Years of Tula krink kits in the US? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Years of Tula krink kits in the US?

Member #
    Liked
    1065 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cgp View Post
    That does not look like a deact. For one, no 3rd pin. Mag is also suspect - not something I'd see on a Russian 5.45 caliber. Could this be a possible kit build using an Izzy semi-auto receiver?
    Thats definately a tula marked trunion, as far as serial. Id wager that the star is ground off. Also, damn if thats a izzy or tula 5.45 mag. I want it. bad!
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2003 times
    Quote Originally Posted by uao85 View Post
    I had a thought earlier this evening while surfing around looking at various deact krinks. I found a particular picture of a 93 deact in very good lighting and it appears that these deacts could be 1 of 2 things. Built on izhmash receivers, or build using a mix of izhmash and tula parts. The bolt carrier is the same style that comes with saiga and arsenal rifles with a shortened piston. Particularly the profile of the left side of the carrier body and the direction of the radius cut. Second on this deact pic that I found, there appears to be a marking that is partially removed on the right side of the receiver to the right of the triangle with a circle and T inside of it. This partially removed stamping is normally found on saiga rifles. It also appears to have the izhmash logo partially removed as well. I circled both areas with mspaint, and have another photo to compare. Let me know what you guys think, I thought it was pretty interesting myself.
    The markings are basically a shortned version for Tula's name for a deactivated rifle. MMG is what Izhmash uses; Tula has their own. I cannot remember what it is. The "PCT" is a Russian quality mark, almost like a UL mark in the US. Almost everything, from Rifles to Pepsi products will have it.

As for the bolt carrier, it is original Tula. The gas piston is shaved off as part of deactivation. Also, an AKSU bolt barrier is much different then a standard AK. Biggest piece is that the charging handle is smaller.

A good question. All the posts I have seen all assumed there was a star that was ground off of the trunnion. There are a lot of deacts floating around all different years that still have the star in tact so I guess it would be tough to say for certain either way.
    Its ground off. Very common for Tula export rifles.

Rumor mill on these 1993 semi autos was that they were semi autos meant for the West, but that it never happened. They were made up from the remaining parts at Tula. They have since dried up in Russia and Europe. Another run of deacts was done in 2008 but those were full aut receivers, and were simply restamped 1993s.

They are not importable, as they are not a Saiga or Vepr. They are also a semi auto "assault rifle" receiver, which is forbidden.

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Awesome thanks for clarifying those points for me. I am constantly looking at all the different little nuances of these kits and comparing them to other rifles I own. The quality mark makes sense, and come to think of it all of the silver bear I have has a little micro pct quality mark as well. It is too bad those 93 tula krink rifles never made there way over here if the rumor is true. Now THAT would be a real collectible right there! It could have easily gone the way of the original HK semi auto mp5 rifles floating around out there and skyrocket in price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stottman View Post
    The markings are basically a shortned version for Tula's name for a deactivated rifle. MMG is what Izhmash uses; Tula has their own. I cannot remember what it is. The "PCT" is a Russian quality mark, almost like a UL mark in the US. Almost everything, from Rifles to Pepsi products will have it.

As for the bolt carrier, it is original Tula. The gas piston is shaved off as part of deactivation. Also, an AKSU bolt barrier is much different then a standard AK. Biggest piece is that the charging handle is smaller.

Its ground off. Very common for Tula export rifles.

Rumor mill on these 1993 semi autos was that they were semi autos meant for the West, but that it never happened. They were made up from the remaining parts at Tula. They have since dried up in Russia and Europe. Another run of deacts was done in 2008 but those were full aut receivers, and were simply restamped 1993s.

They are not importable, as they are not a Saiga or Vepr. They are also a semi auto "assault rifle" receiver, which is forbidden.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    It appears that the owner of the Charlie Wilson krink lives in the Dallas area and is open to offers. But apparently won't budge much from his $10k asking price. I also found out that it is an 82 Tula AKSU with an in-tact barrel.

cgp

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    It appears that the owner of the Charlie Wilson krink lives in the Dallas area and is open to offers. But apparently won't budge much from his $10k asking price. I also found out that it is an 82 Tula AKSU with an in-tact barrel.
    I doubt it. I saw the GB ad when it was originally sold and the barrel was cut. I corresponded with him for a while (he bought some mags from me). Trying to remember what he eventually did with the kit. I knew at the time he was tracking down another bin laden krink. He's also the guy who had a storage locker full of Dracos and AMD-65s that got stolen.

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cgp View Post
    I doubt it. I saw the GB ad when it was originally sold and the barrel was cut. I corresponded with him for a while (he bought some mags from me). Trying to remember what he eventually did with the kit. I knew at the time he was tracking down another bin laden krink. He's also the guy who had a storage locker full of Dracos and AMD-65s that got stolen.
    Lol ooohhhh that guy. I remember him now lol. Yeah that guy is a bit strange. Could have sworn somebody told me that barrel was in tact. Oh well. Not surprised it got the chop with the demill. I still kick myself for not knowing about that rifle. It was local to me for 6 or so years before it was chopped up and sold by the University.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1079 times
    IIRC the kit went off on Gun broker for 6-7 K. I was the low bidder at 4K. The barrel was not cut but was filled with some kind of epoxy material . Word from an owner of one of the other Wilson kits claims the filler was able to be tapped out of the barrel.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3624 times
    I can post the pictures from the gunbroker auction if you guys would like
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    1065 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    I can post the pictures from the gunbroker auction if you guys would like

im sure I have them somewhere, but please do.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

cgp

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jithaca View Post
    IIRC the kit went off on Gun broker for 6-7 K. I was the low bidder at 4K. The barrel was not cut but was filled with some kind of epoxy material . Word from an owner of one of the other Wilson kits claims the filler was able to be tapped out of the barrel.
    My mistake, but I think you're right. I knew the barrel was messed up but can't remember the details. The buyer is a forum user (here and/or the other ak forum).

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3624 times
    I left out most of the pictures of the small parts, but if anyone needs them I'll upload them.

I'm pretty sure the handguards and the PG were lost when whatever idiot cut up this gun. I'm assuming this '82 had the rare "early" variant of the vented handguards that I've only seen mentioned in one of the threads that's a sticky.

Still, one of the coolest guns I've ever seen. Even if ya ignore the fact it was Charlie Wilson's, it is still a 1982 Tula AKSU. Unreal.

** Look at the barrel in the picture below, you can see whatever they used to fill it-

Tough to see, but this document shows what was done to the gun to demill it originally -

Last edited by Fiorentino; 10-22-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    185 times

That is all.

Anybody heard of any 88-92 kits in the country?

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3624 times

That is all.

Anybody heard of any 88-92 kits in the country?
    I'm not sure about kits. I have an unissued/unnumbered late era bolt carrier and some other late era parts I've been trying to find a trunnion for. I know a member here has an amazing '89 clone, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't from a kit.

I've been trying to gather info on '88 ones and it hasn't been easy. So far the best I can find is three low resolution pics. Looks like it might be the transition year between mid and late. Any help with pics there would be greatly appreciated.

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    ^ thanks for all that info Jerry. Always loved that '89. Past week I've been trying to dig up all I can on building an '88 clone... Seems like a transition year between mid and late.
    ^^^^^

Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Bump. Lots of later krinks in country now that the era of deacts has come and gone. Still waiting for the day a pre-82 aksu rifle comes out of the woodwork in the US.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors