Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992) - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992)

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3558 times
    I should probably note though that the Soviet's were extremely strict with the numbering schemes and the chances of it leaving the factory without numbers would be very slim. As Tantal noted in a recent thread on AKM production, even the location and font of how they electrostenciled the serial on sight leafs was uniform for example. For that reason, I'd have to think if the HG's were originally (which I bet they were), that them having lost the numbers due to wear is the most likely explanation to a high degree.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3005 times
    They had to have numbers when they left the factory.

I remember when that Wilson AKSU sold on Gunbroker, it was missing it's original handguards. I wonder what happened to them?
    Last edited by Tantal; 08-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Fiorentino likes this.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3558 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    They had to have numbers when they left the factory.

I remember when that Wilson AKSU sold on Gunbroker, it was missing it's original handguards. I wonder what happened to them?
    Thanks for chiming in Doug. I could have sworn I read they cut the HG's and gastube in half during the demill for God knows what reason! I clearly remember my blood running cold when I read that..... ugh. Hopefully I'm wrong
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3005 times
    The fact they cut them up at all provides a hint at the IQ levels involved.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3558 times
    The fact they cut them up at all provides a hint at the IQ levels involved.
    I can see it now...

Dumbass #1-"These pieces of worn out old wood look like they are essential to the gun's function"

Dumbass #2-"Oh yeah, you better cut them up then. Keep the barrel intact though, it has had glue poured down it already that should hold forever"

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3558 times
    Quote Originally Posted by starkings View Post
    no matter logic or assumptions - i believe that these are the original handguards and they are not numbered. true latter obviously the handgaurds were numbered, but most likely under 251### they were not numbered. i have seen two krinks under 251### and neither had numbers. not saying this is an absolute case for all but it's two out of two for my eyes. i don't think there is substantial wear present to say that the numbers were scrubbed off either. i just don't think they ever existed in the first place on the early first year production gun like the wilson krink.

Attachment 8722Attachment 8723
    Note the serial number 213426, this one is earlier-

All other examples I have posted in the 1982 section have the original, numbered handguards.

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3005 times
    Yes, numbered before and after that serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    I can see it now...
    Dumbass #1-"These pieces of worn out old wood look like they are essential to the gun's function"
    Dumbass #2-"Oh yeah, you better cut them up then. Keep the barrel intact though, it has had glue poured down it already that should hold forever"
    I figure somebody just decided to pocket the original handguards and said screw keeping the kit intact, no matter how historical it was. To cut through them while leaving the barrel intact makes no sense. But in any case, the missing handguards really took away from the value of that kit.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3005 times
    Guys. I think you can still just barely make out the "2" (of 392) in that right hand side image that starkings posted of the CW rifle. They stamp them inline with the spring slot, and that's where the "2" is located, at just about the right distance it should be using three-digit spacing. That flat area is pretty high wear, so I can see how the numbers might get worn smooth over time. I guess we will never know, now.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3558 times
    Yes, numbered before and after that serial number.

I figure somebody just decided to pocket the original handguards and said screw keeping the kit intact, no matter how historical it was. To cut through them while leaving the barrel intact makes no sense. But in any case, the missing handguards really took away from the value of that kit.
    It really is a shame, and really hard to replace even with a mismatched lower. I've been searching for a set with numbers on the right for sale for years now and I can't recall ever seeing them. The auction showed it coming with a black bulgy PG as well, so I bet your theory is correct. Finding the correct HG's and a 1-X grip is no easy task so it's a damn shame...

-Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Guys. I think you can still just barely make out the "2" (of 392) in that right hand side image that starkings posted of the CW rifle. They stamp them inline with the spring slot, and that's where the "2" is located, at just about the right distance it should be using three-digit spacing. That flat area is pretty high wear, so I can see how the numbers might get worn smooth over time. I guess we will never know, now.
    tantal - i stand corrected your correct the wilson krink has the number on the handgaurd. i hear the gas tube, handgaurds and strap were all recovered a few months after the auction. the pistol grip was possibly the only item still missing.

(1.) original.... (2.) traced filling gaps.... (3.) overlaid....

20140807-006.jpg20140807-006b.png20140807-006a.png
    Last edited by starkings; 08-07-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3005 times
    Roger that, man!
    K C A

cgp

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Fiorentino, thanks for providing detailed descriptions for each year. It's that info that made me open up my kit and attempt to match the parts up based on your descriptions. I would like to note a few differences from the pictures you posted. My comments in red.

Front Sight/Rear Sight Blocks- Type A pinned (Mine has what looks like a mold mark 11)

HG Retainer- Type A straight mostly. I believe late 1985 was the transition to the Type B pattern, but the majority of examples I’ve seen contain Type A (Looks like mine is a Type B)

Feed Ramp- Type A single-rivet

Top Cover- Type A two-rivet & Type B three-rivet. I have seen examples of both in 1985, so I believe this was the transition year. (mine is a Type B)

Bolt Carrier- Type A (Type B)

Mag Latch- Type A AKM-style (Type B)

Booster- Type A beveled (confirmed)

Handguards- Three different styles on handguards occurred in 1985. In order of occurrence: 1) late-vented/numbered 2) unvented mid era/numbered (note- these are unique to ’85) and finally 3) unvented mid-era/unnumbered. [I have noticed quite a large number of examples contain a mix of vented/nonvented handguards. I originally assumed they had simply been changed out, but due to the overwhelming number of examples like this I am starting to believe that some examples left the factory with a vented lower/unvented upper or a nonvented lower/vented upper. Any thoughts?]

Mine came with non-vented handguards. But it's good to know that they were issued as mix-n-match, because I have a vented lower and non-vented upper.

Most Common Pistol Grip Mold-
    Selector Markings- Type A
    Numbered Parts- Stamped: Trunnion, bolt, carrier, gastube (last four digits), lower handguard (last 3) which was eventually stopped at some point during the year. Stenciled: Top cover (last 4), selector lever (last 3), extractor (last 3).

Fiorentino likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3558 times
    I was hoping you'd give us the run down on that kit cgp! If you ever need a kidney buddy, please send me a PM

I'm gonna keep researching the HG situation. While I've seen enough examples with mixed furniture to consider it pretty damn likely some left the factory like that- I'm still waiting to find one that is without question 100% factory original. It makes sense that they would use up all the remaining vented sets though, and we certainly have endless examples of the Soviets using up old style parts mixed in with new ones. So while I can't say it for 100% sure yet, I'd sure as hell be building it with a mix as that screams 1985 based on what I've seen. When I get some time I'll post up the best mixed furniture images I got

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3558 times
    Meh, got some bad news that my brother's pup is on his way out.. so I worked on this tonight to get that shit off my mind. I added pictures of a genuine Tula barrel to the first post (really cool, it actually has a Tula star on it), and I started a brand new section on accessories after the year-year section (post #5). Not the sexiest section for sure, but I included AKSU holsters.... pretty friggin badass!

Couple questions popped up for anyone who can help out-

1) Were the 3-magazine pouches AKSU specific? I have zero information on them

2) I remember reading a thread years ago where it was said that the mag pouches with the slot for the AKSU cleaning rod are AKSU specific. Every single mag pouch I have has the slot for the cleaning rod. There's no chance I'm that lucky! What do you guys think? I'm guessing the cleaning rod slot was just standard on most of the pouches.... either that or I'm buying a lottery ticket

3) Oil bottles. Did anyone buy those AKSU accessories packages that were sold on gunbroker and was a group buy on AKFiles? If so, did you notice anything whatsoever that could distinguish the plastic oiler as Tula? Doubtful, but figured I'd check

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    I got one of the group buy AKSU packages. The oiler is fairly unremarkable, it has a 7 molded on the side and an 11-3 on the lid. I know the "-" means Tula on the pistol grips, but on the oiler? I don't know. There is a stamp on the bottom roughly in the shape of a Z. The ink is purplish.

Where is the cleaning rod slot supposed to be? The mag pouch that came with my AKSU package is a 4-cell and I can't find any sort of sleeve for a cleaning rod. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places though. This is the same person who took forever to find the hidden compartment in the Kobra carrying case..

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors