USA made AK's - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: USA made AK's

  1. #31
    Senior Member

    Member #
    15343
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Beyond the yellow brick road
    Posts
    4,880
    Liked
    10066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel Foley View Post
    other than trunnions, what parts of the original AK type rifles from the USSR were forged? I know the front sight block and rear sight leaf. the bolt carrier assemblies are made from castings and then fiished on a machine.
    Bolts and bolt carriers weren't cast on comm-bloc AKs. Barrel, trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier were the forged parts.
    scottyb likes this.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

    Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

    ęDaedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

  2. #32
    Senior Member

    Member #
    62197
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    2nd Most Violent City In The State
    Posts
    425
    Liked
    210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel Foley View Post
    other than trunnions, what parts of the original AK type rifles from the USSR were forged? I know the front sight block and rear sight leaf. the bolt carrier assemblies are made from castings and then fiished on a machine.
    I always try to find a surface on the part that has not been touched by a machine and look at or feel it. Cast parts have that rough, straight from the foundry, surface. You can take a cast part and machine away all the telltale surfaces which makes it difficult to distinguish what process was used to create it. Sometimes a hardness test will let you know. I think the biggest problem we have is correct metallurgy. I’ve heard all kinds of stories about combloc trunnions being cast but who knows? All we need here is some quality bolts and trunnions because we are pretty close with all the quality parts that are made here. PSA is all we have right now but I will never pay that price for one.
    Big thanks to Moses1986, 10Gauge, Pookie, NFA ARMS, Duck Durbin and everyone that served this country.

  3. #33
    Senior Member

    Member #
    63653
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    139
    Liked
    70 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Bolts and bolt carriers weren't cast on comm-bloc AKs. Barrel, trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier were the forged parts.
    for real, damn. I thought the bolt carrier assembly was rough cast and then finished on a machine. One question though.....when you say those parts were forged, do you mean hammer forged or machined out of forged steel billets?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Senior Member

    Member #
    60509
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    123 times
    There are a few things holding 100% Murican AKs back.

    The biggest is probably the fact that if they were to produce rifles to the same quality as Combloc rifles, the rifles would be more expensive than most people would be willing to pay.

    And the reason it would cost more than what most people would be willing to pay is that AK kits are still quite affordable, and easy enough to assemble with common power tools. This all makes it not very attractive for an FFL to actually make high quality AKs. They can't really compete with home builders and parts kits.

    I have daydreamed of founding an AK gunsmithing company, but the capital that would be required to start that up would be pretty massive. Certainly nothing I could do myself.
    Averageman likes this.

  6. #35
    Senior Member

    Member #
    60509
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel Foley View Post
    for real, damn. I thought the bolt carrier assembly was rough cast and then finished on a machine. One question though.....when you say those parts were forged, do you mean hammer forged or machined out of forged steel billets?
    I was under the impression it was a mix. Hammer forged into rough shape and then machined out.

  7. #36
    Technical Advisor

    Member #
    2371
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    14,806
    Liked
    3446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    There are a few things holding 100% Murican AKs back.

    The biggest is probably the fact that if they were to produce rifles to the same quality as Combloc rifles, the rifles would be more expensive than most people would be willing to pay.

    And the reason it would cost more than what most people would be willing to pay is that AK kits are still quite affordable, and easy enough to assemble with common power tools. This all makes it not very attractive for an FFL to actually make high quality AKs. They can't really compete with home builders and parts kits.

    I have daydreamed of founding an AK gunsmithing company, but the capital that would be required to start that up would be pretty massive. Certainly nothing I could do myself.
    Actually the assembly of AK's is labor intensive.
    Drilling, pressing and fitting parts.

    By example., an AR15 is a much easier and less tool reliant to assemble.

  8. #37
    Senior Member

    Member #
    63995
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    148
    Liked
    26 times
    Maybe once the AR craze dies down, a bunch of companies will tool up for AKs? I hope so.

  9. #38
    Senior Member

    Member #
    62737
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    628
    Liked
    338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekanak47 View Post
    I always try to find a surface on the part that has not been touched by a machine and look at or feel it. Cast parts have that rough, straight from the foundry, surface. You can take a cast part and machine away all the telltale surfaces which makes it difficult to distinguish what process was used to create it. Sometimes a hardness test will let you know. I think the biggest problem we have is correct metallurgy. I’ve heard all kinds of stories about combloc trunnions being cast but who knows? All we need here is some quality bolts and trunnions because we are pretty close with all the quality parts that are made here. PSA is all we have right now but I will never pay that price for one.
    PSA is like 589 for their AK variant right?

    I won't buy it either but not because of its price. I'm just not a fan of American firearms outside of the M16 and its offspring. I'm pretty sure the only American made pistol I have is a Shield 9mm, and I've never fired it or carried it (obviously) lmao. Nothing against American products or anything like that, they just aren't my cup of tea. I prefer European, same with my cars, unless it's a truck or American classic.
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-26-2019 at 06:14 AM.

  10. #39
    Senior Member

    Member #
    62197
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    2nd Most Violent City In The State
    Posts
    425
    Liked
    210 times
    I think $589 is for one of the blemish batch that comes up every now and then. Still no cleaning rod and if you get a stuck case, you’re done. I just checked their site to compare prices but I can’t because all models are out of stock.
    Big thanks to Moses1986, 10Gauge, Pookie, NFA ARMS, Duck Durbin and everyone that served this country.

  11. #40
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    45393
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,700
    Liked
    2090 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    By example., an AR15 is a much easier and less tool reliant to assemble.
    I got one going right now and it's still kicking my ass.



  12. #41
    Technical Advisor

    Member #
    2371
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    14,806
    Liked
    3446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeZulu View Post
    I got one going right now and it's still kicking my ass.
    AR15 generally easy assembly.
    Minimal tools and probably the only tedious part is the little springs and dinky plunger pins for the take down pin retainers.
    What are you having problems with?

    Relating to this discussion the AR is a more complex parts manufacturing design.
    But a much easier assembly and modular parts replacement.
    A barrel replacement is reasonably quick and simple.
    Drop- in uppers and multiple calibers on the same lower etc.

  13. #42
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    45393
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,700
    Liked
    2090 times
    I'm just kinda chipping away at it and picking up the tooling as I go. I need a couple more jigs and I'll pretty much have everything I should ever need. It's just slow-going and my time is limited.



  14. #43
    Technical Advisor

    Member #
    2371
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    14,806
    Liked
    3446 times
    What tooling are you purchasing for an AR assembling project?
    Not really much in the tool department needed?
    Are you doing an 80% receiver?

  15. #44
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    45393
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,700
    Liked
    2090 times
    Off the top of my head a lot of Wheeler stuff. I just ordered a Brownell's sight block jig to free up a DD barrel. Going 100% lower so not technically a "scratch build" I guess.

    I'm actually overseeing the wife do all this work because in the end it will be her rifle. I'm assisting heavily but making her figure it all out and doing the physical work herself. We've hit a couple snags but we're getting there.



  16. #45
    Senior Member

    Member #
    30157
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Everywhere.
    Posts
    856
    Liked
    600 times
    Damn, wheeler stuff? Shit, I got the tapco wrench, amazon receiver blocks, harbor freight torque wrench and adapter, 2 punch sets, and some microfiber for about $100. Front sight jig is the expensive bit, though I just get the barrel assemblies and skip that step entirely.

    Not against a quality build put together on quality tools.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 08-26-2019 at 10:49 PM.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.