So...Khyber Pass Rifles...

Member #
    Liked
    16779 times

So...Khyber Pass Rifles...

So what exactly makes a KP build? Mishmash of parts + a triangle folder?

the way I've seen em it can be either 7.62 or 5.45..

Like I need a new project but as ole Jack Burton always says... "what the hell.."
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As far as I can tell, Its a 47 with a Triangle folder. If it was in 5.45 wouldn't it just be a sidefolding 74?
    "Man I hope its not a fucking samsquanch, I hate those fucking bastards"- Bubbles

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    This topic has been discussed at length with a lot of input from lots of folks - just go to the "Russian" section as there's several topics. Here's a good one:

http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37551

Essentially there's a couple schools of thought that are both right about the "Khyber Pass" style rifle in 7.62mm. The first is they may be of the variant used by some Ukranian forces. There are photos floating around of them in service there. The other idea is that they're cobbled-together AKM's with the AKS-74 folding buttstock done by Afghan/Pakistani gunsmiths. More than likely they're the latter but there's nothing to say there aren't actual Ukranian variants in Afghanistan - if you can think of it, it's been smuggled-in to the country at one time or another.

There was a really good thread on Pakistani gunsmiths showing numerous photos of dead-on copies of weapons they've done from SPAS-12 shotguns to old-school Martini-Henry rifles. You could probably find it on the internet through a seach, as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16779 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rayman1
    This topic has been discussed at length with a lot of input from lots of folks - just go to the "Russian" section as there's several topics. Here's a good one:

http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37551

Essentially there's a couple schools of thought that are both right about the "Khyber Pass" style rifle in 7.62mm. The first is they may be of the variant used by some Ukranian forces. There are photos floating around of them in service there. The other idea is that they're cobbled-together AKM's with the AKS-74 folding buttstock done by Afghan/Pakistani gunsmiths. More than likely they're the latter but there's nothing to say there aren't actual Ukranian variants in Afghanistan - if you can think of it, it's been smuggled-in to the country at one time or another.

There was a really good thread on Pakistani gunsmiths showing numerous photos of dead-on copies of weapons they've done from SPAS-12 shotguns to old-school Martini-Henry rifles. You could probably find it on the internet through a seach, as well.
    I dont venture forth into those sections.. I just had my somewhat educated guess ops:

I googled and searched and did see a nice spot about those Martini rifles and other weaponry... but those aren't something I can get my mitts on...nor do I really want to.. they can be kinda scary

Guess my Krazy Ass Khyber Pass rifle project can go forward...
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Go forth and do great things regarding your build. I'm sure all of us would look forward to seeing it when it's done. Seems to big kind of the new fad to build one.

Not to "cross wires" into another forum/board but here's one offered by one of the many builders that's ready to go - just needs some wood furniture:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 2&t=488948

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Here's my brand new answer to this...

7.62x39 AK with a side folder.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

WTB: Type 1 buttstock

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    LOL. I guess this is the along the lines of "Krinkov" as per the termanology, and orgin of.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aurang
    Here's my brand new answer to this...

7.62x39 AK with a side folder.
    That's my idea of it also.
    YAT YAS!

Member #
    Liked
    16779 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rayman1
    Go forth and do great things regarding your build. I'm sure all of us would look forward to seeing it when it's done. Seems to big kind of the new fad to build one.

Not to "cross wires" into another forum/board but here's one offered by one of the many builders that's ready to go - just needs some wood furniture:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 2&t=488948
    Where's the fun in that? Buying a pre-built...

My idea was to scrape together parts from all different countries... kinda like you'd probably find at the Khyber Pass. I'd have to think about how best to piece it together to get as many different countries represented on one rifle.

I'd have to cheat a little cause of the 922r thing.. chinese' double hook FCG.. Hmm.. wonder if NDS makes a heavy yugo RPK receiver that takes a side folder..

Sponsors