Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scottyb
  • 1 Post By jjjxlr8

Thread: Galil Scope Cutout

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Galil Scope Cutout

I am searching for the information on the Galil scope cutout for a 5.56 build. I have all of the lateral dimensions from the close up picture posted in this forum but it does not show the depths and angles for the dovetail cuts. Does anyone have that? Is there a picture of the entire blueprint that is not blurry when you zoom in?

Member #
    Liked
    5978 times
    I would contact Jeff Miller at Hillbilly firearms.
    Sunspot likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thought about that but didn't want to bug someone who does that to make money. Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    I think this cut-out requires some precise machining with tight tolerances. It's not a single depth, either. The original Israeli mounts slide in with very little effort and with very little play. Both of my IMI Galils have the same fit. I wouldn't trust getting accurate dimensions from any photos.

scottyb likes this.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    1012 times
    jjjxlr8, that's a really nice looking mount. Any idea where to get one or if someone makes a good quality one?
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    The original Israeli throw lever mounts came in at least 3 configurations. The M16 carry handle style (above), the Trilux SUIT mount, and one designed for a now obsolete night vision optic. They haven't been produced 30-40 years, I suppose.

Night Vision model

1955.jpg

Trilux SUIT model:
    trilux_mount.jpg

trilux_mount_2.jpg
    trilux_mount_3.jpg
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the photos. I wouldn't trust measurements off of photos either, but those are very good pictures of the cutout. I have all of the receiver prints that I could find on the interwebs, but they are missing a few key pieces of information like depth of the cuts, the angle of the dovetails, and angle to the bore. It just sucks to be so close but not all the way. Thank you again.

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    these dimensions are all in mm.

So about 3 degrees from the top cover?

Sorry for the mix of inch and mm measurements!
    Last edited by jjjxlr8; 03-22-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Some more photos to help with the angle and position of the mount cut-out. I lined the steel ruler to both the top of the cutout and the main 15mm wide portion of the cut-out. Notice where the steel rule falls relative to pins in the receiver.

at top of cut-out

At top of 15mm portion...

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Last ones...I lined one steel rule up with the top edge of the receiver, then placed another down to the top of the outer part of the cut-out. This should be enough to get it going.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I cannot say thank you enough, and I feel bad for asking for more, but can you tell me how deep the cutout is into the side of the receiver at 3 locations: the main overall cut which is the majority of the cutout, the two steps in the dovetail section where the scope rail mount engages, and the depth of the circle cut in between the dovetail engagement surfaces. Not gonna lie, if you were in the local area I would have to buy you a beverage of your choice! Thank you again!!!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Doing some high school geometry (wow that was a long time ago) comes up with the dovetail angle being 60 degrees. Thanks again!!!

Member #
    Liked
    312 times
    Depth of main cut = 2.40 mm

Depth of the 2 pads was tough to measure but somewhere between 2.20 and 2.25 mm

Depth of the hole is 3.47 mm

I thought I had measured something wrong as the cut depth is less than the thickness of the mount, but re-checking I see now that the mount sticks up slightly above the receiver surface.
    Last edited by jjjxlr8; 03-22-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you again! I have been trying to get this information for a long time. I really appreciate it!!

Sponsors