or beer

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Very interesting- thanks for posting.

Member #
    Liked
    4608 times
    I would love to have an R4 or even the R5. The SA folks seem to have made subtle changes to the rifle to improve it.
    needs moar AK

or beer

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7745 times
    A micro Galil from a reletive working overseas. Pic is a few years old. Not sure if he still works for the same company

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    scottyb and Moses1986 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I would love to have an R4 or even the R5. The SA folks seem to have made subtle changes to the rifle to improve it.

I ran one for a couple days w/some Paras down in Cape Town a couple years ago. I'm not really tall but definitely above average height. Most guys in the squad I worked w/were right around my height w/ a couple being taller. IMO, the extended stock throws the whole rifle off balance and I can't see how extending the LOP as significantly as they did improved it's function as a whole. Plus it's kind of heavy for it's size. There were a couple/few small improvements that the video illuminated, but IMHO the Galil in general is overrated. It's basically a complex AK. If the west had better trade relations w/ZA I think they would've gone w/a different rifle. A large % of ZA and Rhodie SOF guys went w/standard AK's and US weapons whenever they could get their hands on them, which says a lot.

As Kalashnikov himself stated: "All that is too complex is unnecessary, and it is simple that is needed."
    scottyb, MacSr63 and Moses1986 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2337 times
    I really want an R5.
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4608 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I really want an R5.

It is possible to put a kit together but not all the parts are easily available.

I still want one also.

I will most likely settle for another Galil. SAR with a barrel cut to 14.5" and the larger flash hinder pinned would be a nice substitute and way more obtainable.

A Micro Galil with the left side charging handle would be the Titties but they are north of 3K.

An Ace pistol in 5.56 with a folding brace then sbrd to add the propper rear stock seems like another alternative.
    Last edited by scottyb; 08-05-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Leviathan likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    829 times
    APEX has some Galil kits. I figure that will be the only way I’m able to put my hands on one.

Member #
    Liked
    4608 times
    I just got that email today. I kind of like the Numrich kits better and there is a hand select option. AF has kits too for as cheap as I have seen.

I found a 1:7 1988 unused barrel, I may or may not buy a parts kit/receiver and build/have built. Or send barrel to a builder I know who has kits/receivers.

At any rate it looks like I will eventually add to my Galil quiver, if the two rifles I already have make a quiver that is.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    It is possible to put a kit together but not all the parts are easily available.

I still want one also.

I will most likely settle for another Galil. SAR with a barrel cut to 14.5" and the larger flash hinder pinned would be a nice substitute and way more obtainable.

A Micro Galil with the left side charging handle would be the Titties but they are north of 3K.

An Ace pistol in 5.56 with a folding brace then sbrd to add the propper rear stock seems like another alternative.
    I have almost pulled the trigger a few times on a galil kit. I can never find a barrel I like though. I really want a 1 in 7 chrome lined at the very least. None of this 1 in 12 18 inch nonsense that’s been nitrided. For all the kits on the market you’d think a chrome lined barrel in 1:7 would pop up. I’d definitely settle for a sar though.

Man I would be on the galil ace rifles and pistols like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm if they would import a version that actually uses galil mags. If I’m rocking stanag I’m rocking an ar plain and simple. I really like the original feel and that is sorely missing from all but the 7.62x39 variant. I won’t hold my breath.

Someday I’m going to have 3000 dollars in hand and bump into that imported galil I never had the money for the last time I bumped into it. When it happens all I will have left in the bucket list is crazy shit like dragunov’s and stg44’s.
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4608 times
    I ordered a hand select kit from Numrich and it arrived today. It was covered in torch slag and very dirty, missing the night sights and the large parts were all jumbled into the same bag with the result that the dust cover got scratched. It does have the receiver stubs but they are mangled pretty badly and not use able I hope the bullet guide can be rescued.

I do not recommend going this route. Should have ordered the Apex kit and one of their 18" barrels.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1638 times
    I went down a Gunjoker hole last night for a bit. There's a surprising number of individual R4 parts listed.

Sponsors