• 1 Post By coatsbj
  • 1 Post By DasVidaniya

Thread: New member from Columbia, SC

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

New member from Columbia, SC

Good morning, all!

New guy from Columbia, SC. Have had AKs and VZ-58s for as long as I have owned guns. Being a little stir-crazy in the present national condition, figured it was a good time to try my hand at a build. As such, probably a good time to join the forum. ..I'll no doubt need all the help I can get!
    Sunspot likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1138 times
    Building is like eating potato chips...you can't just eat one. Welcome aboard.

Member #
    Liked
    1182 times
    Welcome to the group!

AK/AKM variants become very addictive, like eating only one potato chip, owning just one, or two, or three, or... variants is almost impossible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Welcome! not too far from you.

Member #
    Liked
    1476 times
    Oh yeah, got some sand hills folks here.

florence.jpg
    Sunspot likes this.
    ​Valor and Skill

Member #
    Liked
    1095 times
    Welcome... from the hood also.
    "Never thought I'd say this, but that's a real nice pair you got there Jeff." - Fiorentino

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Colombia SC is one of my favorite places

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow...way more people than I thought from the area! Are there ever any "build parties" here (in different times than these)? And/or does anyone here do on-site "rentals" of proper tools?

The wife was pissed off enough with how much I spent on this Tula parts kit and the rest of the bits and pieces. Wasn't about the go spend just as much on all these jigs. Thought they were just a convenience, but rapidly finding out they are more of a necessity. 🙂

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1076 times
    I don't know anyone around here who does build parties, last one I knew about was a prob 10 years ago. I had read years ago that the BATFE had started causing problems for them and since then haven't seen anyone actually advertising they do it anymore (obviously you'll get a group a friends who do it from time to time). It really doesn't make sense to tool up if you're only going to build a couple guns, even with kit prices the way they are now you'll end up with as much in tools cost wise as kits. I know, people will say all you need is this $200 set of tools from toth and a set of harbor freight bolt cutters and early on I built a couple dozen kits up with tools exactly like that, you'll get a functioning gun, but if you want to build it right and you're looking for a quality build every time, you're gonna start dropping coin.

There is a fair number of hardcore ak collectors in the Carolinas, I've personally met and traded/sold/bought with a couple dozen and know prob 5x that many off the forums. Over the last few years there's been a yearly shoot loosely organized at one of the ranges outside of Charlotte NC, haven't seen anything about it this year with all that's going on. Typically it's just someone rents out the range for the day, everyone brings guns and ammo and has a good time, it's generally been around this time of year, I'll hit up the guy who normally gets the ball rolling on it and see if it's gonna happen this year.
    Some of you are too young to remember this but back in my day we had so much toilet paper that we threw it into the trees of our enemies.

WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey I also live in Columbia and I'm just getting started in collecting and building aks so good to know that there's a possibility of meeting more experienced people near me

Sponsors