Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New guy here from the foothills of NC

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New guy here from the foothills of NC

Hey all and happy holidays.

I've had this NIB AK, Norinco MAK90 with machined receiver since 2011. It came with a normal set of wooden furniture, so swapped out the ugly sporter set. I want to "Black it" up a bit. Any ideas or leads where I can get some parts?

Thanks and have a great night.

Sid

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Tapco if you want to bubba it

Member #
    Liked
    1105 times
    Welcome to the group.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5664 times
    Rattle can o spray paint
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    If I had a milled MAK-90 in the box, I would either:

(A) leave it there
    (B) take it out and convert it into a Milled Type 56 like this thing:

20170720-093507.jpg

You'd have to get a competent welder for the rear of the receiver and gather up all the proper parts, but it would still be bad ass.
    Mekanak47 and otus like this.

Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post
    If I had a milled MAK-90 in the box, I would either:

(A) leave it there
    (B) take it out and convert it into a Milled Type 56 like this thing:

20170720-093507.jpg

You'd have to get a competent welder for the rear of the receiver and gather up all the proper parts, but it would still be bad ass.
    Unless you do this to it ^, you are beginning to devalue it. If you’re gonna black it up with value priced parts you might just want to get one of the “builder specials” from Atlantic. They come with no furniture but otherwise assembled.
    Big thanks to Moses1986, 10Gauge, Pookie, NFA ARMS, Duck Durbin and all Honorable Members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    I have a stamped MAK-90 to spiker conversion and I still find myself wanting a milled one. I found a stamped one in a pawn shop a few years ago for a "good price" (compared to now, especially), and proceeded to de-ban. I kinda wish I had waited around and found a milled one like OP's to have all the work done on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good Sunday afternoon guys. Thanks so much for the replies and pic. I do not know if I spoke out of turn saying it was a Norinco. I thought I remembered it being so when I bought it on GunBroker years back. See attached pics. Here is where its sat for the last 9 or so years in the cave in the basement. Take it out for nothing other than to show it off on Holidays or when a friend or family member comes around.
    I was just getting the itch to shoot it as I've never shot ANY AK before. But I like I said, its NIB. I'd like to keep it that way for whatever reason. Maybe build a shooter as you guys suggested.

Can you tell if its a Norinco or not by the pics? I do like the color of that blond wood in your guys' pic. Is that available somewhere?

Thanks and again, have a great safe holiday.

Sid20191229_153049.jpg20191229_153040.jpg20191229_153014.jpg
    Last edited by cityjack; 12-29-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Color text addition

Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    I don't think anyone here "speaks out of turn" LOL. You're good, bro. Merry Christmas.

Did you - or someone else - put some Ironwood Designs furniture on it? I think it looks good like it sits. I don't know if anyone makes a polymer stock for slant cut receivers like yours, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone did.

Your receiver is probably stamped "NORINCO" on it somewhere, but the 386 in the oval stamp indicates this was to originally be a Polytech Legend import to Keng's Firearm Specialties in Atlanta, Georgia. When the Bush Ban hit in '89, they had to rework a bunch of their inventory into MAK-90 configuration. Also, the first two digits of your serial number - 93 - represents the year of import being 1993. Most of the guns imported after the '89 "sporting clause" import ban garbage had this two digit year code stamped in front of their original serial number. So, your 7-digit new serial number is 9350316, the top cover is marked with factory-original, pre-Bush Ban 5-digit serial number of 50316, and various other parts like your bolt & carrier, gas tube, safety, etc., should have an abbreviated 4-digit serial number of 0316

Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    Coincidentally, this morning I posted some 35mm photos of the very factory where your rifle was made - Chinese State Arsenal, Factory 386.

If you are interested in actually seeing where your rifle was made and the people who made it, the pics are in this thread. Great rifle you got there, BTW.

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/24...ml#post2939457

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The original owner whom I purchased from put the wood on it. He included the old sporter pieces though I bought. You are correct in that all my other metal pieces are stamped with the same 0316#.

Sir you mention that it was originally slated to be a Polytech Legend. So because of the Bush ban, it then became a Norinco? I'm confused, forgive me please.

You say its a nice gun, does this mean coveted? I mean rare? I look on GunBroker, and a lot of what I see are stamped models, used at anywhere from 800 - 1100. Roughly, what would you say this would be worth? Just curious.

I think I really need to purchase something I can shoot. I do not want to mess with this one.

Thanks a ton for your help.

Sid

Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    Like I said earlier, if it was my gun I would probably just upgrade to that Type 56 configuration or leave it in the safe. Scratch that - I would be on some obscure site looking for parts right now. If you do want to shoot it, I really don't see anything wrong with just rolling with the wood that is already on there. Ironwood furniture is nice, and it's not cheap, either. That being said, I don't think it would ever be considered collectible stuff.

As far as going the other route and just buying something else for shooting, there are still deals out there to be had if you look hard enough. Sometimes $600 can buy you an entry-level WASR-10, sometimes $600 will get you a gently-used 7.62x39mm RWC Group Russian Saiga conversion. There's one just like that sitting in a pawn shop about ten minutes down the road from my house right now. If you live anywhere near the Northeast Georgia line from where you are in NC, it might be worth it to make the drive. Somebody needs to buy that thing before I do.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks a ton bot and be safe.

Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cityjack View Post
    Sir you mention that it was originally slated to be a Polytech Legend. So because of the Bush ban, it then became a Norinco?
    Kinda/Sorta, "yes" and "no". Don't feel bad about being confused.

This information is basically the best of my knowledge on the situation, and I could be wrong about some stuff, but this is basically how I understand it.

Norinco was (and still is I believe) a big state-run Communist Chinese arms manufacturer and exporter. They also make other stuff but small arms was their bread and butter. All the different AK factories located all over China would have fallen under the "Norinco Brand", if I am remembering all of this stuff correctly.

Anyway, someone, somewhere along the line back in the 80's decided to make basically a "Premium Line" (or at least a new brand name) offshoot of the Norinco stuff but under the Polytech name. The rifles were reportedly all manufactured in one factory - the Factory 386 link I posted earlier. All these Polytech rifles went to Mr. Keng in Atlanta, I believe. He still operates under the Polytech name even today. So, you had one factory in China exporting to one American importer in Atlanta, Georgia.

After the '89 ban hit, the milled Polytech Legend could no longer be imported in its "Legend Configuration". Could not have bayonet lug, pistol grip, etc. I'm sure Factory 386 had plenty of inventory they would have been stuck sitting on thanks to GHWB, so the decision was made to take all the leftover stuff and convert them into MAK-90's, and slap "NORINCO" on them, and load them all up on the Slow Boat to China's return voyage back to The States. From 1990 to 1994 before the TOTAL CHINESE AK BAN, the Chicoms supposedly dumped like a million MAK-90's into the US gun market.

The main reason the communist Chinese were forever banned from the US handgun, centerfire rifle, & ammo market was that Norinco executives operating in the US (I believe it was California) got caught up in some federal sting operation trying to sell a boatload of fully-automatic North Korean Type 58 assault rifles to some Salvadorian street gang, or something. They also got caught selling weapons to Iran in violation of something or another. The Chinese working at all these importers that sprang up all over the country turned out to be Chinese intelligence in many cases, as well. The Norinco execs who were selling the North Korean AK's got tipped off and presumably fled back to China. This is gonna sound kinda lame, but they REALLY WERE "never seen or heard from ever again". Like no one knows if they fled back to China and assumed another identity with government backing, or if they were just executed after a short trial for getting the Chicoms kicked out of a very large market share of firearms sales.
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 12-29-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1123 times
    Welcome to the group!

Your rifle came into this country with that Bush-hole stock. Very smart of the original owner to keep it since original parts will keep their value more than if the rifle came with what looks like an Ironwood Designs set. While the Ironwood set is expensive, original will sucker in a collector if you keep it in excellent condition.

Thanks to Bush the First, Poly Tech stopped sending completed AK variants into the land of shall not be infringed. Norinco took over virtually everything. Without Bush1 your rifle would have become a Legend Underfolder, hence the strange shape of the rear of the receiver. To keep it from becoming evil (per Bush1 and the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment) the underfolder receiver did not get the hole drilled for the folder, and a round hole was drilled in the rear to prevent easy conversion to fixed stock. Thankfully Ironwood makes a buttstock to fit the odd cut receiver.

As I said earlier, keeping the rifle in original condition is more important than some people want to admit. The reason is simple supply and demand. There are no more AK variants being imported into the land of shall not be infringed, and with more people getting into the hobby the value is skyrocketing. Change the wood to plastic if you desire, but remember that modifying the furniture to fit the rifle is fine, but modifying a milled MAK-90 to fit furniture buys you a nice shooter that might be hard to sell.

My 2 cents as a long time Chinese AK lover, researcher and collector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors