Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Guy with a New Galil ACE

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Yep, at first I did not like the left hand charging handle, but the original Galils were intended to be charged the same way with the upturned handle. But, having said that, I find it makes a lot of sense and is easy to do. The way the reciprocating charging handle is sealed by the rocker plate (like the micro Galil), the rails, the locked in top cover, and of course the classic AK operating system are all big improvements. A good optic is a must at my age. Not perfect, but one helluva rifle.
    Agree! The large left side charging handle is a big plus in my book.
    riderboy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Also, it's way over gassed and could probably use a barrel chop to help with the over gassing and front heaviness.
    I have a pistol in 5.56x45 and a rifle in 7.62x39. I agree with you that they're overgassed. Here's the solution to that issue for the Galil Ace or any AK that's overgassed (which is most of them).
    https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...le-gas-piston/

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    my 107cr
    I don't have a 107CR, but I do have a 106CR which is the same except for the cartridge. From my experience with the 106CR and other Arsenal rifles, the Galil Ace and other IWI products are in a completely different league than the Arsenal's. Build quality and factory support are two areas that especially stand out.

I liked my 5.56x45 pistol so much that I bought a 5.56x45 factory SBR. Then I found a great deal on a 7.62x39 factory SBR. They're both waiting on the ATF's approval at my local gun dealer. Meanwhile I jumped on the Classic deal for a 7.62x39 for $1000. My only real complaint, if you want to call it one, is that the handguards are way too beefy. I'd prefer a much thinner profile. I can't really bring myself to get a 308Win because the barrel at 16" is too short and it doesn't hold the bolt back on an empty magazine. I can deal with that in 7.62x39 because it's the price you pay for regular AK magazine compatibility, can't understand why they didn't include a bolt lock back on the 308Win models when the same magazines used in AR10's will activate one.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    As said elsewhere, the claim that a 16" on a 7.62NATO chambered rifle is "too short" is based on a common misunderstanding and misinformation about the relationship between barrel length and accuracy. Easily corrected with a bit of research with Mr. Google.

As for handguards, totally agree. You might want to take a look at Midwest Industries or RS Regulate for replacement rails. I love mine!

Here is one of my Galil ACE's with the Midwest full length rail. I'll have pics of the RS Regulate rail up today when I install it on my other ACE.

q5GIfjj.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
    As said elsewhere, the claim that a 16" on a 7.62NATO chambered rifle is "too short" is based on a common misunderstanding and misinformation about the relationship between barrel length and accuracy. Easily corrected with a bit of research with Mr. Google.
    It's not about accuracy. It's about the resulting velocity which impacts downrange punch and range.

As for handguards, totally agree. You might want to take a look at Midwest Industries or RS Regulate for replacement rails. I love mine!
    I might, but I'd prefer thinner plastic handguards as they generally insulate hands better from the heat. Does the rail warm up as the barrel heats up?

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    It's not about accuracy. It's about the resulting velocity which impacts downrange punch and range.

I might, but I'd prefer thinner plastic handguards as they generally insulate hands better from the heat. Does the rail warm up as the barrel heats up?
    A 16" barrel offers plenty of punch downrange with .308 Winchester even out at 600-700 yards. I don't think expecting more from a Galil ACE in .308 is realistic, even as I would not sweat performance of the 7.62 x 39 intermediate cartridge at those distances, of course, assuming the shooter has the skills to hit anything out there.

Here is a helpful article about barrel length and muzzle velocity from various length barrels in .308 Winchester. Dude is very serious about, even cut his barrels himself for the test! https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

As for the handguards and heat, nope, I was concerned about that, but .... not an issue, and of course you could put MLOK covers on the rail if that is a concern. They are very comfortable to shoot and WAY better than the clunky handguard system on the Galil ACE. On the other hand, to be fair, I've got stupid-long ape arms, so I need all the length I can get.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    I have a pistol in 5.56x45 and a rifle in 7.62x39. I agree with you that they're overgassed. Here's the solution to that issue for the Galil Ace or any AK that's overgassed (which is most of them).
    https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...le-gas-piston/
    Thanks for the heads up on that...I just picked one up for my Galils.

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Great. It appears to be a very innovative solution to a problem that has plagued the AK platform. I purchased one for my 106CR. If it works as anticipated, I'll install them on several other AK's including my Aces.
    riderboy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7629 times
    Great. It appears to be a very innovative solution to a problem that has plagued the AK platform. I purchased one for my 106CR. If it works as anticipated, I'll install them on several other AK's including my Aces.
    Very interesting. The original Galils threw the brass into the next county with a big dent in it.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    My ACE ejects the cases farther than any of my AK rifles. It is amazing. I had it bench rested to zero it and enjoyed watching it kick the spent cases at least forty feet to the 2:00 position. A beautiful arc.
    Last edited by JohnHB; 12-30-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    riderboy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    BAM !!! Good on you !!!

I finally got my .308 out to break in today running dry for 80rds. Mainly function and plinking. Was not in a position to site in but it was shooting about a foot high off factory set irons @ 100yds.

I can't believe this thing!!! I have other .308/54r/8mm AK pattern DMR rifles (milled & stamped) and NONE are put together as trim and tight as this .308 Galil (except maybe my Serb M76). Had a chance to fire another guy's x39 today as well and it too was amazing. Almost makes me want to ditch my AKs. I have a great Yugo underfolder I NEVER shoot. Might have to sell it to get fund towards a x39 Galil.

Mine gently tosses it's .308 brass within 3-10 feet usually forward. Good dent in em as advertised.

Last edited by GS455; 02-24-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    Reinstate Dodge Ball in elementary school.

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    GS455, does the metal handguard heat up? I generally don't like metal handguards, but the Ace handguards are too fat.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    GS455, does the metal handguard heat up? I generally don't like metal handguards, but the Ace handguards are too fat.
    I didn't do more than one 20rd mag at a time but a couple of them were pretty fast firing. The hand-guard was a little warm. Not hot by any means. I wouldn't expect high heat until 2-3 mags at once were fired but that's not really target shooting.

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Thanks for letting me know. I don't understand why IWI made such a bulky handguard.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    First time I saw it I thought it reminiscent of the Israeli FAL design.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors