• 5 Post By mullicrk

Thread: Need some early Galil ARM expertise

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3775 times

Need some early Galil ARM expertise

I'm getting an early (late '70s) Galil ARM kit built on a rewelded "dual lightening cut" receiver using a '78-stamped virgin 1:12 twist IMI barrel. Seems like Galil rifles can end up being a mash-up of parts over time, and I don't know much about the timeline of individual parts, but my objective is to build it to original specs with the bipod, carry handle, fresh night sights, etc., using this picture as a guide (from Rob Stott's Volume 7, used with his permission):

early_akm_stott_pic_1.jpg

My kit's like the pic above except for the buttstock, which I assume to be an early version (I could be wrong about this). Note the curvature of the buttplate, not sure about the composition.

My kit has the buttstock shown in this slightly later example (below, also from Stott's v7), with a lightening cut on the right and scope attachment relief on the left sides of the receiver.
    I'm not sure if the hinge mechanism that bolts to the back of the receiver is different between the two buttstock styles.

less_early_akm_stott_pic_1.jpg

So, the question is, did some of the early dual lightening cut receiver ARM rifles leave the factory with the buttstock style shown in the second picture? Or, asked another way, were any of the dual lightening-cut receivers produced with the later-style buttstock (in second picture)?

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by AZAK; 07-30-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    5005 times
    The rear knuckle for the folder attaches via a roll pin in the back of the receiver. AFAIK it is the same. The early stocks have the curve, later does not as you stated. Flat might be more comfortable to shoot.

Seems like the hard part for many is the handguard bracket with the carry handle. There are repros if your kit does not have one.

Who is doing the reweld?
    needs moar AK

or beer

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3775 times
    OK, great to know about the rear knuckle being the same. Still need to determine if the newer buttstock style was contemporaneous with the early dual lightening cut receiver. Since the rifle in Stott's pick has a later serial number, it looks like I need to find the earlier buttstock, anybody have an extra?

I'd pre-ordered one of the Lewis & Black repro carry handle/hanger assemblies, but recently snagged an original one on GUnbroker. I'll cancel the L&B order once the real-deal version arrives and passes inspection. Id be fine with either Brendyn or Tim doing the work, but I've had a reweld project in line at Tim's place for quite a while so I'm going to swap-in the Galil project for the M70 "place holder".
    scottyb likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5005 times
    You might want to check in over at the akfiles. There are some super ITK Galil folks over thar and some of their rewelds are drool worthy.

I also checked over at gunpartscorp.com and it looked like some of the stocks they had were the curved top ones.

I was looking at the parts kits again.
    Last edited by scottyb; 07-31-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    The hinge is longer on one as well

Member #
    Liked
    546 times
    You will appreciator the extra padding as well it is oem. Now tell where I can get the wood !

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/16...lil-build.html
    Last edited by Marco; 01-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    The shortest distance between 2 "points" is a straight line.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3775 times
    I think everything's on hand for the earliest (I think) type Galil build, including new replacements for the missing night sights. They are heavy suckers, but that's part of the shooting fun. There's practically no recoil. I've never handed my R4 to anybody who didn't really enjoy the way it shoots.

What I haven't found is a really nice wood handguard so if anyone has one or has a lead, let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    546 times
    A must to carry the east! Installs 5 minutes. K-Var/
    The shortest distance between 2 "points" is a straight line.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hi, I havent been on here in awhile. I was reading your post and post from scotty. Im usually on the Akfiles....Im really into the early stuff too. So I will start from Muzzle to back stock in a General way. Mostly to consider the 1973 to 1975 parts. In late 1975 some parts were being changed for various reasons. I will address mainly the early parts.

Muzzle brake was a non resessed single grenade wire brake resembling a M16, some people call this a type 2 for some reason which is incorrect as it is a 1st production type.

Barrel was 18.5 inches

Gasblock had lugs for connection a pinned bipod. The GB has a mille finish and also to not this was manually milled as most parts were on a production line. Non CNC finished. The Gasblock has the flat front unlike the latter that has a angle. The Sight hood has noticeably thicker metal in comparisson to later models. The sight itself is AKM like but is longer and the viewing stem is thinner than a AKM. Gas block has a chrome lining where piston operates. The roll pin holes have no nubbs like the the latter versions. There were slight variations on the GB ID due to some non comformity while machining. Most of the block will have some off centered angles milled as these were made in manual production (Non CNC). Anyways enough about blocks.....to note there was no immediate plan to add bayonet till later in production.

The front hand guard retainer on the early models was slightly thicker than the latter. Inside back has a short bottom squareed protrusion to help keep hand guard centered and in place. This was later lengthened around 1979-80....The Arm was also slightly longer compared to new models. Handguards were wood and all had cuts for the carry handle retainer.

The rear carry handle retainer was manually milled from a single block of steel and very very hefty!...These things are cool and kinda hard to come by....They switched to casting about a year into production...Not a full cast but one that need allot less work.carry handle was slightly less thans a 1/4 of rounded metal with hard plastic.

Receiver was dual cut and many of the early Galils were actually RK62 finnish receivers. Some rare examples have small finish stamping. Stamp codes of "M" would signify a Finnish receiver. It is unkown the exact amount sent I heard at least 1k to 1500.

Early Galils also utilized the RK62 trigger assembly (Yes real RK 62 trigger assemblies) until tooling was finalized. The israelis continued to used the single spring system until the dual spring system was adopted just 2 to 3 years into use.

Early carriers were rumored to have been finnish produced but I have no proof of that, the ealy pistons used were triangular and finish produced and were pinned like AKMs and then threaded, They later changed to the star pattern.

Top covers had no rear reinforement until 1976 ish. The ejection area of the cover was wide and had a spot weld tab to help with deflection. the rear sights basically were a modified version of the Valmet using a peep system. Basically remained unchanged, the early versions ver milled and weled in from the bottom like the later though the later ones were cast. Some early versions were bronze welded in.

Recoil system is telescoping and some early issued Galils had short buttons in rear. I have to be honest the recoil assemblies are boring historically.

Rear stock knuckle receiver side is squared and individally milled from a single block. These are very noticable. The is no lightening like you see in the later versions.

Rear stock knuckle stock side has longer arms compared to the later with fine milled lines without rounding. Pin was either solid or a roll pin used.

All early versions had the super cool curved stock

Thats all I gotta say for the earlies to be General, check out some of the rewelds over on the Akfiles.

Almost forgot do forget the black paint. they had a slightly more glossy that matte black finish. Not Semi gloss but not matte....

My rewelds Ihold dear and they are my favorites. Shoot so nice its just a pleasure to shoot them.......Good luck and again sorry for my absence....Ron
    Last edited by mullicrk; 02-09-2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added some information
    scottyb, Peter 13, Gman and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1007 times
    That’s some good information

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks, it take a addiction to parts to figure out the madness of all those model changes.

Those early stock are my favorite. Reminds me of the 1919 A6 for obvious reasons.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors