Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992)
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992)

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times

Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992)

The Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1993)

The goal of this guide is to combine the entire community's knowledge on Tula AKS-74U's into a single thread, in the spirit and style of Tantal's invaluable AK-74 guide. The hope is that through a combination of research, debates, and sharing of information- that this may become the definitive resource for AKSU variations through the years for collectors and enthusiasts.

As you page through this, please take note of the overwhelming amount of contributions members here have given in such a short amount of time. No contribution is too small! Also note that this guide is meant to summarize the most common observations that have been made- there's usually going to be that nagging exceptional example that will defy the guide.

Please fire away with criticism, questions, examples, etc!!!

Also note that this is a work in progress and is far from complete. Recommendations for topics covered would be greatly appreciated

Note- images purposely shrunk for ease in navigating this monstrosity of a thread, please be sure to click on the pictures if you are studying them

Section I- Part Variation

[For starters, I'm only going to cover parts that very obviously changed and which I have a rough idea of the timeline. More to come]

Front Sight/Rear Hinge Blocks

The main difference here is the transition from pinned FSB's to punch-pressed FSB's that occurred in the other two main Soviet factories as well. I am almost certain now the the change happened in 1987, and that there was very little or no transitional period.

Barrels

Images are taken from two 1984 examples. I've seen the Tula star on the barrel on multiple examples. Besides the star, the font of the numbers are a dead give away. [Since the primary source for this document is deacts, most barrels I encounter are destroyed. Any examples you may have saved and wouldn't mind posting would be of help!]

Handguard Retainers

photos courtesy of Justinmcmillion

The transition from Type A to Type B occurred in 1985. The majority of '85 examples display the Type A, so this most likely occurred later in the year.

Feed Ramps

A one-rivet feed ramp is found on examples from 1982 until they transitioned to a double rivet feed ramp starting in 1989. The ratio of one rivet:two rivet in 1989 is approximately 3:1, so I believe it was in the later quarter of '89. [See 1989 in Section II for serial number range]

Top Covers

photo courtesy of Justinmcmillion

Type A top covers had the top portion riveted on with 2 rivets (only one of the rivets is seen externally) while Type B had 3-rivets (only two seen externally). I believe this transition began in 1984, and was nearly or totally complete by the start of 1985.

Bolt Carriers

Much like the punch pressed barrel parts, the change that occurred to the bolt carriers was one that also occurred at Molot and Izhmash. I believe the transition occurred solely in 1988. I've circled the areas that are different, as these can actually be fairly tricky to distinguish unless you are looking at the left hand side.

Bolts

Unfortunately, this is another part that I am unsure of if any variation occurred through the years due to them being destroyed in the deact process. Variation occurred however in the numbering system, which is noted for each individual year in Section II.

Trigger Guards

All Tula AKSU's have the crowned stop plate tab seen in the left image. Also note the single trigger bump on the right hand side. Two diamond proofs (usually it's only one) can also be seen on the receiver section. The picture all the way on the right shows another triangle proof that is found on the actual trigger guard.

Mag Latches

Photo courtesy of Justinmcmillion

This transition to Type B occurred in early 1986. The only recorded examples of a 1985 I have with a type B thus far are verified to have been made in 1986 with a leftover trunnion from '85. [See 1986 in Section II for serial range]

Selector Levers

This one is from an '86. As of right now, I haven't observed any differences through the years of production. I'd be very interested if anyone with a '93/any year could compare theirs to an '86 for us and let us know if you see any difference

Fire-Control Groups

Right-most photo courtesy of Tantal

The Tula trigger (lever) will have no mold markings, and the characteristic shiny black Tula finish. Several variations of the proof mark have been noted- the key is the lack of mold markings. As the picture demonstrates, the early "L-shaped" spacer was replaced early on by the commonly seen spacer which lasted until the end of production. No rate-reducer was found on any year AKSU from the factory.

Recoil Guides

Photo courtesy of Justinmcmillion

The Type A recoil guide had a beefier profile on the part that latched the top cover. The Type B one was slightly thinner and appears to have had a greater height. This change occurred sometime before or during 1986. I have not noticed any further modifications to the design after that so far

Boosters

It is very difficult to date transitions for removable parts. I believe the transition happened in 1988, but with that said I have quite a large number of 1987 examples that have the Type B and appear relatively untouched.

Handguards

Early Vented vs. Late Vented-

Photo courtesy of Jithaca

Type A (vented) lasted from 1982 into 1985. Two versions of vented-era handguards are found - see Jithaca's post (post #16). Type B (commonly referred to as "mid-era" HG's) is essentially the same thing as the vented ones, but lacks the cooling vents. They lasted until 1988, after which Type C ("late era") appeared. Type C has smaller finger grooves. While the fitment proof always occured on the left hand side closest to the receiver, the numbering system evolved several times. From 1982-1985, the last three digits of the serial were added on the LHG. They were stamped on the right side of the LHG in 1982 only, and on the left handside until 1985. A large number of these transitions occured in 1985. First, vented/numbered transitioned to nonvented/numbered, and finally to nonvented/nonnumbered. (more on this will be discussed in the year by year section). With the exception of cooling vents, I have not noticed any difference in upper hand guards.

LHG Numbering-

Selector Markings

By 1988, the selector markings became bolder. While not that big of a deal, they actually are extremely useful for roughly dating examples with low quality pictures.

Pistol Grips/Grip Nut

Just about every unaltered example I've seen from 1982-1985 contains a PG from the Type A molds (1-X -> 3-X). I believe that the Type B molds (4-X -> 6-X) were created by 1986, based on the Rguns '86 kits. While no single mold is only correct for one year- each particular year seems to have a mold that was most frequently found on each example (for example- 3-X in 1985, 4-X in 1986, etc). These will be covered in the year-year section.

^ This one is from an '86. Standard triangle proof like most other parts on the gun, along with obvious Tula machining marks
    Last edited by Fiorentino; 08-31-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times
    Section II - Year by Year Variations

-Early: 1982-1985-

Front Sight/Rear Sight Blocks- Type A pinned
    HG Retainer- Type A straight
    Feed Ramp- Type A single-rivet
    Top Cover- Type A two-rivet
    Bolt Carrier- Type A
    Mag Latch- Type A AKM-style
    Booster- Type A beveled
    Handguards- Presumably early vented. The majority displays last three digits of serial on right side (unique to ’82), and switched to the left side before the year ended. [See post #127]
    Most Common Pistol Grip Mold- 1-X
    Selector Markings- Type A
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt, carrier, gastube (last four digits), lower handguard (last 3). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), selector lever (last 3), extractor (last 3).

Photo courtesy of Stottman

Top Cover- Type A two-rivet
    Bolt Carrier- Type A
    Booster- Type A beveled
    Handguards- Type A vented. Most likely “late vented”. [If anyone has an early-vented set with serial numbers on the left side, please let us know]
    Most Common Pistol Grip Mold-
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt, carrier, gastube (last four digits), lower handguard (last 3). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), selector lever (last 3), extractor (last 3).

Top Cover- Type A two-rivet transitioned to Type B at some point during the year
    Bolt Carrier- Type A
    Booster- Type A beveled
    Handguards- Type A vented. Most likely late-vented, but this is unverified so far.

HG Retainer- Type A mostly, with the transition to Type B occurring towards the end of the year. I believe the transition was complete before 1986
    Top Cover- All examples found thus far have the Type B cover, but it is possible the transition from Type A extended into '85
    Bolt Carrier- Type A
    Booster- Type A beveled
    Handguards- Three different styles on handguards occurred in 1985. In order of occurrence: 1) late-vented/numbered 2) unvented mid era/numbered (note- these are unique to ’85) and finally 3) unvented mid-era/unnumbered. [I have noticed quite a large number of examples contain a mix of vented/nonvented handguards. I originally assumed they had simply been changed out, but due to the overwhelming number of examples like this I am starting to believe that some examples left the factory with a vented lower/unvented upper or a nonvented lower/vented upper. Any thoughts?]
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt, carrier, gastube (last four digits), lower handguard (last 3) which was eventually stopped at some point during the year. Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), selector lever (last 3), extractor (last 3).

Last edited by Fiorentino; 08-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.
    Lord AK-47, TPinFl and flintoid like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times
    -Mid: 1986-1988-

HG Retainer- Type B, possibly a few examples with leftover Type A’s but I have not definitively observed this yet
    Top Cover- Type B three-rivet.
    Bolt Carrier- Type A
    Mag Latch- Type A AKM-style early with the transition to Type B occurring shortly after. The transition started around 122XXX in the first production line and 52XXXX in the second production line.
    Booster- Type A beveled
    Handguards- Type B nonvented mid-era
    Most Common Pistol Grip Mold- 4-X
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt, carrier, gastube (last four digits). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), selector lever (last 3), extractor (last 3).

Front Sight/Rear Sight Blocks- Type A pinned, with the change to Type B press-punched late in the year.
    HG Retainer- Type B
    Top Cover- Type B three-rivet
    Bolt Carrier- Type A
    Mag Latch- Type B
    Booster- Type A beveled which I believe transitioned to Type B nonbeveled [it is difficult to tell due to this being a removeable/nonnumbered part]
    Handguards- Type B nonvented mid-era
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt (changed to last 3 in ‘87), carrier (changed to last 4 in ’87), gastube (last four). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), selector lever (last 3), extractor (last 3).

[Note- 1987 is the year I am in most need of pictures. Almost all examples I have found are within a very close serial number range, so hammering down the key transitions that occurred between ’87 and ’88 are challenging]

Front Sight/Rear Sight Blocks- Type B punch-pressed
    HG Retainer- Type B
    Bolt Carrier- Type A transitioning into Type B
    Mag Latch- Type B
    Booster- Type A beveled which I believe transitioned to Type B nonbeveled [it is difficult to tell due to this being a removeable part]
    Handguards- Type B nonvented mid-era most likely transitioning into Type C late-era. Since these are non-numbered, it is difficult to tell exactly when the transition occurred but due to nearly every 1989 example I’ve seen containing Type C, I feel confident ’88 was the year.
    Selector Markings- Type B
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt (last 3), carrier (last 4). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), gastube (last 3), extractor (last 3). Note- at some point during this year the selector lever ceased to be numbered.

Last edited by Fiorentino; 08-23-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times
    -Late: 1989-1993-

Front Sight/Rear Sight Blocks- Type B dimpled
    HG Retainer- Type B
    Feed Ramp- Type A single-rivet transitioning into Type B beginning somewhere around 45XXXX in the first production line and 84XXXX in the second.
    Bolt Carrier- Type B
    Mag Latch- Type B
    Booster- Type B nonbeveled
    Handguards- Type C late-era
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt (last 4), carrier (last 4). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), gastube (last 3), extractor (last 3).

Note- The 3-cluster barrel proofs ended somewhere around '88 or '89 and were replaced by the following:

HG Retainer- Type B
    Feed Ramp- Type B two-rivet
    Bolt Carrier- Type B
    Mag Latch- Type B
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt (last 4), carrier (last 4). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), gastube (last 3), extractor (last 3).

Photo courtesy of Elliot308

HG Retainer- Type B
    Bolt Carrier- Type B
    Mag Latch- Type B

HG Retainer- Type B
    Bolt Carrier- Type B
    Mag Latch- Type B
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt (last 4), carrier (last 4). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), extractor (last 3).

HG Retainer- Type B
    Bolt Carrier- Type B
    Mag Latch- Type B
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt (last 4), carrier (last 4). Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), extractor (last 3)

Note- these were unique models. The belief is that the large majority of these were semi-auto and meant for the European civilian market. An example has also be reported by Tantal to have been used in a military conflict. Ultimately, the large majority of the parts it seems were for some reason sanitized of their star and sold as "Dummy" guns. These were essentially deacts straight from Tula. While most were dated '93, several runs of these occurred after that date and the date on them changed. I've seen examples dated 2003, 2007, 2009, and 2013. The first image below is of a non-sanitized example that *might* be the war-vet Doug mentioned (unconfirmed). The next two are verified to be from the semi-auto contract, and were kindly submitted by Talmadge for us.

Photo courtesy of Talmadge

Photo courtesy of Talmadge
    Last edited by Fiorentino; 10-18-2014 at 06:19 AM.

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times
    [unfinished]

Section III - Magazines & Accessories

This section is going to deal with all accessories the Soviet's made for the AKSU, to include - cleaning gear, magazines/pouches, slings, literature, etc etc

Manuals

Armor's manuals-

Here's a .pdf file of the 1986 edition of the manual (published in '92) - http://www.scribd.com/doc/115001434/...UN-manual-1992

End user manuals-

These are paperback and much shorter. I believe they are what was issued to the individual soldier/end user

Cleaning

Cleaning Rods-

Photo courtesy CAB (RIP)

The bottom one is early, while the top combined unit is late. All of the arsenals switched to the late style towards the end of production; Tula sometime in 1986. After 1982, it became common for the majority of mag pouches to have a slot specifically for the AKSU cleaning rod-

Cleaning Kits-

Early-

The easiest way to identify these is the unmistakable Tula black finish. Some (including the one pictured) also had the characteristically Tula circle proof

Late-

Slings-

The AKSU specific slings were designed with a thinner width, and nearly all were marked like the example below (OTK stamp + last two digits of the year). Several Bulgarian/modern/who knows that are similar are sometimes seen for sale, but the genuine Soviet ones didn't vary much in color/stamp/construction from below-

Airborne Accessories

Holsters-

Drop Cases-

Last edited by Fiorentino; 08-31-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    TPinFl and flintoid like this.

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times
    reserved 3

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2984 times
    Very nice, Mike, I like it! It will take some time to look everything over.

Man, it takes a lot of work and time to do these types of things, huh?
    evolixsurf likes this.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I've always wanted an 88 dated krink. For that matter, I want an 88 AK74, AKS74, and RPK74. Lol!
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure.

AK-47, the Lord of War

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Very nice, Mike, I like it! It will take some time to look everything over.

Man, it takes a lot of work and time to do these types of things, huh?
    Thanks Doug, that means alot. All I can say about the work and time is, I have absolutely no clue how you managed to do the AK-74 guide. I always appreciated it, but way more now. Seems like there's always nagging exceptions...

Quote Originally Posted by Badkarma88 View Post
    I've always wanted an 88 dated krink. For that matter, I want an 88 AK74, AKS74, and RPK74. Lol!
    I totally forgot to paste that section! Check now, there's pictures added of 88's. The 25 picture limit is such a pain in the ass.

-Benjamin Franklin

cgp

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Nice. Here's my 85

evolixsurf, Mikec23 and fly like this.

Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Mike,

Great job as far as I can see so far. I haven't had a chance to read closely, but will definitely be getting deep into this. I had a 93 dated kit for awhile, but was not happy with it because the star was ground. I would like to get an 83 and an 87 or 89 dated kit at some point in time.

MDI

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    What a great guide Mike!

A ton of work for sure! Nice to see the variations. I wish we could have these here in the PRK.

Robert
    WTB/WTT

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3293 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cgp View Post
    Nice. Here's my 85
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, you got me green with envy on that score sir Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by mdi13 View Post
    Mike,

Great job as far as I can see so far. I haven't had a chance to read closely, but will definitely be getting deep into this. I had a 93 dated kit for awhile, but was not happy with it because the star was ground. I would like to get an 83 and an 87 or 89 dated kit at some point in time.

MDI
    Means an awful lot coming from you Martin, thanks. An 82-83 kit is probably my AK holy grail. In the mean time, I've been swapping out parts on my shooter '86 kit with early parts. I have been piecing together virgin late era parts forever now in hopes of building an '89, but I can't for the life of me track down the punch pressed barrel parts yet.

I wasn't sure if I should include 1993 Tula's or not, what do you think? So far, I've only been able to find examples of "dummy" guns (with the shaved off star) and no actual real-deal military example.

This is the only image I have of a '93 with an intact star-

It has the same circle A proof I see on the dummy guns, so I'm leaning towards it probably being a dummy that escaped the star being ground off. Unfortunately, that's the only image I have of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tanakasan View Post
    What a great guide Mike!

A ton of work for sure! Nice to see the variations. I wish we could have these here in the PRK.

Robert
    Thanks buddy! I guess you're just gonna have to settle for the most beautiful women in the world and heaven-on-earth weather in the meantime

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Thanks Mike, now I have more stuff to learn!!!! My brain is going to explode!!!
    evolixsurf and Fiorentino like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1273 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkarma88 View Post

88 AK74 kits are still available
    Oh god and his infinite wisdom would never have ordained that!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors