Compare Type III bolt carrier to AKM carrier
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Compare Type III bolt carrier to AKM carrier

Could someone either point to a place that has this comparsion or post a pick of the 2 and give some details. The reason I ask is because my type iii milled receiver is made to a hungaraion kit and someone pointed out that it had an akm bolt. I have never seen a type III bolt carrier to know if it what I have

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Im curious of the differences also.
    anyone got pics???
    AK Forum Member #1503

Member #
    Liked
    2058 times
    A good question like this will just get lost here in the General Discussion forum.

I took a photo to illustrate what I consider the "classic" differences between the Type 3 AK-47 bolt and carrier and an AKM type. The AK-47 parts (at the top) are Hungarian and the AKM (AIM) is Romanian. I'm generalizing a bit, and these differences don't hold true for oddballs like Yugos and ChiCom.

On the carrier, besides minor contour differences on the bottom, there is an obvious lightening "step" milled into the right side of the AKM part. The handle is slimmed down, too. Also, the AKM's bolt carrier body will usually be finished with black oxide(hot bluing), park, and/or paint while the AK-47's is left in-the-white. The gas piston is hard-chromed on both the AK-47 and the AKM.

You'll often see "PLO" and other well-used AK-47 kits with refinished parts, where everything was thrown into the tank, and the bluing gives the carriers a plum hue because of the high nickle content of the steel.

With the bolts, the stem of the AKM bolt is fluted in another measure to help reduce weight, and the bolt is finished rather than left in-the-white. The classic AK-47 firing pin is round and fluted, while the AKM FP is a simplified, flat type.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2006 times
    Keep in mind that early AKMs used T3 bolts and carriers that were just finished the same as the rest of the gun..... Some countries never bothered to update.

Member #
    Liked
    2058 times
    Yes, there were certainly many exceptions and overlaps.

As I said, I'm generalizing to show the "classic" differences.

Rob brings up a point I forgot to mention: the carriers and bolts of AK-47's and AKM's are completely interchangeable.

KVL

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W.
    A good question like this will just get lost here in the General Discussion forum.

I took a photo to illustrate what I consider the "classic" differences between the Type 3 AK-47 bolt and carrier and an AKM type. The AK-47 parts (at the top) are Hungarian and the AKM (AIM) is Romanian. I'm generalizing a bit, and these differences don't hold true for oddballs like Yugos and ChiCom.

On the carrier, besides minor contour differences on the bottom, there is an obvious lightening "step" milled into the right side of the AKM part. The handle is slimmed down, too. Also, the AKM's bolt carrier body will usually be finished with black oxide(hot bluing), park, and/or paint while the AK-47's is left in-the-white. The gas piston is hard-chromed on both the AK-47 and the AKM.

You'll often see "PLO" and other well-used AK-47 kits with refinished parts, where everything was thrown into the tank, and the bluing gives the carriers a plum hue because of the high nickle content of the steel.

With the bolts, the stem of the AKM bolt is fluted in another measure to help reduce weight, and the bolt is finished rather than left in-the-white. The classic AK-47 firing pin is round and fluted, while the AKM FP is a simplified, flat type.

Could you please tell me more about the oddballs? Also, I was wondering if the North Korean TYpe 68 uses the AKM bolt and carrier or the Type 3 AK-47.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KVL

Could you please tell me more about the oddballs? Also, I was wondering if the North Korean TYpe 68 uses the AKM bolt and carrier or the Type 3 AK-47.
    Not sure about North Korean, but all of my Hungarian AKM's have TIII bolts and carriers.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That answers my question as to why the firing pin on my Yugo m64 is round and my M70 is flat.
    TheAKFORUM Member #590

Member #
    Liked
    2058 times
    Obviously, the fluted firing pin requires more separate machining operations than a flat one, so they ditched it to help simplify production.

Those fluted firing pins sure seem like they should be "better" than the flat type, somehow, but I can't recall hearing of any problems with either type.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W.
    Obviously, the fluted firing pin requires more separate machining operations than a flat one, so they ditched it to help simplify production.

Those fluted firing pins sure seem like they should be "better" than the flat type, somehow, but I can't recall hearing of any problems with either type.
    FWIW, the only firing ping I have EVER had problems with was a fluted pin out of a TIII Hungarian AK-47.

It takes more than one data point for a trend though.
    If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Member #
    TEXAS - we have counties bigger than your state.
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ondoggy
    FWIW, the only firing ping I have EVER had problems with was a fluted pin out of a TIII Hungarian AK-47.

It takes more than one data point for a trend though.

Yep, if you run across a fluted pin that's bent you can forget about ever gettin' it perfectly straight again. Aggravatin' I tell ya.

t
    This ain't Delaware.

KVL

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Could anyone tell me which AKMs have the AKM bolt and carrier, and which ones have the AK-47 ones?

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hers' a few pics of North Korean Type 68 bolt and carrier. Who loves you KVL?

--------------------------
    Shoot straight and speak the truth.

KVL

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM
    Hers' a few pics of North Korean Type 68 bolt and carrier. Who loves you KVL?

Thanks. So it looks as if the Type 68 uses the AKM carrier and bolt?

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Thanks. So it looks as if the Type 68 uses the AKM carrier and bolt?
    Nope, TIII. The differences are subtle, and they are interchangeable with one another (headspacing issues aside).

The dead giveway is the lightening cut on the left hand side at the rear on the AKM carrier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors