Noob needs help!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Noob needs help!

Hey all. I recently purchased my first AK. It an InterOrdinace Inc AK 74. The closest I've gotten to IDing is on Classic Firearms. Apparently it's Bulgarian. It has a 6 1/2 inch forend with a 4 13/16 guard on the gas tube. The upper guard is apparently crimped onto it. I was hoping that would be enough for an ID, and some info on spare parts. Especially info on how to change the upper hand guard, and what gas tubes I can get to replace it in case there is a weld I'm not seeing. Any knowledge to which furniture that would fit would also be a big help.

Member #
    Liked
    8065 times
    Pics would help.

Not sure what would be welded but the upper handguard twists off. Sometimes you have to lock the gas tube in a vice but all you do is twist.

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Most AK family weapons will share gas tube dimensions as well as furniture. Keep in mind of course that most of the time you're going to have to do some fiddling to get stuff to fit. Those parts were never designed to be precision fits like AR furniture, so a bit of shaving and squeezing is normal when putting on new furniture. Gas tubes can just get filed down if it doesn't quite fit, and if its loose thats fine.

Pics would help for sure. But the Gas tube guard is usually removed by rotating one end of the gas tube so that the wood can slide out. This is usually quite tight if you have an original combloc gas tube and furniture, it will usually be vice work if its particularly stuff. My friend's kit would absolutely not budge, it was easier to file down his handguard so it could rotate in from the bottom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1007 times
    Do a search on the internet for AK handguard removal, there are several that shows the operation. BTW, welcome to the group.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    You bought an AK without know where it was made and when ? Wow

Member #
    Liked
    8065 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfell View Post
    You bought an AK without know where it was made and when ? Wow
    I don't know when most of my guns were made unless it explicitly states. Nor do I really care. Granted my AKs are mainly Arsenal and WASR.

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    It's quite easy to not know where any gun you buy comes from. Particularly if you don't ask when you buy it. Or if it was a Consignment. Or if you bought it from a gunstore that bought it from a private party. Or you buy it directly from a private party.

The more important thing is examining the weapon thoroughly before you buy it to look for flaws.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Alright, thanks for the help with the handguard disassembly. That advice really helped. Easy enough to twist off, with a pair of work gloves on. As for make, it IS Bulgarian. The condition it is in is very good. It still wasn't really broken in, and and the internals seemed damn near spotless. Honestly it was an impulse buy ,as I'd been interested in buying an AK for a while, but when I saw the 74 i had to have it because I've always been keen on the 5.45 cartridge. I'm glad I did, the 5.45 is so soft and flat shooting that I ran through 2 mags before I knew it! The only problem I'm having with it is it's a bit of a hassle finding ammo, but then I remembered the internet is a thing. Again, thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Hammerhawg; 08-16-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    341 times
    Youtube video's would really help ya , or a member close to your AO is best .
    -

====================================

** Colt / FN / LWRCI **
    ====================================

Member #
    Liked
    8065 times
    Did IO Inc ever import Bulgarian? I can't remember. I pretty sure what you have is a US AK built using Bulgarian parts. Very common type of build

Sponsors