good = chamber round + pull trigger = bang
    bad = chamber round + pull trigger = click

Indeed!

Still blasting away with Golden Tiger.....no complaints
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    408 times
    I have a ton of Tula which some is FMJ some is hollow point hunting rounds.
    Have a bunch of GT and some Russian white box whatever that is numerically. It seems a lot hotter tho'.
    Have some Czech brass cased and S&B brass cased and several spam cans of Romanian corrosive too.
    I just run whatever I have on hand and don't have a favorite.
    Last edited by fussbudget; 05-23-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Lapau

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Range ammo? Anything will work. Buy them all. If you find one is more accurate than another but that one.

SD ammo will be like any other SD ammo. It will be something from a US commercial manufacturer. I believe Hornady is really the only one. Possibly Winchester.
    Yugoslav M67 surplus ball ammo is good but not cheap anymore and corrosive, which means you have to clean as soon as possible or chance rust.
    8M3 effect seems to be good. As well as Golden Tiger (GT).

Typically when people say they want the best they don't really want to pay but......some of the best all around ammo is Lapua from Finland but it's hard to find and will cost you dearly.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    I have quite a bit of brand new Lapau. Can someone tell me how to sell it online.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7847 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nato4585 View Post

I have quite a bit of brand new Lapau. Can someone tell me how to sell it online.
    Are you in the US?

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I own 2 Arsenal SAM-7 and one SAM-7S rifles and the only ammo that I shoot in them is Cheetah from Vector Arms. It is brass cased and non-corrosive. I do not care for steel case ammo. I can only guess that the force required to extract the steel case from the chamber would be higher than that on the softer brass case. This would would put a higher load on the extractor claw. AK's have large, tough extractor claws, but why make put more stress on it if that can be avoided with brass case ammo?

I like doing business with Vector, anyway. It is a great company. You can save money if you but 3 cases at a time.

My 2 cents.

Member #
    Liked
    7847 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cepians View Post
    I own 2 Arsenal SAM-7 and one SAM-7S rifles and the only ammo that I shoot in them is Cheetah from Vector Arms. It is brass cased and non-corrosive. I do not care for steel case ammo. I can only guess that the force required to extract the steel case from the chamber would be higher than that on the softer brass case. This would would put a higher load on the extractor claw. AK's have large, tough extractor claws, but why make put more stress on it if that can be avoided with brass case ammo?

I like doing business with Vector, anyway. It is a great company. You can save money if you but 3 cases at a time.

My 2 cents.
    You're over thinking it. Not sure there's any difference in force and if so it's negligible. Considering that most eastern European military ammo is not brass and they don't typically baby their equipment. Also, if you look around you'll find tests that have been done on the hardness of brass vs steel case and you'd be surprised that more often than not the brass is as hard and sometimes harder than steel.

https://youtu.be/qBAh_8usXBI

Where are you finding cheetah ammo? Nothing on vector's web site about it and I thought Vector closed after that whole selling repackaged Chinese ammo to the US government fiasco

Last edited by Arik; 07-23-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11351 times
    Cheetah brand ammo has not been available for a few years. That stuff was made in South Africa, correct?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    7847 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    Cheetah brand ammo has not been available for a few years. That stuff was made in South Africa, correct?
    Yes

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, Valley Forge, PA

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    You're probably gonna get the same hits, Golden Tiger, surplus Yugo M67, and anything from Barnaul.
    Those are mine as well.

Just don't make the mistake of buying a case of one untested brand unless you're OK with blasting thru it if it's crap.

Most of my rifles will shoot good stuff better than bad but my WASR doesn't seem to care but shoots the Tula 154 gr. better than anything so that's the only Tula I stock.

In brass case PPU is my preference, when I can find it for 50 cents/round. Picked up a couple hundred rounds of Geco when it was 40 cents and it's OK but PPU shoots tighter.
    But again, try first. My WASR will NOT reliably extract brass case Yugo or PPU, chamber must be rough. Which is OK cause it has a taste for 154 gr. bullets anyways.

At least 7.62x39 seems to have the least variation between brands than any other caliber. I've got an AR upper that shoots surplus 7N6 as well as my 5.56 AR but with all the commercial loads I've tried groups are twice as big and 60 grain groups like it got lost from the crown to the target.

I like Brown Bear, Monarch & any Wolf from the Barnaul plant for good 'bang for the buck' ammo.

Wolf Premium & GT are my top choices, not so much for their performance but because they're sealed so well, good stuff for stacking deep.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Golden tiger my top choice because it's well made by Vympel, and has a boat tail bullet.
    Avatar is the butt stock marking of a new condition 1941 Portuguese contract K98 Mauser

Member #
    Liked
    1276 times
    I'm guessing that availability and affordability has never come into question here.
    May be good reasons to refine the question or put forth certain criteria in the search.
    MAGA- let's get this show on the road!

Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I have a Cabelas nearby, donít shoot a ton, definitely donít shoot my AK a ton(they all need some love, right?), and I used Red Army Standard. Hollow point and soft point, both shoot the same. Accurate enough for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have Tula ammo and my Wasr eats it like candy. Its cheap and because its an AK47 it doesn't have to be cleaned every time you shoot it. Although I run a toothbrush with oil on it in the innards and a rag thru the barrel after each days shooting. Enjoy and have fun.

Member #
    Liked
    196 times
    I haven't really noticed any difference in all the stuff I have shot - be it corrosive, steel case surplus or commercial brass case. I will say that the only kind I have ever shot that I noticed any real improvement in accuracy with was this stuff I found in a LGS that was apparently some Cold War era brass case imported from South Africa. It came in these little cardboard boxes that were shaped like the boxes you get Chinese take out in. I think I read somewhere that it was produced in South Africa to use in the multitude of AK's they confiscated from the commies. I have only shot about 300 rounds of the stuff, and it was either really good or I just had a better than average day at the range on that particular day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors