How bad did I get ripped off on my Golani?
Like Tree15Likes
  • 7 Post By PRDUBI
  • 3 Post By 10Gauge
  • 2 Post By scottyb
  • 2 Post By AZAK
  • 1 Post By trevorakm

Thread: How bad did I get ripped off on my Golani?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question How bad did I get ripped off on my Golani?

I was drinking and BSing with friends about a month ago and I ended up buying a used Golani Sporter 5.56 for $1250. It has the Caspian Arms receiver and was not one that was subject to recall. I know impulse buys like this are stupid and you should always do your research. I haven't fired the gun yet, but after more reading about the Golani I'm feeling horrible and I'm fairly certain I got ripped off badly. I plan to take the rifle to a professional gunsmith and have him do a full inspection.

How badly did I get ripped off? Should I cut my losses, sell the gun for whatever I can get, and put the money towards having someone like Hillbilly Firearms build a custom Galil clone on a CNC Warrior or similar receiver and something like an Apex parts kit? Or should I keep the gun, give it a fair chance, and maybe revitalize it a bit and some optics or something?

Any help/advice will be appreciated. I've included a picture of the rifle in this post. I'm a first time AR/AK buyer and I learned an important lesson. Feel free to help ease my pain and suffering by sharing any personal rip-off stories you may have.

golani01.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    1574 times
    Just shoot it and see what it does dude...

Bring and use different ammo... is it keyholing? NO? Good...is it giving good groups?

Can you install a scope mount?

I see a bayonet lug.. can you install one?

Did you clean the barrel and see if it is good?

If it was mines and if I bought it for that price, I would send it to In Range or someone else and go full blown 9 yards conversion with the markings and everything else.

If you listened to every review out there, you might as well just go buy a BB gun and don't bother with it.

Did you break down the magazines? Clean it out? oil it? Does it cycle?

take it out and see what it does, dude before listening to every land whale commando and the reviewer clowns.

Member #
    Liked
    18647 times
    Just shoot the fucking thing before freaking out. If it messes up at the range, then get it checked out since you'll have an idea as to what it's doing wrong.

If you go into the smith, hand him the gun and go "look it over" the first question out of his mouth is going to be something along the lines of "what's wrong with it?" and you better have an answer.. otherwise getting charged by the hour to troubleshoot a problem that doesn't exist would suck.

I had a shitty one that tore Federal brass in half with annoying regularity. When the damn thing worked, it was really pleasant to shoot.
    PRDUBI, JeepFan and otus like this.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5102 times
    Choot it!
    trevorakm and JeepFan like this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Gauge View Post
    I had a shitty one that tore Federal brass in half with annoying regularity. When the damn thing worked, it was really pleasant to shoot.

Not unique to that gun. Happens to my pro-built R4 with an Israeli virgin barrel. Chambers are tight and - in particular - Federal brass is soft. Other brass case rounds shoot fine, but I primarily stick with steel through the Galil and its SA cousin.
    JeepFan and 10Gauge like this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    4923 times
    You, your rifle, some different brands, bullet weights of ammo and some range time. That should get you some answers.
    Please post up some results.

Local gunsmiths can be a hit or miss depending on what experience they have with Galil/AK pattern firearms. You would be better off after firing posting your concerns (if any) here and then going with someone who does Galil specific work if needed.

If it was my rifle and it had none or easily fixed problems I would just keep it and have it fixed. Then buy a bayonet, mags and ammo.

You could also turn it into more of a fun learning experience and project with a set of Weaponmark's Israeli stencils and finish it off with a AE, Gun-Kote etc.
    Last edited by JeepFan; 10-05-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    425 times
    I feel your pain. I have a Galil with an ORF receiver and then found out about them later. I just shoot it and know where to get a good receiver for it just not ready to pull the trigger so to speak. I also be honest, the Galil is heavy and not my first choice to go to the range with.
    Although an ak pattern rifle and it fills the hole in my meager collection and I've always been in love with it from first sight, I still prefer the AK over it. As for the little goodies the GAlil has that I like, the Yugos are the same if not more.
    SHOOT the Damn Thing!
    otus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1574 times
    I take it back.. if it was my rifle. I'd do an R4 clone of it.

that would be fun.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Not much, Not you can feel good about it and shoot some rounds.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors