Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jithaca

Thread: Help ID bolt carrier

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Help ID bolt carrier

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the long post guys. I have this Izzy bolt carrier and was hoping you all might help me determine what year it was produced. It was advertised as used on 70-73 so I bought it for my 73 build not realizing there may have been variations during those years. I was told by a knowledgeable member here that the serial numbers went to 6 digit numerical in mid 72 which would make this one a bit early for my 73. The back section looks mid 70ís from pictures Iíve seen but there is no relief cut where the bolt rides like Iíve seen on other mid 70ís carriers. So, can anyone tell me when the relief cut was implemented and would this one still be correct on a 73? Or would it be more appropriate for a 70 or 71 build? Thank you!

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1236 times
    Batch code on the serial number went away in mid 1972. The forged bolt carrier, as indicated by the visible forging line just above the serial number stampings, happened in very late 1969 or 1970. So that carrier was issued with a rifle made between very late 1969 and mid 1972.

The relief cut on the bottom side was introduced in 1973 somewhere between serial numbers 290922 and 380544.
    22many likes this.
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

Sponsors