Century c39 everything US made? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Century c39 everything US made?

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I looked over the IO inc, US made kits very closely. Everything is a casting, including the bolt carrier. Interestingly enough it looks like a traditional carrier- while I've never seen the US made C93 carrier, I would assume its a casting too. The slots are probably part of the casting process, or rather a result of making the finished casting easier to machine. That part would be a huge PITA to machine from a single piece of billet, and the investment to make a forging die is probably comparable to having castings made, although the castings are much closer to finished when they pop out than a forging would be. From an economic stand point the casting makes sense. If it work as well, and for as long as a traditional bolt carrier remains to be seen.
    Hootbro likes this.
    "They are not matching kits but then who can read Arabic writing anyway." -APEX

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    And risk catching Ebola???
    that's going to be the next ak chambering, I think.

Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    who frigging cares...... I'm happy there are options.
    Hootbro, elmoreoocyte and trbodav like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3314 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pinakar View Post
    Milled receivers are easier, quicker, and more forgiving to assemble.
    All they had to do is perfect the machining process on the receivers. Get the
    critical dimensions correct and start mass producing. After that it's almost
    impossible to fuck up the build.
    There are a lot more steps involved in building a stamped receiver. ( many more chances to screw up )

now if we could just get them to omit the lightning cuts and sell the receivers alone.
    That way we could make the cuts and model them after whatever countries receiver we wanted.
    I'd buy a crate if them for say. $75-100 each.

Good luck getting $75-$100 milled receivers. The standard price in the US is $350-$450. That might come down some in the future dunno., but.,?
    The only less expensive ones I have purchased were some of the Wiselite M76 seconds or early generation at $175_$200 or an ORF for $200. The Former ORF then AWO M70 and M64 receivers from $65 to $200 each depending on the time and type etc..

Quite a bit of time and high dollar milling machinery into making milled receivers. I agree on less assembly time though.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I sure do miss those ORF Yugo receivers. Whether or not they'll last 10k rds in my builds is probably irrelevant and, at the very least, they LOOK right.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3314 times
    Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post
    I sure do miss those ORF Yugo receivers. Whether or not they'll last 10k rds in my builds is probably irrelevant and, at the very least, they LOOK right.
    Yep., I purchased a number of the ORF/AWO milled receivers and the AKBuilder and other barreled and non-barreled earlier milled kits that were $80-$160.
    The receivers had/have a few quirks depending on the generation/run but they build up nice. I had two of them hardness tested (one each M76 & M70)at a local machine shop and they compared the same as a milled stub I supplied as comparison. Not total proof for every receiver they sold but good enough for my purposes.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Machine time vs hand labor. A good CNC will turn out a very consistent receiver every time, provided a minimum of effort is put in by the operator. When it comes to hand building a receiver flat into a rifle, its depends a lot on the individual. If Boris is having a bad day, you may end up with a banana shaped receiver. So long as Boris is getting paid @ Romanian rates, he can turn out a few vodka specials every now and then without it being a problem (century can eat the relatively small loss or simply push out a known lower quality product). If you tried to pay Boris an American wage, he would have to be perfect every time- one rifle return wrecks the profit on that gun and then maybe a bad review ends up on hurting future sales. By the time it's made right, the manufacturer has likely lost money on that rifle. A big company like Century can afford to take the hit. Smaller companies operating entirely in the US can't fair nearly as well. But right now there are not nearly the variety of milled kits as there are stamped, and milled receivers are uncommon& expensive compared to stamped, and require a much larger infrastructure to make. US manufacturers will just have to keep getting it right, or go extinct.

edit to add: I'm sure those ORF receivers which were sold for 65$ were basically a fire sale. 65$ for a milled receiver means you are selling it at a loss.
    Last edited by jk-47; 11-01-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    "They are not matching kits but then who can read Arabic writing anyway." -APEX

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I never thought I'd say this but with a mass-produced, inexpensive and rugged rifle in the AK series, why should any of us pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars? The things only cost $50 or so to make and they are not a rare rifle in the world.

I'm about to switch teams because that old nemesis the AR is becoming an inexpensive weapon, save for the ammunition.
    Last edited by Harquebus; 11-01-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    How much for a Kalashnikov?

Interesting article. Guess they're worth more in certain areas based on their particular host-nation economics (but these are real, select-fire AK's). Cheaper in Africa though, as surmised.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8425 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
    I'm about to switch teams because that old nemesis the AR is becoming an inexpensive weapon, save for the ammunition.
    Ahh yes. You could switch but you would be lumped into the lego and barbie boys assembling their ARs and over accessorizing them. Right now ARs are cheaper to build and about the same price to shoot. Maybe a couple dollars more but its only one mass shooting away until that changes.Dont get my wrong, i like my ARs. But i like my AKs alot more.

If your solely a shooter, keep both and shoot the cheaper one when permitted.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Century c39 everything US made?

My father was a machinist as was his father. I am not half. Bad myself and I am
    Old . I looked over the newer CAI builds and the C39. Build quality is very good. One test I do is paint parts with this old school method using Persian blue. The wear spots it removes the blue Color. Both a c39 and yugo under folder did well. Better than my Rock River did btw.

Sure the c39 is american produced and it's not "authentic " guess what? With the regs for added USA parts and selective fire is not an option none are authentic. So some fall through the cracks in assembly. Sure they do. I had to wait two months of the riding season for my $$ motorcycle to have its wiring harness that was not properly grounded replaced. It happens

The AR15 is a fun rifle to play if
    But having once had my share
    Of "fun " with old A1, if SHTF I grab the AK. Watch this when you think about the AR. Then talk to us old guys.

Last edited by Happypuppy; 11-01-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have one on the way and am getting concerned about my purchase. Your post was in Oct. Did you get it back from repair yet? What is going on with your weapon now. How did Century do on your repair and how long did it take? Just wondering if this is a common problem with the BCG? This is my first AK and I am already wondering if it was a mistake?

Member #
    Liked
    1499 times
    Don't worry.... shoot it and it will run fine. My shop sold its 20th c39 and not one unhappy customer. I ended up buying fleets and fleets of cleaning kits and rods because alot wanted it. My shop made mode money selling accessories than anything else. Number one item I tell them to get is the ultimak and a good red dot. Some go scout scope also but at the end of the day. This ak is not for the collector, it is for the shooter.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pinakar View Post
    Milled receivers are easier, quicker, and more forgiving to assemble.
    All they had to do is perfect the machining process on the receivers. Get the
    critical dimensions correct and start mass producing. After that it's almost
    impossible to fuck up the build.
    There are a lot more steps involved in building a stamped receiver. ( many more chances to screw up )

now if we could just get them to omit the lightning cuts and sell the receivers alone.
    That way we could make the cuts and model them after whatever countries receiver we wanted.
    I'd buy a crate if them for say. $75-100 each.
    If Century was drop forging and machining milled receivers like the Soviets did then back in the 1950's, they would cost you about $2K a piece just n labor alone, lol.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    Yep. Century has turned out a couple nice firearms. They may not be collectables but all the century firearms ive owned have been mix masters that have been 100% realable. For what the company is, a firearms company designed on shooting not collecting, they have accomplished that. Without century we wouldnt have nearly the amount of imports or US built firearms that we have.

As far as their US AK, it will appeal to shooters and sell mostly to shooters.
    I agree. Get on the CenturianC39 FB page. Lots of guys love their C39s and Century did fixes on the v1s even after the warranty was up. Most have not had any problems out of the V2s and tetify that issues on the v1 have been corrected. As for not having a bayonet or cleaning rod. I don't care. I don't plan bayoneting anyone and I have lots of cleaning rods. Not everyone has to be a purist. These guns shoot and shoot well and that is what I want to do with it. I don't need the gun to tell combat stories. Been there done that just want to shoot for fun now not look at appendages that just add weight and get in the way. Why do people bash what they don't have. Let people shoot what they want.
    Last edited by paddling camper; 04-29-2015 at 07:34 AM.
    elmoreoocyte and Tantal like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors