• 4 Post By esh21167
  • 1 Post By esh21167
  • 1 Post By 22many

Thread: Wasr ID help

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wasr ID help

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and I have a question regarding some ID. I found an AK at a pawn shop listed as a Romarm WASR, but there is a hook protruding from the left side of the receiver just before the hand guard. I've never seen this before on an AK pattern rifle. The rifle looks like Bubba worked it over pretty good, but I cant figure out what this could be. Pictures are of the part in question. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    906 times
    Looks like a latch for a folding stock, btw welcome to the forum.

Member #
    Liked
    6177 times
    That is an ignorant shop listing a home build or inferior gunsmith build as a WASR. It is not a WASR.

Screws instead of rivets holding the trigger guard in place. Romanian front trunnion welded to the receiver. These are common traits of a build that may have been done long ago when proper build tools and knowledge were more common. That or bubba just didn't care to do it right. It might shoot OK - but for how long?

The front latch is supposed to retain a Bulgarian or Russian style triangular shaped folding stock when folded. That style stock and latch are not original to that Romanian kit - "custom" added by someone.

The plus side is it might be built on an original barrel kit - one that had the barrel pressed and pinned back in Romania. If so - then it is worth a little less than an original barrel kit. The price tag might be worth it. If purchased demilling it and rebuilding it correctly would be the way to go. Demilling a trunnion welded to a receiver can be tricky and time consuming.

You'd have to remove the top cover, recoil spring, bolt and carrier and gas tube to get a look at the barrel to check for original barrel markings. Might have to remove that lower hand guard as well to see the markings. Lower hand guard is from a Bulgarian milled AK47. It probably fits loose on that AKM trunnion.

Here are Romanian barrel markings from one of my 1972 dated kits for comparison. The "2" symbols are barrel component journal sizes - usually 1 2 3 or 4.

Last edited by MPiKM-72; 01-25-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    Thrasher likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Welcome to the group!

Have to agree with MPiKM-72 that what you have is not a WASR-10 which not only were marked as such, did not have the dimples of the AKM on either side of the mag well. Also the bolted on trigger guard is another potential red flag. Welds instead of rivets holding the front trunion in place, HUGE red flag.

Oh and yes, that hook would be the latch to hold the side folding stock.

Member #
    Liked
    2038 times
    Welcome!

Pass on that turd.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

Member #
    Liked
    698 times

Member #
    Liked
    7843 times
    The latch is for the side folder to hold to when folded. That's not Bubba, unfortunately everything else in the pictures is.

The trunnion (the part with the s# and triangle with arrow inside) is welded (those flat looking blotches) instead of riveted!

Trunnion

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the responses! Wouldn't have guessed a stock holder, all the triangle stocks I've seen have been after market without the hook. I might try and see if I can work the price down to a manageable level, and treat it as a gut job/ "headspaced" parts kit. I have to admit I kinda like the folder on a Romy parts kit.

Member #
    Liked
    990 times
    Reggie, go to this thread to see what the sidefolder with this type of side lock looks like:

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/23...de-folder.html

Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Valid point on it possibly being salvaged for some decent parts, especially if an original barrel that has not been damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    That is an ignorant shop listing a home build or inferior gunsmith build as a WASR. It is not a WASR.

Screws instead of rivets holding the trigger guard in place. Romanian front trunnion welded to the receiver. These are common traits of a build that may have been done long ago when proper build tools and knowledge were more common. That or bubba just didn't care to do it right. It might shoot OK - but for how long?

The front latch is supposed to retain a Bulgarian or Russian style triangular shaped folding stock when folded. That style stock and latch are not original to that Romanian kit - "custom" added by someone.

The plus side is it might be built on an original barrel kit - one that had the barrel pressed and pinned back in Romania. If so - then it is worth a little less than an original barrel kit. The price tag might be worth it. If purchased demilling it and rebuilding it correctly would be the way to go. Demilling a trunnion welded to a receiver can be tricky and time consuming.

You'd have to remove the top cover, recoil spring, bolt and carrier and gas tube to get a look at the barrel to check for original barrel markings. Might have to remove that lower hand guard as well to see the markings. Lower hand guard is from a Bulgarian milled AK47. It probably fits loose on that AKM trunnion.

Here are Romanian barrel markings from one of my 1972 dated kits for comparison. The "2" symbols are barrel component journal sizes - usually 1 2 3 or 4.

MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    408 times
    Love to see a pic of the fire control group.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8372 times
    I like posts like this from new members. Congrats to the OP for coming here to ask for info. Most people just buy and realize they have a mess later.

Honestly, if the OP doesn't have the tools or knowledge to unfuck it from its current state then he should pass. Buy another rifle that is built right and you will save yourself ALOT of money. This one, I guarantee you will have over a $1000 into it to have it fixed correctly.

In its current state to a builder id say the value is around $250 if it matches and is original barrel in good shape.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    That may be a side folder latch. But it's under the front trunnion, is it not?
    All Wars are Bankers' Wars

"Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. You are a den of vipers and thieves."

- Andrew Jackson

Sponsors