Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992) - Page 4
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992)

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by talmadge View Post
    I got one of the group buy AKSU packages. The oiler is fairly unremarkable, it has a 7 molded on the side and an 11-3 on the lid. I know the "-" means Tula on the pistol grips, but on the oiler? I don't know. There is a stamp on the bottom roughly in the shape of a Z. The ink is purplish.

Where is the cleaning rod slot supposed to be? The mag pouch that came with my AKSU package is a 4-cell and I can't find any sort of sleeve for a cleaning rod. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places though. This is the same person who took forever to find the hidden compartment in the Kobra carrying case..
    Thank you very much for the info. Sounds like there might be enough features to distinguish Tula. I'm not sure though if the oilers were still made in house or not by the time AKSU production started. By the sounds of it though they might have been. I'm guessing that would be really hard to photograph, but if you manage to get a shot for the guide that would be great

It's in the back below the flap-

You'll be able to see the stitching for it on the outside even. Sorry I don't have a better picture handy, but once you realize the location it should be dead obvious if yours has it or not. If not, I'll take a better picture tomorrow
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    I got one too but it hasn't come in yet.... better check the front door!

My SVD kit came in, well worth the money!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Drats! Nothing at the front door. That's what I get for living in the sticks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Drats! Nothing at the front door. That's what I get for living in the sticks.
    I shoulda guessed you grabbed one buddy! Are they still for sale somewhere? I almost bought the set solely to get the oiler, but kslay88 told me he'd never let me live down spending $100+ for a plastic bottle haha
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    They didn't all start out having that slot, but later on I think it was integrated into most later-dated AK74 pouches. It used to be damn hard to find one with a slot, at least until all these mint new mid-late 80's pouches flooded in relatively recently. IMO, they also really never made a three-cell mag pouch intended just for a 5,45 rifle, regardless of what you might have "read on the internet". The only plastic oil bottles i trust as being Tula are the ones with the big ridge or lip around the top, but they might have made others during that long time frame for these rifles. I'd love to know for sure, and look forward to seeing images posted of what people might have collected in this area.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    I shoulda guessed you grabbed one buddy! Are they still for sale somewhere? I almost bought the set solely to get the oiler, but kslay88 told me he'd never let me live down spending $100+ for a plastic bottle haha
    Yep, I have the bug. I hope this isn't taken as a blatant advertisement for Alex but every time I get something from him I am impressed. If he offers a kit I am pretty much in! I have a few more goodies arriving tomorrow, hopefully it will be in with those.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    I'm not sure though if the oilers were still made in house or not by the time AKSU production started
    I dare ask, but where do you imagine Tula would get their oil bottles if they are not made "in house".

I'd really like to see the "accessory kits", and BTW, who sold them, RG or Alex?

$100 for an oil bottle sounds like a bargain to me.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    I dare ask, but where do you imagine Tula would get their oil bottles if they are not made "in house".

I'd really like to see the "accessory kits", and BTW, who sold them, RG or Alex?

$100 for an oil bottle sounds like a bargain to me.
    I'm regretting not buying the oil bottle now! I must have emailed half of Ukraine to find all those accessories, and that's the only thing I wasn't able to find (definitively) damn't!

Yeah disregard that. You taught me that the two arsenals were entirely self suffiecient from eachother by design in case one factory was captured/bombed/etc during a war- but I thought I had read some of the accessories were contracted out, namely the slings/mag pouches/drop cases. Wasn't sure if that extended to the oilers once they became the generic black ones, but I just found one clearly with the Izzy mark on it so they weren't as generic as I thought

If anyone wants to to set a world record for sale of a little plastic bottle and save me $100, please PM me

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Which one do you need? No images? Can't tell me where you say the kits listed for $100 each? Okay, i see how this is gonna be, now. This can go both ways, Mikey. Hell, if you weren't so cryptic, maybe i'd know what you need and give you the damn thing free of charge, haha!

Fiorentino likes this.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Which one do you need? No images? Can't tell me where you say the kits listed for $100 each? Okay, i see how this is gonna be, now. This can go both ways, Mikey. Hell, if you weren't so cryptic, maybe i'd know what you need and give you the damn thing free of charge, haha!

You're too damn kind to a SOB like me! I think you're mistaking me being a dumbass in expressing myself as me being cryptic unfortunately, haha.

Ever since someone was kind enough to sell me a genuine real-deal AKSU cleaning kit, I managed to gather all the other accessories except for the oiler. A guy overseas on gunbroker had a whole bunch of accessories sets pulled straight from an AKSU crate-

All I needed was the damn bottle! I have no clue how to spot a true Tula AKSU bottle (and guessed they might be impossible to tell apart from other black oilers), so I figured getting that package would be the only way I could actually find one. The package was like $100+ IIRC, but kslay88 explained to me how incredibly stupid it would be to spend that much money so I could get a damn oil bottle haha. They soldout a few months back or I'd post the link

Talmage was nice enough to post a description of the bottle, so now I know what to keep my eyes open for atleast -

Quote Originally Posted by talmadge View Post
    The oiler is fairly unremarkable, it has a 7 molded on the side and an 11-3 on the lid. I know the "-" means Tula on the pistol grips, but on the oiler? I don't know. There is a stamp on the bottom roughly in the shape of a Z. The ink is purplish.
    (NOTE- I'm fully aware how unbelievably obsessed this post demonstrates me with my collection )

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    I got my accessory kit more than a few months back, but it has all the same components. I don't know if I got it from that guy on gunbroker you're talking about or not. All I know is that there was a group buy on akfiles, I sent money to a guy and my kit arrived a couple weeks later. Seems like it was less than $100, but I can't really remember and I can't find the thread.

My Bulgarian is playing dress up until I can get a real Tula kit.. Oh, and my magazine pouch does have the slot for the cleaning rod, I just didn't know that's what it was.

Fiorentino likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Well, Mike, IMHO that's a standard Izhmash-produced oil bottle, like what you get with modern Saiga rifles. I've sold hundreds of them in the past. I might have several left, I'll go $50 on on one, that saves you 50% off, lol!
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    If I get time tomorrow, I'll post a picture of an oil bottle that to the best of my knowledge came from Tula. It is quite a bit different than the Izhevsk bottles. That said, all of my AKSU manuals don't show the bottle I have. They show the bottle in the pictures in the posts above. Also, please note that the bottles shown in the previous posts come in several variations; plastic vs. metal cap, with and without Izhevsk arrow-in-triangle logo, etc.

Early bottles also exist in plum color. I have seen at least two plum Izhevsk marked bottles, but do not own one.

MDI

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Thanks, Mart! I'd love to see what you can contribute. This is a very important subject that needs more research done, guys. Tula may have made a more Izzy looking bottle at some point in time, but I would not expect it to look exactly like a modern Izhmash bottle, or have an Izhmash mold number on it. I'm thinking they have no mold numbers on the side, and if anyone can post one without a number that came in an "AKSU accessory package," then i'd be very impressed, enough to think it's in all likelihood a true Tula-made AKSU issue bottle. I don't think I've ever owned a standard looking black plastic Russian bottle without a mold number. I did order some bottles for Robinson Arms decades ago, because I knew they got them from Molot. I'l have to dig my RPK74 pouches out and see how they compare, but I seem to remember they had some sort of mold numbers.

I sdo sort of question the one's sold with the AKm kits, which many have said are tula. Those are the ridgetop bottles, very well made and I love them, but they have what appears to be a UKR arsenal marking on the bottom from what I cans ee. The AKSU manuals do not show a bottle with a ridged top, either. I wonder how the origin for these was determined in the first place, anyone know? Just because many came with refurbed Tula kits, and they looked so obviously different? They could very well be Tula bottles, I have no direct knowledge one way or the other but I like them, and calling them Tula oil bottles is cool with me, haha.
    Last edited by Tantal; 08-15-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    1878 times
    Can I join the "I don't have a Tula bottle" club? I know the secret knock...

Last edited by Weaponmark; 08-15-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors