Thread: Palmetto State Armory Making a USA Built AKM - PSAK-47 MOE Edition

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Looks like PSA was serious about selling parts - check it out:

AK-47

Barreled Receiver

Intro Build Kit - No Furniture
    "The badge of rank an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men." GEN Maxwell Taylor

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2559 times
    I have been watching. I'm fascinated by that piston. Makes me want to buy one just so I can feel it.

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I have been watching. I'm fascinated by that piston. Makes me want to buy one just so I can feel it.
    "The badge of rank an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men." GEN Maxwell Taylor

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1392 times
    Looks like a nitrided piston. I guess maybe it's cheaper and more corrosion resistant than the alternatives.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8457 times
    Seen those barreled/receivered assemblys a their site. Though it was cool of them to have options.

Levaithan and I was talking about the torture test in PMs and came up with something that sounded great...on paper. I was gonna buy one of these AKs and ship it around to other members to put rounds through. Figure each members puts 1000 rounds through it and we will see when or if it breaks. I realize that in the end I would end up with a shot out rifle but I really wasn't concerned with that. I wanted to see how this PSA AK would hold up. Well, the problem is the ATF paperwork on passing it around and the cost. The paperwork would require a BG check and certain questions on the paperwork would be a out right lie when one takes delivery of it. The cost is (from what I found) around $750. If the rifle was closer to $600 then I'd be all over it. So, it sounded good and I was actually excited until we came to reality.

So, if any members out there buys one of these, please do a torture/range report.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    gay American flag
    Well there is one thing that is wrong with this fucked up country.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2559 times
    Quote Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
    Really, that's what you have to contribute to this thread?
    22many likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8170 times
    You are missing the point and misreading his statement. It's not the American flag that's gay it's the fact that they stick it on the AK. The GSG rebel AK is just as gay. Etch "Rebel" into it and tie a bandana around it! G A Y!! A tacky way to sell a substandard rifle by playing on peoples patriotic feelings. Also it's not something that sells AKs. Build it properly, don't add cheesy lame engravings

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    22many likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2559 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    Seen those barreled/receivered assemblys a their site. Though it was cool of them to have options.

Levaithan and I was talking about the torture test in PMs and came up with something that sounded great...on paper. I was gonna buy one of these AKs and ship it around to other members to put rounds through. Figure each members puts 1000 rounds through it and we will see when or if it breaks. I realize that in the end I would end up with a shot out rifle but I really wasn't concerned with that. I wanted to see how this PSA AK would hold up. Well, the problem is the ATF paperwork on passing it around and the cost. The paperwork would require a BG check and certain questions on the paperwork would be a out right lie when one takes delivery of it. The cost is (from what I found) around $750. If the rifle was closer to $600 then I'd be all over it. So, it sounded good and I was actually excited until we came to reality.

So, if any members out there buys one of these, please do a torture/range report.
    I spoke to my buddy who is the inspector we spoke about. He couldn't believe anyone would be using a nitrided barrel. He's pretty interested in what we were talking about and to see how the barrel would look in a mpi at 10k rounds. I think the killer is the ammo costs. There isn't a way to pass it around but even if you or I bought one, the hard part would be ammo. Basically 2500 dollars to really do want we wanted. Cost prohibitive to say the least.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8457 times
    Apparently you took my wording wrong. However, I didn't take yours wrong....

Please try to stay on topic.

I spoke to my buddy who is the inspector we spoke about. He couldn't believe anyone would be using a nitrided barrel. He's pretty interested in what we were talking about and to see how the barrel would look in a mpi at 10k rounds. I think the killer is the ammo costs. There isn't a way to pass it around but even if you or I bought one, the hard part would be ammo. Basically 2500 dollars to really do want we wanted. Cost prohibitive to say the least.
    Thats the killer. The ammo bill. The days of a 1000 round for under $100 is long gone. Oh well, we tried.

Member #
    Liked
    1392 times
    Is he doubting the nitride coating would be beneficial? I was impressed that they used 4150 as opposed to 4140 for the barrel. It should get some pretty good life depending on how much the nitride actually helps. Perhaps instead of passing the rifle around, we could get members to donate ammo or funds for the testing along with how they would like their ammo to be used for the testing? Or probably it would be best to keep a more scientific method for the testing. Establish a baseline for performance and then change one variable at a time to get some useful results.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2559 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral_Malice View Post
    Is he doubting the nitride coating would be beneficial? I was impressed that they used 4150 as opposed to 4140 for the barrel. It should get some pretty good life depending on how much the nitride actually helps. Perhaps instead of passing the rifle around, we could get members to donate ammo or funds for the testing along with how they would like their ammo to be used for the testing? Or probably it would be best to keep a more scientific method for the testing. Establish a baseline for performance and then change one variable at a time to get some useful results.
    He was more concerned about the potential for cracking. Much like I have been, which is really what I am interested to see. A lot of people have claimed to fired a lot of rounds out of nitrided barrels but I have never seen any documentation. Moreover, I have seen little for accuracy reports in the long term and I dont think anyone has magnetic particle inspected a nitrided barrel at high round counts. Personally I would like to do it for the pure science in it and to see if the PSA ak could take the punishment and live.

I had thrown the idea of creating a go fund me and seeing if members would contribute. It interests me even now to try and do this. What we discussed was upon opening the box, two five round groups would be fired to establish accuracy. 1000 rounds would be fired and then another 5 round group for accuracy. This would be repeated until 10,000 rounds were fired plus the accuracy checks. Each target being documented and photographed for the final findings. Upon completion of the final accuracy test the rifle would be stripped of any finish on the barrel, front trunnion and receiver. It would then be disassembled and magnetic particle inspected. Any findings during that inspection would be photographed for the final findings. The only thing I would want to do but don't have the access to the tools to do would be looking at the internal of the barrel via a borescope. Then again it could be depopulated and cut. Id say that would be scientific enough to really see what a nitrided barrel and the PSA ak is made of. The only thing I hadnt brought up or discussed was cleaning. Perhaps cleaning the barrel at the end of every accuracy cycle or just before it would be best to give the barrel a fair chance. Or not at all. Also the bolt carrier and bolt should be MPIed as well. Im assuming everything on these is US made, so the more the better.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 06-12-2015 at 11:12 AM.
    mojo100 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    The receiver really needs to have "I" and "Y" stamps - are they open to suggestions like that?
    It was pity stayed his hand. `Pity I don't have any more bullets,' thought Frito.
    -- Harvard Lampoon, "Bored of the Rings"

Member #
    Liked
    1392 times
    He was more concerned about the potential for cracking. Much like I have been, which is really what I am interested to see. A lot of people have claimed to fired a lot of rounds out of nitrided barrels but I have never seen any documentation. Moreover, I have seen little for accuracy reports in the long term and I dont think anyone has magnetic particle inspected a nitrided barrel at high round counts. Personally I would like to do it for the pure science in it and to see if the PSA ak could take the punishment and live.

I had thrown the idea of creating a go fund me and seeing if members would contribute. It interests me even now to try and do this. What we discussed was upon opening the box, two five round groups would be fired to establish accuracy. 1000 rounds would be fired and then another 5 round group for accuracy. This would be repeated until 10,000 rounds were fired plus the accuracy checks. Each target being documented and photographed for the final findings. Upon completion of the final accuracy test the rifle would be stripped of any finish on the barrel, front trunnion and receiver. It would then be disassembled and magnetic particle inspected. Any findings during that inspection would be photographed for the final findings. The only thing I would want to do but don't have the access to the tools to do would be looking at the internal of the barrel via a borescope. Then again it could be depopulated and cut. Id say that would be scientific enough to really see what a nitrided barrel and the PSA ak is made of. The only thing I hadnt brought up or discussed was cleaning. Perhaps cleaning the barrel at the end of every accuracy cycle or just before it would be best to give the barrel a fair chance. Or not at all. Also the bolt carrier and bolt should be MPIed as well. Im assuming everything on these is US made, so the more the better.
    Yeah, I can see that concern. The harder something is, the more likely it will crack under it's rated stress load. I definitely like the testing idea. I would like to see the 5 shot groups cold and then maybe a hundred rounds, then another few 5 round groups through just to see what kind of shift of POI there would be and reduced accuracy. I'd like to toss the idea back out of letting it cool completely after every maybe 500 rounds. Perhaps even keep an ice chest full of freezer gel packs and once the rifle cools, put them on the stress areas like the front trunnion and get them nice and cold before shooting again. It'll add more extreme duress to the steel. I would say clean it normally after each session. We all know AK's can fire with lots of carbon build up, so there's no reason to really worry about that part in my opinion.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2559 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalliste View Post
    The receiver really needs to have "I" and "Y" stamps - are they open to suggestions like that?
    Most US made receivers do not have them. Until a couple of years ago none did. The first that I saw were 74u llc's receivers. Then the Polish blanks came in and now we see it progress a little. Im not really sure if companies are afraid that it will cause them some liability if someone decides to drill in the I and Y stamp. Honestly, it aint that easy anyways so what does it matter, thats just my opinion though. End of the day ATF is going to have final say.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors