"CAV15 vs AK74" Dirt Test Video
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

"CAV15 vs AK74" Dirt Test Video

This was posted by someone on the AR15 board in the AK section and I really thought it would be interesting to post it here for discussion purposes.

Even though it is stated that they "wanted to use the same kind of ammunition" I find it interesting that a SAR-3 was chosen to make the comparison.

I've got to get back to work but I will post more thoughts later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    A SAR-3? Cmon now. THIS is an AK-74, by our very own Templar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QbZWg4lRkg

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So throwing dirt on an a gun is a reliability test? It already has the mag and chamber closed how is dirt even going to get in there? Seems like a shitty way to test a weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by eightbore
    perhaps it is best to recruit new members of our "club" by not appearing to be a bunch of backward hicks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Wow, you mean if you dump rocks and dirt into the FCG it has issues? Who would have thought?

pop the rear takedown pin and put dirt in the AR's FCG and see what happens.
    If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    It has to be the fact that they didn't use Weiger mags.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

"Fighting in the rain sucks!"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ondoggy
    Wow, you mean if you dump rocks and dirt into the FCG it has issues? Who would have thought?

pop the rear takedown pin and put dirt in the AR's FCG and see what happens.

Exactly what I would have suggested to the "testkings"....wow. :roll:

someone obviously has some small ax to grind with this reliability test.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    When I become King, I will snap my fingers and instantly transport him to the sandbox so he can continue his testing in the best of enviroments.

I usually don't let those types get to me, but for some reason he was ringing my bell.
    I would rather be the hammer than the anvil.- Erwin Rommel

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am just going to copy and paste what I wrote about this video on AR15.com. The AK guys here and there seem to have gotten their ego's smashed by this video....

(Please note there is 4 pages of whining and crying about this over an AR15.com. So some of the things I said may not have been said here yet)

The particular malfunction this rifle suffered would have been the same regardless of gun origin or caliber. The receiver filled with sand/dirt keeping the trigger from working.

People telling the guy to open up the AR and pour sand into it are stupid. Guys cried because the dust cover was closed on his first AR video...now it is opened. Why should the AK get special treatment? I'm sorry that the AK had horrible malfunctions and the AR didn't. Shit happens. The design of the AR is much better suited for a test like this. It is very hard for the dirt to make it to the FCG. While the AK has a large opening right there.

I understand the SAR is not the best AK out, but even the best AK would have suffered the same fate. The FCG was blocked...all AK's would be susceptible to this.

I love both platforms and the AK will run longer with no cleaning, but apparently if you bury it in dirt it could stop working. The AR will malfunction faster if you don't clean it long before the AK, but it is sealed up a little better and in this particular test did better.

IMO you are comparing apples to apples here. The ammo used was the same and his CMMG AR is NOT top of the line. It is not bottom of the barrel either but it is not king of the hill by any means. A lot of people say they have very tight chambers and you can't use steel cased ammo with them. The SAR isn't top of the line either, but like the guy in the video said...it was 100% before it was buried.

Once again...I shoot both and really like both. I just get tired of AK guys spouting off about how unreliable ar15's are. They are a well designed rifle that is much more reliable than they are given credit for.

I am tempted to make a video myself. I will have to buy some sand and some sort of container to put it in. I may just find loose dirt somewhere and do that. I will be comparing a 700$ home built 16'' mid-length RRA AR15 to a 600$ In-Range built Bulgarian ak74 with a Nodak receiver. Is that "military grade" enough for all of you? Or is my Bulgarian parts kit a POS because it was assembled by a great builder on a US receiver? Any requests? Maybe I should lock the bolt back on the AR and fill the entire gun full of dirt and I will make sure the dust cover is closed on the AK. :roll:

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    It wasn't the test results that bothered me, we all know what dirt poured into a fcg will get you, even hadji doesn't do that for pete's sake. I just don't get the guys always trying to prove this or that... Both platforms been here plenty long enough for "nothing new under the sun" to apply.
    I would rather be the hammer than the anvil.- Erwin Rommel

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks for calling me stupid sickmak90, I truly appreciate that. I just don't think that pouring dirt inside of a mechanical device and watching it fail is going to give anyone an epiphany.

The next time I'm in a situation where I find myself shoveling dirt onto my firearm, I'll be sure to bring an AR.
    If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    lol, if the AK performed better, nobody would be crying about the test.

Wonder what upper he used? Does CAV make their own uppers?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Its a CMMG upper.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    282 times
    oh man. my head is exploding, and i am whining.
    surely this video proves it all. after 60+ years of my shitty Russian weapon in action around the world i finally see it clear. m-16 is more reliable that my crummy peasant weapon.
    what a twist huh?

:lol:

and what a test that was huh? showed me!

first thing manana i am gonna sell ALL my junky AKs and march to my local gunshop and buy as many m-16 as I can.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't really care what some test on the Intardnet says, the AK could have exploded in his face and killed a puppy on the line and I would still prefer my AK-47/74s to my ARs. Which is really all that counts in our civilian world I think.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No one ever claimed the AR15 was more reliable than the AK47. They can both fail, and they do. What I like about this video is it proves AR's aren't as unreliable as people in ak47 forums make them out to be. Most people here swear up and down the AR will explode and kill an entire village if 1 grain of sand makes it into the gun. Yes, the AK does do better in most cases. But having a large slot in the side of the gun near the FCG is not a good thing. As this video shows dirt can cause the FCG to stop working, with no FCG you have a fancy club.

This test stirred up so much hate from the AK47 side. The guy who made the video never said AR's were more reliable and that AK47's sucked. We have been having this debate for decades....why can't we all just get along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors