Galil, Valmet, or Vepr and 5.45 AK?

View Poll Results: Which rifle would you choose?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golani Galil

5 38.46%
  • Vepr in .223 and SAR in 5.45

4 30.77%
  • Valmet 71

4 30.77%

Galil, Valmet, or Vepr and 5.45 AK?

So I'm getting a little bonus check... BASICALLY what I want is a Kalashnikov design.. improved. I already have a Norinco 86S, and I love it. Honestly, no matter what else comes along, I can't imagine anything beating that ever, except maybe picking up another. Anyways.

What I'm looking for is an improved AK, preferrably something that's a bit more accurate than your standard AK. I thought about a dragunov but eh, maybe eventually. I'm looking more for a more accurate assault-style rifle in semi auto than a dedicated marksman rifle. So I've narrowed down my choices to three rifles (the last being a package of two because of the price).

1. Golani Galil (Yes, I know it's a century but my gunsmith specializes in the Kalahnikovs and the like, and he's uncenturied a CETME for me before)

2. Valmet 71 (Yeah, it's not the version I like but it's the only one I could afford that I see on the market)

3. 5.45 SAR AK (Plus side being I already have mags and ammo, and another rifle chambered in the same) AND a Vepr in .223 (does this work with 5.56? I hear some rifles that are states .223 don't)

So what do you guys think? The galil is really top of the list, and the Valmet is coming in last being the most expensive and least attractive to me at the moment, but knowing a little more about these rifles could change my mind. Is the VEPR any more accurate than normal AK's? Is it worth getting into .223 over? Does it take 5.56? Are the century Golani Galil's absolutely awful? Worth it? Are they labelled for 5.56 or .223?

Thanks for any advice on the subject! I know I'm itching for a new rifle or two but I just don't know what would be the best decision, so I'd like to hear from some of the guys who actually own them!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Galil is always first on my list.Valmet's are sweet rifle's too,and you can't go wrong with 5.45 ,with the ammo situation the way it is.So the PC answer would be "get em all"

Unfortunately now I have truck repairs to make, guess my answer now is "none of them!"

Hopefully those galils will still be for sale in a month. If so, it's mine..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You may be glad you waited another few months.

Cut and paste answer from another site:

I would normally have chosen the Galil, but with the price of ammo these days, I would look at a 5.45 x 39 rather than a 5.56.

You may want to consider the best of both worlds.

ORF is scheduled to come out with 5.45 x 39 (and 7.62 x 39) Galil receivers in a few months. (you can already buy an IMI kit and IMI 5.45 x 39 bolt from ORF).

As I understand it, the receivers will be made after the barrels are available. The barrels have been the hold up.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

As long as I end up with a galil, I won't be angry. And if I can get a 5.45 build for a decent price, in the end, I bet I'll be even happier.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the 5.45 mags and 10 tins (as a start) of 5.45 ammo.

Waitin' on the receivers!
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald2001
    I have the 5.45 mags and 10 tins (as a start) of 5.45 ammo.

Waitin' on the receivers!
    Ha! I'll trade you my start for yours!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors