AK Rifles banner

Unusual AK47 Krinkov what is it?

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  TheRealRME 
#1 ·
Hi I live in the UK and recently purchased this deactivated short AK47 that bears a passing resemblance to a Krinkov and was described as being AMD65 based but appears to be more interesting as it bears fake Russian factory markings and very few other identifying marks and the shape of the handguard is very rounded unlike any other Kalashnikovs in my collection of which I have a few. The suggestion is that it could well be a field modified gun or one produced in Afghanistan or Pakistan has any one any ideas or seen such a version before?

Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Machine gun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Machine gun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

See less See more
#2 ·
For sure modified, looks like it was originally a hungarian AMD-65; looks like an AMD hinge got welded up to a homemade triangle stock, booster looks odd and is either homemade or there is an adapter to fit those muzzle threads, trunnion serial looks similar to hungarian I've had but the arsenal mark looks fake, barrel components look like AMD, but furniture and gas tube are homemade/replacements. Very odd piece, what's going on with the magazine well dimples? Is that a weld that is part of the deact process?

#3 ·
Thanks it is a bit of a Frankenstein gun without any original makers marks but nevertheless an interesting piece the dealer had an almost identical piece which I will also post some photos of I am intrigued to narrow down where in the world it originated. The magazine well dimples are due to the way in which automatic weapons are deactivated here in the UK.

#5 ·
Even with that weld in the middle the mag well dimples do look like legit Hungarian to my eyes.

The center support rivet and selector markings will tell for sure.

#4 · (Edited)
Can you post a close up picture of the right side of the receiver?

I'm specifically looking for an image of the center support rivet, mag well dimple and selector marks.

The letter prefix and numbers on the trunnion do seem consistent with Hungarian AMD65 rifles. It looks like someone added the triangle and arrow - maybe.

Neat deact. Gives me some ideas for my AMD65 project.

#6 ·
It looks like a an Afghan/Pakistani hack job gun to me: the receiver looks reasonably legit. There were plenty of AMDs shipped to Afghanistn in the beginning of the war.

#7 ·
Classic "Khyber Pass" rifle, the ultimate in cool funkiness. I can only wonder how it found its way to the UK. If it wasn't deactivated we'd be warning you not to fire the thing.

#8 ·
There were two almost identical 7.62 Krinkovs in the batch of AKs I inspected before buying both of them as they were so unusual here are some photos of its brother which I would suggest was created by the same gunsmith as the similarities are so great. This one has no discernible selector markings and the same fake manufacturers mark. I will later post some photos of it alongside my actual AMD65.
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Rifle Gun Wood Shotgun Air gun
Auto part
Material property Strap Buckle Belt

#12 · (Edited)
It is definitely a Hungarian receiver.

The dome shaped center support is a giveaway. So far that I have seen every Hungarian sheetmetal receiver was made with a domed center support.

Even with the weld added I can also tell the well dimples are Hungarian.

The skinny pistol grip is Bulgarian.

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah, originally Hungarian with “significant modifications” via the gun shops in Darra Adam Khel, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Pakistan.

I will add that “Krinkov” is not the best descriptor since the word is more correctly used for the factory-produced Soviet AKS74U short carbines. A little research might turn up the Pashto name used by their creators. In the US, collectors have generally referred to these modified AKs with folding stock as Khyber Pass rifles.

#21 ·
Hi Larry, it isn't a Khyber but a modified AMD-65. This design is done in Iraq and was done to a large number of AMD-65, a handful made it to the UK and this was one of them. Usually they do not get the scrubbed trunnion treatment but this one did. I am guessing you got it from CWC as I know Jip had that for sale a couple years back now. I and a couple colleagues at Silah Report, one in Iraq and another in another part of the Middle-East, did some digging on these and that confirmed source is indeed Iraq.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.