etc. The list goes on and on. Best of all, creating a jig that allows every barrel to have the gas port dropped into the groove of the barrel without guess work, and in a barrel that has the correct twist rate at 1-6.3" and is made from 4150V steel.

Can't wait to shoot a few of them personally. For anybody curious or didn't already know, the shorter profile pertains to the earlier pre 88 Tula AKS74U rifles that have pinned barrel components. The longer profile is found on later post 88 Tula AKS74U rifles that have dimpled barrel components. The later profile will also work for Bulgarian AKS74U rifles of all years as well as slr104ur rifles.

Teaser pic.

Last edited by uao85; 09-20-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3920 times
    Fantastic news, thanks for doing this right. Sounds like these will be the first US barrels made-to-spec for the two Soviet/Russian AKS74U barrel types. Most welcome!
    Vlado likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    AWESOME! Thanks for the update. Do you have an ETA to market? Can't wait to get my hands on a few.
    WTB:
    - Pakistani G-S-A clover mags (Yes, it's actually G-S-A, not S-A-G! GSA stands for Gul Sons Arms -- an armoury in the Khyber Pass district.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    To answer a PM, yes these will be chrome lined as well. It will be done after all machine work is done to make sure that cutting the crown, extractor cut and gas port wont cut into the chrome lining!!!!

Also ETA. Hoping for 1-2 months. Machining is tedious to get done correctly. Chrome lining will take 2 weeks and shipping back and forth that is factored into that time frame.

I should have snapped a pic today when at the machinists shop. Held up a barrel to a pulled tula barrel stub. Crown was a dead ringer. Couldn't have gotten it more perfect. I'm stoked and will say I am probably going to be keeping a small(medium) sized pile of these for my own guilty pleasure haha.
    Last edited by uao85; 09-20-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    Fiorentino and AZAK like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1067 times
    nice!!!
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Now where are all the Tula kits hiding then?
    Vlado likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    мммм сучка, твой дом рядом ...

Original aksu stubs with new barrel

Original stub, bluejack v5, and new barrel.

Gas port in groove of randomly picked barrel. All are located in precisely same spot. Dead center.
    AZAK likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Opa! Nicely done!!!

Sent from my S48c using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am so damned excited for this. I was late to the party getting my ‘86 kit and was afraid I would have to settle for something with the wrong twist or profile but I am totally in for one of these now.
    Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit, and the body... of a rabbit.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Ok....so call me an idiot. Im getting the rest of my parts together and have an AK builder Krink Barrel. Other than the crown what’s the big issue? Is my Barrel bad? Is the profile a big difference?
    MEOW

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Очень хорошо! Благодарю вас, сколько дней?

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dantelecat View Post
    Очень хорошо! Благодарю вас, сколько дней?
    Хромированная накладка занимает некоторое время. Немного отставание там.

The profile on the AK builders barrels aren't bad. They aren't perfect, but nothing is perfect really. The twist rate is still 1-6 vs mine is a bit closer to factory original. The crown isn't quite correct on many of the AK builder barrels I have handled. Several even had bores that didn't appear concentric. I also don't think they make oversized trunnion journal barrels. Maybe they have started doing so, not sure myself. I know it will be pure luck if you get one with the gas port in the groove.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors