Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: USA made AK's

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2090 times
    I have to disassemble a complete upper to free up the barrel. DD 16" middy. The Wheeler AR punch kit was only like 30 bucks. It's definitely not crap but I wouldn't classify it a high-end either. Right now I think I got maybe 75 bucks into all the gear so far and none it will ever go to waste. I've used the all the punches, to include the roll pin kit on a few other projects so it's all good. I'm probably going to say "fuck it" and throw down on one of those beefy Magpul $50 barrel wrenches. They look pretty formidable.

Member #
    Liked
    481 times
    This is my tool list for my build.
    I had the HF torque wrench so add another $10 - $15 if you don't have one. Of course you can do better than that, I calibrated mine so it came down to more than what I just paid for it.
    Just about everything I got, I waited for a sale over the course of a few months. Maybe add 15 - 20% to the total to get a more realistic (no sale, no deal) prices.

Aeroshell barrel and nut grease … 0.54
    Williams 10815 ” drive crowfoot wrench 1-1/4” … 20.51
    Yost 455 5.5” vise … 62.57
    Wheeler roll pin tool kit … 38.30
    Pro Mag Upper/Lower receiver vise block … 36.19
    Ergo Grip stock wrench … 5.89

Total … 164

Member #
    Liked
    2244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeZulu View Post
    I'm probably going to say "fuck it" and throw down on one of those beefy Magpul $50 barrel wrenches. They look pretty formidable.
    Money well spent. Very comfortable wrench, that feels like an actual wrench.
    The "load" is centered and not off to the side, feels much more solidly mated up when crankin' that MF'er (especially barrel nuts).
    Only thing is they don't work on pistol tubes. Get a cheapy buffer tube wrench for those
    Last edited by Thrasher; 08-27-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    YankeeZulu and scottyb like this.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    There are a few things holding 100% Murican AKs back.

The biggest is probably the fact that if they were to produce rifles to the same quality as Combloc rifles, the rifles would be more expensive than most people would be willing to pay.

And the reason it would cost more than what most people would be willing to pay is that AK kits are still quite affordable, and easy enough to assemble with common power tools. This all makes it not very attractive for an FFL to actually make high quality AKs. They can't really compete with home builders and parts kits.

I have daydreamed of founding an AK gunsmithing company, but the capital that would be required to start that up would be pretty massive. Certainly nothing I could do myself.
    Also in order to get in front of the smaller guy manufacturing guns the used the EPA to make sure that you couldn't chrome a barrel as well in the US as the did in the USSR.
    They don't want the Serf's having too many guns afterall.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Only thing I’ve needed for building ARs is a pin punch set, a magpul wrench (I prefer the magpul to the others I have as it seems less likely to mar the threads on the receiver extension) and a hammer and flat head screwdriver for staking receiver extensions, an Allen wrench or screwdriver for tightening pistol grip screw.

Hardest part I find is installing the front pivot pin detent. Easy to shoot those across the room.

A clevis pin (that fits in pivot pin hole, with hole sized for detent then pushing it down with a pin punch then rotating it to trap the detent) or using a spare pivot pin (put it in the opposite side it’s supposed to go in and it allows you to kinda brace the detent) can make it much easier. But I’ve found a lot of methods for getting that detent in.

Hopefully you guys don’t have too much trouble Zulu.

Member #
    Liked
    2244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post

Hardest part I find is installing the front pivot pin detent. Easy to shoot those across the room.
    Use an X-Acto/razor blade/anything thin & strong enough to hold the detent down while you install the pin.
    Truly is the only way.
    JeepFan likes this.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

Member #
    Liked
    5060 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Use an X-Acto/razor blade/anything thin & strong enough to hold the detent down while you install the pin.
    Truly is the only way.
    I do the same, easy peasy.

Also for this and other similar flying parts, I have assembled them in a plastic trash bag so when it does go flying no need to tear the shop apart.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post

Truly is the only way.
    Interesting idea! I’ll give that a try. I always just keep a spare pivot pin and it makes it take a few seconds.

Will try the razor blade for my next build.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3452 times
    There seem to be a number of quality American made barrels.
    Chromelined and other finishes.
    In the early days the production was not up to par from many sources.

Part of the problem is the AK production and demand is relatively low in the USA vs the AR.
    Also no military contracts for parts as is the case of the M16, M4 etc.
    No economy of scale for AK parts or production.

Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Also in order to get in front of the smaller guy manufacturing guns the used the EPA to make sure that you couldn't chrome a barrel as well in the US as the did in the USSR.
    They don't want the Serf's having too many guns afterall.

Member #
    Liked
    196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    I do the same, easy peasy.

Also for this and other similar flying parts, I have assembled them in a plastic trash bag so when it does go flying no need to tear the shop apart.
    I did use a blade now I use a slave pin or clevis pin. IMHO its easier, at least for my fat fingers...LOL

This guy did a good video on it.

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/in...vis-pin-trick/
    Last edited by motorolanut; 09-07-2019 at 04:06 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsors