USA made AK's
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: USA made AK's

Member #
    Liked
    307 times

USA made AK's

Hey folks as you all know I am from the Khyber region so we have alots of AK's over there & manufacture ourselves.
    Do you guys have some US made AK's?? Like I had seen some companies over the internet that they make AK's in US. School me plz.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    I'm the furthest thing from an expert but here goes...

Most AK's in the US are imported and have to have US parts- 7 I think, in order to be legal so we get them disassembled with the receivers cut into pieces("demilled"). We typically get them from the usual ex-ComBloc sources. As far as 100% US made AK's, AFAIK we are seriously lacking anything of any real quality. There's quite a few other members in here that would know more but I'm pretty sure that's the deal over here in a nutshell.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3839 times
    You're asking about AKs that are assembled in the US from components manufactured in the US. There are some very high quality and well-engineered AK accessory components made here, but the "All US-made" AKs sold so far are junk. Poorly made from inferior materials.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5077 times
    Confirmed. US made AKs are not up to former comblock country standards.

I wish it was not true but it is.

We do have well made receivers, barrels, rivets and other accessories.
    JeepFan likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    2238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfaq Shah View Post
    USA made AK's
    Suck balls.

Companies build to a price point here. Just how it is, all about that dolla dolla bill.
    A big part of it has got to be the fact that ARs grow on trees over here.
    scottyb and JeepFan like this.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    If a good company here in the USA wanted to put out an extremely hi quality AK's they could easily do it. Absolutely no reason why they cant. We are stuck with mediocre company's that give the USA a bad name when it comes to AK's because they cheap out and cut corners. That's pretty bad IMO because the AK has looser tolerances then a liberal throwing a shit fit.
    btr, Thrasher and 43m1garand like this.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3334 times
    There are a number of AK pattern parts produced in the USA that are of high quality.

Receivers, barrels, furniture (stocks, handguards, grips), gas pistons, fire control groups, muzzle brakes to name the most common.

The problems have been in the bolts and trunnions.
    Poor castings and not durable.
    Failures in these parts have put several companies out of business.

But there are a couple companies who seem to be progressing.

In the early days the barrels and receivers were not the best.
    Over time they were perfected and are of very good quality today for the most part.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I’ve been considering getting one myself, as I want one of the PSA side folder 100 series trunnions.

Frankly I think the reason for the crappy US AKs stem from the fact that American labor costs are claimed to be higher than many other nations making these (that’s not an area I’m familiar with, so I don’t really know), so to keep costs down and competitive they skimp out on materials, like my brothers C39V2 with the cast bolt and carrier (thankfully it hasn’t blown up yet. He’s going to replace the bolt and carrier).

Personally, I’d pay $1000 or more for a well built, “combloc grade” US made AK, and if it was as well built, durable, etc as an import I’d chose domestic manufacturing over an import.

But, it doesn’t seem we are there yet.

I feel like the AK market is very similar to the 1911 market in parts and manufacturing. Poorly QC’d mim and cast parts, and any corners that can be cut to make a firearm work alright and be “safe enough”.

I’m new to this forum, but liked AKs for years. I hope most of the US made AKs become very nice before god forbid another assault weapons ban here.

I could be wrong on some or all the above, but that’s my perception of it.

I also think, from my limited experience, not -all- US made AKs are literally “trash”, but I wouldn’t consider any mass produced US made AKs equal to the combloc stuff. I’ve not owned a US made one yet, for that reason, but I would like to get a PSA now that they are forged. I wish they had the CHF CL barrel not the nitrided one.

Edited to fix poor wording.
    Last edited by Jeeps; 08-23-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Probably the PSA GF3 is the best US made AK type rifle as far as all US made parts go.
    Put together from parts kit, there are a lot of "manufacturers", some are OK, others are great.

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Inter-Ordanance makes an all american AK, but they have a rep for poor quality

Member #
    Liked
    8130 times
    There are two types of US made AKs.

The first is a military rifle is cut up into parts in it's home county and sent here as parts. Once here builders use those parts along with the military parts to build a functional rifle. These can be good or bad depending on the builder and the US parts they chose.

The second type is 100% made in the US. 99% of them suck. Poor quality.

If you were to use a grading system the best would be legal imports from Countries that make AKs, followed by good quality builds using military parts. And at the bottom would be 100% US made
    JeepFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    IMHO the best US built AK's are home build copys of the khyber AK's you folks build
    Thrasher likes this.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    "All US-made" AKs sold so far are junk. Poorly made from inferior materials.
    And that is just sad.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    My understanding is it has a lot to do with how the AK was originally made. All the major components are hammer forged and then finish machined. Hammer forging dies are very expensive, so unless you're going to be making hundreds of thousands or millions of units, its not going to be very economical. There's a huge amount of upfront cost to doing something like that, especially without a technical data package. The part has to be recreated from samples, tolerances worked out, prototypes made, costs of the dies and tooling once you get setup etc. So you have to have the capital for the initial investment, and the market has to have enough demand for the parts to make it a worthwhile endevour, which probably isn't there given that Romanian parts seem to still be readily available.

Now that's if you wanted to mimic the exact quality and manufacturing process of the Soviet made parts. I don't see why parts milled from billets couldn't be made with enough quality to hold up just as well, however you still have the hill of engineering and tooling costs to get over if you wanted to do it that way. Recently Recreator came out with US made front and rear sight blocks as well as a gas block. So maybe one day he will come out with the trunnions, bolts, and carriers too. It would be awesome if he could pull that off and secure AK building for years to come.

Afaik, all the current US made trunnions are cast and that's why they suck. Apparently you just can't get a casting made that's strong enough? But its super cheap and that's why a lot of these lower end companies go for it. I'd actually be curious to know what the failure modes are for those parts, do the locking lugs shear off? Do they crack when dropped? etc.
    Last edited by matt74; 08-22-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    sniper48 and Axel Foley like this.

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    Anyone of you has checked the rifle dynamics AK,?? I am not sure that its all made in US or kit build but they claim almost zero recoil on their rifle's.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors