Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New Guy with a New Galil ACE

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

New Guy with a New Galil ACE

I joined this forum to pick up new/information about the IWI Galil ACE. It's kind of hard to find any dedicated fora for the Galil ACE, etc.

I picked mine up yesterday and got it out to the gun range today. I accidentally left a case of ammo for it at home, but I did have about 120 rounds so I was able to put four magazines through it. I've been shooting AKs for years, everything from the less expensive WASRs, etc. and Arsenals (love the Arsenals), but I have to say, I'm blown away by the Galil ACE. Every "pet peeve" I've had with the AK for years is addressed by the Galil ACE design. Mag loading is a lot easier, the sights are fantastic. I zeroed it at 35 yards or so and was getting very tight groups and the ease of zeroing is fantastic and the elevation and windage adjustments are a breeze, I quickly stowed the little tool they provide in the grip storage area, so as not to lose it. I'm looking forward to putting an optic on it and can see how the cheek riser (supplies) will be perfect. I'm not exactly sure why, perhaps it is the AR/M4 style buttstock system, but it was a far less harsh recoil impulse compared even to my Arsenal with a muzzle brake. The flash hider on it does not appear, to me, to be a muzzle brake, but I may be wrong. I love the rail system on it. Folding stock is great, the safety system is nice, I'm going to have to get used to it a bit. Right now you can get a Midwest industry rifle length rail system for free for it, and I'm going to get it, but I also went ahead and bought the extended length rail for it with the M-Lock system on it, which is going to be great.

I weighed my options on caliber and decided to go with 7.62 x 39 because I prefer the "punch" of the round and figured, what the heck, go for it, but after today's shooting session I'm now intrigued by the 5.56 and .308 models.

I'd love to hear from folks who have a Galil ACE and what you think of it. What caliber do you have, etc.?
    Last edited by JohnHB; 12-16-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I'd love to hear from folks who have a Galil ACE and what you think of it. What caliber do you have, etc.?

Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    I think that the best money I spent in a long time. Considering what milled rifles are selling for these days.
    riderboy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8336 times
    Yep. Long time Galil fan here including a class 3 select fire. Arguably one of the best combat rifles EVER, perhaps a bit on the heavy side. But the ACE is superb. I have a 5.56 with an ACOG and love it. IWI really addressed the shortcomings of the Galil, a rifle great fort's time but badly in need of modernizing. My next rifle would be an ACE in 7.62X51. I know a guy who has one and he loves it. He says the recoil is really not bad, and like the other ACE rifles, accurate.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I have a bad feeling I'm going to end up buying one in 5.56 and .308 and I have two in 7.62 x 39. I purchased a Midwest Industries extended rifle length and a Regulate regulate for my two Aces's in 7.62 x 39. I've shot and handles a metric shit ton of AK 7.62 x 39 rifles...the Galil ACE beats them all, no question. Thanks for the responses guys, I began to wonder if I was shouting out into an empty cave.
    riderboy likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Yep. Long time Galil fan here including a class 3 select fire. Arguably one of the best combat rifles EVER, perhaps a bit on the heavy side. But the ACE is superb. I have a 5.56 with an ACOG and love it. IWI really addressed the shortcomings of the Galil, a rifle great fort's time but badly in need of modernizing. My next rifle would be an ACE in 7.62X51. I know a guy who has one and he loves it. He says the recoil is really not bad, and like the other ACE rifles, accurate.
    Sweet! So, the Galil addressed some shortcomings in the Valmet, which in turn was based on the AK, and IWI has now addressed shortcomings in the Galil design. I'm looking very hard at the 7.62 x 51 model. The brake really seems to tame the recoil of the 308 but I can imagine it is one loud son-of-a-gun, with that brake *and* only a 16" barrel.

I've seen some impressive 100 yard groups out of the Galil from guys taking their time and watching their fundamentals, also they are using adequately magnified optics.
    riderboy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm surprised I'm kind of isolated in my opinions here. I find it harder to load a magazine than a standard AK variant, it's way slower to point, and although this is just training related, it takes relearning going from either the AR or typical AK platform due to the swapped charging handle and nubby safety. The sights are fantastic though, except for the super fat front post. I'm honestly considering turning mine around and selling it right away for around the $1400 mark.

I'm sure with an optic and swapping for the Midwest or RS Regulate handguards it would be quite a step up, but I just don't see it as an improvement over my 107cr. Also, it's way over gassed and could probably use a barrel chop to help with the over gassing and front heaviness.

Edit: I've got mine in 7.62x39.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    I'm surprised I'm kind of isolated in my opinions here.
    I find it much faster and easier to load, not sure how it could possibly be "slower to point" ... that's on the Indian, not the arrow.

As for "relearning" ... it's not "relearning" it's just learning how to use it. As for comparing the way it charges to an AR, well, that's again, on you, since the AR has a different charging handle operation from either AK or Galil. I much prefer the CH on the left, since I'm a right handed shooter and it is way easier to charge it with the CH on the left side, while I maintain a good positive grip, etc.

Sights are great.

You probably won't get $1400 since it is used, but you should get at least $1100-1200.

Yup, your opinion is way, way unique.
    Last edited by JohnHB; 12-21-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Slower to point is a pretty easy one to pinpoint. It's heavier in the front. Heavier in the front than my 107cr with a full rail on it. It's a smooth action, and it's got tritium sights, but otherwise I'm not finding it that remarkable. Target transition is just slower because of the weight distribution, and follow up shots are slower due to the over gassing. Again, things that can be adjusted with a different hand guard and modifying the gas port or barrel length/dwell time, but surprising on a $1600 gun.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    UPDATE

I got my second Galil ACE out to the gun club on Friday to sight it in. I was delightfully surprised that it was already pretty much dead one and putting rounds into one ragged hole at 25 yards. Easy peasy. So that was what. This one has the Midwest Industries rail on it and it is a BIG improvement over the stock grips, particularly for me since I have such stupid long arms, etc. Much more comfortable to use.

I really like all the noticeable improvements over the original AK pattern design, from the large left side charging handle system, to the much better sights, better butt stock system, more solid lock down of the dust cover and rail system, ambi safety system is better, much easier to load magazines.

I'm impressed by how tight the dust cover fits on the receiver.

Now I am working on choosing optics for them.

A far superior AK pattern rifle system, hands down.
    Last edited by JohnHB; 12-23-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    riderboy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5649 times
    I would like to find a pistol with the folding brace in 7.62x39. They have been north of $1500 for long time.
    GTPI likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I would like to find a pistol with the folding brace in 7.62x39. They have been north of $1500 for long time.
    Good luck on your quest!

They did recently release SBR models, but you'd have to do the whole SBR thing, which is no biggie to me anymore, but some folks love them their "pistols."

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    It seems like Atlantic used to have the pistols in stock for months at a time. Surprised that dried up as the Galil Ace has always seemed like IWI has had trouble moving it.

Member #
    Liked
    8336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
    UPDATE

I got my second Galil ACE out to the gun club on Friday to sight it in. I was delightfully surprised that it was already pretty much dead one and putting rounds into one ragged hole at 25 yards. Easy peasy. So that was what. This one has the Midwest Industries rail on it and it is a BIG improvement over the stock grips, particularly for me since I have such stupid long arms, etc. Much more comfortable to use.

I really like all the noticeable improvements over the original AK pattern design, from the large left side charging handle system, to the much better sights, better butt stock system, more solid lock down of the dust cover and rail system, ambi safety system is better, much easier to load magazines.

I'm impressed by how tight the dust cover fits on the receiver.

Now I am working on choosing optics for them.

A far superior AK pattern rifle system, hands down.
    Yep, at first I did not like the left hand charging handle, but the original Galils were intended to be charged the same way with the upturned handle. But, having said that, I find it makes a lot of sense and is easy to do. The way the reciprocating charging handle is sealed by the rocker plate (like the micro Galil), the rails, the locked in top cover, and of course the classic AK operating system are all big improvements. A good optic is a must at my age. Not perfect, but one helluva rifle.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Well, Merry Christmas to me. I knew it was inevitable. I bought an ACE in 7.62 x 51. Boom!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors