.308 Ammo Best Results in Galil ACE??
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Arik
  • 1 Post By AZAK
  • 1 Post By Gypsy
  • 1 Post By ems

Thread: .308 Ammo Best Results in Galil ACE??

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Accuracy and Best .308 Ammo in Galil ACE

A discussion of the .308 / 7.62 x 51 ammo that provides best accuracy from the Galil ACE chambered in .308

Doing a bit more reading/research on the best ammo for the Galil ACE. First, to address a claim that the Galil ACE in .308 is merely "mediocre" when it comes to accuracy. This is factually incorrect.

It is a common misconception that a long barrel in a rifle is required for accuracy when shooting at longer distance targets. Of course, as always, it is important to qualify and understand context. What ammo? Here, I'm discussing .308/7.62x51. And distances? Out to and including 600 yards or so. So...here is a good summary of what has been well documented many other places and is well known to precision rifle shooters, etc. but is commonly misunderstood by those who lack this experience and knowledge.

"Belief: a long barrel is required for accuracy when shooting at long distance.

Fact: In no part of our testing was barrel length a determining factor in accuracy. At a distance of 100-540 yards, there was no discernible difference in accuracy between various barrel lengths. This performance translated over to unknown distance shooting with all barrel lengths at ranges out to 900 yards. At no point in the testing was a short barrel a hindrance once marksmanship fundamentals were observed and proper flight data was applied."

Source: The Truth About Barrel Length

I have found several reports/reviews on the Galil's accuracy in .308 and with the right ammo and, of course, fundamental shooting skills in place, the Galil in .308 is capable of sub-MOA performance very consistently.

Here is some information from a well done review of the 308 Galil ACE.

Accuracy with this rifle takes some work, it can shoot well under 1 MOA with match ammunition – it’s just harder to do for most and requires concentration. A long stroke gas system means more reciprocating mass, which equates to more muzzle movement. Hold it steady using the proper muzzle device and it will stack good ammunition. Get sloppy and it’s a 3″ gun at 100 yards. My best groups came using a bag as a rest, my hand extended to the sight and held tightly in the shoulder. Muzzle brakes or compensators limiting muzzle rise make it even easier. Testing several I found the Primary Weapons Systems FSC was the best. It tamed recoil, held the muzzle steady and was absent most of the annoying muzzle blast. Others were better at recoil control but were just plain oppressive to shoot. Some made it harder to shoot in general. Flash hiders worked fine just no recoil help. It works incredibly well with the NG2 Suppressor, it just adds over a pound and 7″ – sadly defeating my size requirements. Groups at 100 yards using a scope were generally around an inch, the best closer to .70″. My best group overall came using the Shield SIS, an Armageddon Gear bag for a rest and the bumper on my FJ as a bench using Doubletap’s 125- grain BT Self Defense Ammunition. Their 155- grain TMK Colt Match and Hornady 155-grain AMAX Black were the most versatile with excellent accuracy. Using a 1:12 twist barrel allows for a wide variety of ammunition. Cold hammer forging and chrome lining keep it that way under harsh conditions.

Source: Rifle Review: Galil ACE 308 Fighting Rifle
    And more information

My best 100-yard group measured 0.81 inches using Remington’s 165-grain Premier AccuTip ammo. Considering that’s what I’ll use in this rifle most of the time, I was pleasantly surprised. Other shooters have seen similar accuracy, mostly in the 1.25-inch range. With the 1-in-12-inch-twist barrel, 168-grain rounds seem to hit the sweet spot, producing good accuracy.

Even loaded with 150-grain Federal American Eagle rounds, the Galil ACE could consistently hit a 6-inch steel target at 300 yards. The trigger pull on my test rifle measured a little less than 5 pounds, which certainly contributed to these results. The two-stage trigger made it easy to run the gun quickly or make slower, more precise shots. It was easy to make controllable doubles and triples in rapid fire, and yet, in prone and supported positions, precise shots were a cinch. There was no trigger slap, and it never failed to reset. The shoe is wide and flat—perfect for gloved hands. Long-stroke rifles are also generally softer to shoot, and this Galil ACE was no exception. Combined, these items allowed for excellent control and accuracy from almost any position.

Moving to longer ranges, the Galil ACE held its own. Given a steady position, I placed 10-round strings on an 8-inch steel target at 300 yards with little effort if I held high. At 400 yards, it was just a matter of holding higher. Using typical bullet-drop data for a 16-inch barrel, gathered from my Kestrel Applied Ballistics meter, I hit steel at 500 yards using the Remington rounds. With the Prime 175-grain match rounds, I zeroed in on the 12-inch steel target 636 yards in just three rounds, and then whacked it several times afterward. In my experience, that’s probably the limits of the cartridge in most practical field situations, but it was impressive nonetheless.

And here is more

Last edited by JohnHB; 12-28-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    8051 times
    Each rifle will be different.

There aren't too many people here with the ACE let alone one in 308.

Most people here have a large stash of surplus ammo
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3774 times
    I’d probably have one if they’d ever followed through with the 20” version. IMHO a 16” commercial or milspec .308 barrel isn’t long enough and the mediocre accuracy results I’ve heard regarding the 16” Ace .308 seem to bear that out.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    I wonder what 165 grain federal fusion will do.
    JohnHB likes this.

ems

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I got mine in right before Christmas, hopefully I'll be able to take it out this weekend. If so I'll probably pick up a couple boxes of nicer ammo to test alongside the buttload of tulammo I have lol
    JohnHB likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ems View Post
    I got mine in right before Christmas, hopefully I'll be able to take it out this weekend. If so I'll probably pick up a couple boxes of nicer ammo to test alongside the buttload of tulammo I have lol

Excellent!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors