Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992) - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Tula AKS-74U Production Guide (1982-1992)

Member #
    Liked
    957 times
    Well, I just learned why the FSB is slightly longer on my 90 kit compared to my 86.
    Tantal and Fiorentino like this.
    WTB: Russian Slabside mags, Yugo 4 cell mag pouch

DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO BH_4000!
    https://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-...m-edition.html

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Glad i had something to add that you found beneficial to the discussion.
    COMM BLOC and Fiorentino like this.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    1053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COMM BLOC View Post
    I often ship the aksu oil bottles to customers who don't even know what they are. I use them as packing peanuts basically to fill boxes and keep them from bursting or collapsing during shipment. they come 12 to a wrapper. ive shipped about 3 nagant crates full so far. the oilers were same for 88 izy kits and tula krink kits that rguns got in. the guns rguns received were sitting outside Russia in an arsenal meant for Bulgarian stock but off to the side. Russia put these there under some kind of secret police crap and basically said these don't exist but were storing them here, their not yours, their ours but they don't exist, that kind of arangement. when the wall fell and things fell apart these didn't exist so they got lost. these fell under the watch of the govt or Bulgaria and were just a side note on a sheet of paper for over a dozen years. neat story as it was relayed to me and my buddy who had exclusive distributorship of the akm kits for the first 2 years before they ever got sorted and matched back up by rguns employees. this story was no secret but as for numbers and qty im sworn to not say anything about what I saw in rogers warehouses so please don't ask. its been a real blast coming here to read about krinks and being so imersed in oil bottles lol. the tool kits with only 2 pieces I ended up with also. didn't realize until now they also used them on krinks. the plum kits had a special rod to work with them. not sure if you guys knew the supposed story of how these kits came to be. so much oil bottle talk I fell asleep at the wheel 6 or so pages back.
    ''

Your #$%^&*@ kidding right? Where the have you been the last 5 years???
    Last edited by evolixsurf; 05-21-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    Fiorentino likes this.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2320 times
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz.zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzz

Member #
    Liked
    2320 times
    I was upset I didn't get in on the krink and types of 74 kits rguns got in. heres why. I was eating Chinese one evening 6pm and got a call from roger that he just got in a bunch of Russian krink kits and 74 kits. I said ill be right there in like 2 days. he said he had em and at that time I had sole distributorship of the akm kits and was selling them in shotgun news, gunlist and larger gunshows nationwide. roger told me when I showed up with box truck 2 days later that the 3 types of 74 kits had missing trunnions and that he was going to hang onto them until he sorted them back together. I went home with more akm kits and once again left all the trigger guards behind. knowing I was going right back to get what I really wanted [the 74 and krink kits] I waited to ship the missing akm trigger guards. long story but my life literally fell apart. my biz partner and life long buddy cousin rusty punched me and went nuts and a domino effect all over my life in related and unrelated ways pursued. kidney stones almost killed me. machineshop with most all my gunsmithing tools burned to the ground in a fuel oil fire seen from 30 miles away. friends robbed me. you name it, it all happened at once seems like. it slowed me down to the point I never did recover my sales or think about sales much there for a while. long story but grown men can cry. I ended up sorting out most of it but the krink kits were 4 times the cost I had originally seen them at and was horrified my dream kits had gotten away. sadly I don't have any Russian rguns 74 kits of any type to this day. some things you take with you when you die. this memory is a regret. why bathe in it?
    Fiorentino, Tantal and Mikec23 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2320 times
    my 3rd go around with kidney stones I had 2, 1 in front and one in back kidney. that time around I was in one room at osu medical hospital while todd grove owner of ohio rapid fire was behind me in another room and died of kidney failure. both of us were shit faced drunk on whiskey. had 2 dogs die. I could go on and on my fucking luck.

Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi13 View Post
    My translation of this manual should be available from Lulu either right now or in the next few days. I did it in 8.5x11 format and up-sized everything so the diagrams should be easier to read. I also re-drew several of the diagrams.

MDI
    Translation of this manual is now available from Lulu

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/545-mm-kalashnikov-assault-rifle-ak74-aks74-and-aks74u-and-545-mm-light-machine-gun-kalashnikov-rpk74-and-rpks74-medium-level-repair-manual-with-rate-of-application-of-materials-and-spare-parts/16733010

Price is $45 plus shipping.
    Fiorentino, Tantal and Mikec23 like this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Well, yeah, they started punch-pressing what they had on hand, but almost at the same time the FSB castings were changed to incorporate an elongated threaded journal extension for the newer booster, and thus the barrel on later rifles is also slightly longer, too. The overall length of the firearm did not change, of course, since this extra length is hidden inside the booster.
    Great info Doug thanks man, explains alot! I'm guessing then that explains why the Bulgy AKSU barrels were slightly longer, I guess they were based on later Tula ones? Always wondered about that but would never have made the connection in a million years

That kinda stinks to hear though. I've been hoping the barrel parts remained unchanged so I could just use pinned ones on a late era build (and fake the dimples) and it be "correct". No chance in hell I'll ever find true late era barrel parts though so not a big deal... Other than it nagging the shit out of my anal brain of course

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
    Well, I just learned why the FSB is slightly longer on my 90 kit compared to my 86.
    Any chance you got measurements handy buddy? I'm pretty interested to compare them to the Bulgy ones now, I bet they're the same length now

244 pages... I can't begin to imagine how much time and effort that took to do. Very excited to get this, especially after how valuable a resource both you and Doug cited these manuals to be

looks like I can stop bothering the Eastern European kids in my classes begging for them to translate a paragraph for me
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    Any chance you got measurements handy buddy? I'm pretty interested to compare them to the Bulgy ones now, I bet they're the same length now
    I measured it from the base beginning to end at about a inch and a half long, the same size as the replacement one that I just got from K-var. Unfortuantely my 86 has fake can on it, so I can't measure it, I'll have to use Sunspots next time I'm over.
    Fiorentino likes this.
    WTB: Russian Slabside mags, Yugo 4 cell mag pouch

DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO BH_4000!
    https://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-...m-edition.html

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Maybe this image will help you out, Mike.

Jerry supplied the image, I just realigned the parts so I could add red lines for a proper side by side comparison. Sorry but I never labelled the parts as all this was very fresh on our minds at the time. of course, the first one on the left is an early 80's Tula. . As you can see, the change in bearing surface length is VERY noticeable.

Izhmash did the very same thing, in fact this was part of an industry-wide PIP modification to address a problem associated with wobbly muzzle devices after reports from Afghanistan detailed how wear and cleaning operations over long periods of time was making the FSB to muzzle device interface excessively loose, in fact to the point of affecting accuracy.

BTW, if you want to read a bit more on this, we went over the subject in pretty good detail maybe a couple of years ago in a discussion on the Krinkov forum that had something to do with the availability or prices of NOS military "Bulgarian" AKSU barrels, and why they don't line up correctly with some FSB's. That's where this image was first posted.

Hope that helps!

Fiorentino, Sunspot and Mikec23 like this.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    It helps tremendously Doug, wow thanks I never caught that thread. The FSB part of the first post was the one I was most embarrased about because I just couldn't figure out any variation besides the damn dimples from deact pics alone. That part has been essentially useless, I mean it doesn't take a guide to notice friggin dimples I really appreciate it, I hope someday I have the eye for detail like you Jerry and others do

I haven't touched the first post in almost a year, just haven't figured anything else out. Definitely gonna get to work adding this and the stuff Jeff and Chris came up with from the '90 ASAP. I can't even begin to imagine how much I'm gonna learn from Martin's hard work too. I'm sure you'll be happy to hear Doug that I'm ditching photobucket too haha. Thanks again for all the help fellas
    Tantal and Mikec23 like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Good to hear. Mike, IMO it was jointly introduced with the later style booster, which had an adjusted bearing surface to mate with the new FSB.
    Fiorentino and Mikec23 like this.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Good to hear. Mike, IMO it was jointly introduced with the later style booster, which had an adjusted bearing surface to mate with the new FSB.
    Man you're on a roll tonight Doug! Holy crap. I've been trying to figure out anything that could give us even a little indication as to when the booster changed. It's just so damn tricky to date removable parts (for me atleast). I've been operating on the silly theory though that they simply stopped doing the bevel to save production time, so I would never have made that connection on my own. I actually remember reading several times on your website how they made similar changes to the AK74 but never put two and two together

I still have been unable to figure out when the switch to punch press parts began. All my '87 examples are pinned, and all my '88 ones are dimpled. So until a dimpled '87 or a pinned '88 example turns up, I guess mid-late '87 early '88 is a good guess for the booster/punch pressed parts?

Man, you've taken care of three of the biggest questions I've had now Doug thanks again my friend
    Tantal likes this.

-Benjamin Franklin

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    I was upset I didn't get in on the krink and types of 74 kits rguns got in. heres why. I was eating Chinese one evening 6pm and got a call from roger that he just got in a bunch of Russian krink kits and 74 kits. I said ill be right there in like 2 days. he said he had em and at that time I had sole distributorship of the akm kits and was selling them in shotgun news, gunlist and larger gunshows nationwide. roger told me when I showed up with box truck 2 days later that the 3 types of 74 kits had missing trunnions and that he was going to hang onto them until he sorted them back together. I went home with more akm kits and once again left all the trigger guards behind. knowing I was going right back to get what I really wanted [the 74 and krink kits] I waited to ship the missing akm trigger guards. long story but my life literally fell apart. my biz partner and life long buddy cousin rusty punched me and went nuts and a domino effect all over my life in related and unrelated ways pursued. kidney stones almost killed me. machineshop with most all my gunsmithing tools burned to the ground in a fuel oil fire seen from 30 miles away. friends robbed me. you name it, it all happened at once seems like. it slowed me down to the point I never did recover my sales or think about sales much there for a while. long story but grown men can cry. I ended up sorting out most of it but the krink kits were 4 times the cost I had originally seen them at and was horrified my dream kits had gotten away. sadly I don't have any Russian rguns 74 kits of any type to this day. some things you take with you when you die. this memory is a regret. why bathe in it?
    my 3rd go around with kidney stones I had 2, 1 in front and one in back kidney. that time around I was in one room at osu medical hospital while todd grove owner of ohio rapid fire was behind me in another room and died of kidney failure. both of us were shit faced drunk on whiskey. had 2 dogs die. I could go on and on my fucking luck.
    Damn, sorry to hear all that! John, you've lived at least a couple of normal lifetime's full of collecting, I'd love to see your stash some day, and that includes any of the REALLY good stuff I bet you probably never talk about in public, lol.

You're much like me in your thinking. If I ever lost it all I would never even attempt to go on a search to replace any of this stuff again. What would be the use?
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Looks like I will be getting the tracking info soon on my 93 from jbi. It was missing all of the small parts when I got it, but still retained quite a few of the major components. Sorry for the lack of 93 pics. I haven't had the kit in hand for more than a year.

But I'm happy to say it's coming home. The bulgy Aksu barrel worked perfectly with the longer nose on the late fsb as well.
    Fiorentino, Sunspot and Mikec23 like this.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors