Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By evolixsurf

Thread: Rivet Question - New ZPAP

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Rivet Question - New ZPAP

Hi All,

I recently picked up the new Zpap with the bulged trunnion, 1.5mm receiver, and chrome lined barrel. It is a TANK and I love it thus far. Real pleasure to shoot.

Reading some forums has me concerned about one of the rear rivets. By eye, it does not look as flush with the receiver as all of the others. The other rivets look perfect. I can just barely slide a piece of paper underneath the rivet.

Is this cause for concern? Or is this rivet still within an acceptable spec?

Thank you in advance. Zpap1.jpgZpap2.jpgZpap3.jpg

I'm not sure if going through the pain of mailing this for fix under the warranty is justified. Otherwise the rifle is rock solid.

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    no, not really. looks like whoever built the rifle didn't dimple the hole before pressing the rivet. or used swell neck where regular mushroom must go on. it's important to examine the interior of those rivets and see how well those are squeezed on the inside.
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 06-30-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    no, not really. looks like whoever built the rifle didn't dimple the hole before pressing the rivet. or used swell neck where regular mushroom must go on. it's important to examine the interior of those rivets and see how well those are squeezed on the inside.
    Thanks for your response. To clarify, you are saying it is not cause for concern?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    i was giving response to your last questions, which was
    is this rivet still within an acceptable spec?
    it is not. If i had a warranty i would send it to fix this shit up right away. assuming you trust manufacturer to fix it. Is this from Atlantic or from Century?
    if from atlantic then by all means send it for repair. if from century then i would probably stick with it and not bother with century customer support. save yourself some grief and shipping cost.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    i was giving response to your last questions, which was
    it is not. If i had a warranty i would send it to fix this shit up right away. assuming you trust manufacturer to fix it. Is this from Atlantic or from Century?
    if from atlantic then by all means send it for repair. if from century then i would probably stick with it and not bother with century customer support. save yourself some grief and shipping cost.
    Ok thank you for the clarification. Fortunately Zastava now has a US based subsidiary, Zastava USA, to import their firearms. From what I have read, their customer service has been great. I will reach out to them and see if they will fix this under the warranty.

Member #
    Liked
    1148 times
    I personally would never risk sending my rifle out in the mail twice for something that will never cause you issues. Shoot it. The rivet looks fine.
    Richard W., daefash, colww and 1 others like this.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
    I personally would never risk sending my rifle out in the mail twice for something that will never cause you issues. Shoot it. The rivet looks fine.
    Thank you for the response. I too am nervous about mailing it. If this is just cosmetic I could care less.

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of mailing it and waiting for it weeks for a minor cosmetic imperfection

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daefash View Post
    I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of mailing it and waiting for it weeks for a minor cosmetic imperfection
    Thank you. Merely cosmetic is music to my ears. I suppose it would be more concerning if this was one of the front trunnion rivets?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Update:

Zastava USA was a pleasure to work with. They have assured me that the rivet is correctly seated. Fortunately it has a lifetime warranty so if anything goes wrong I will reach back out to them.

Highly recommend the rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I emailed Zastava about the same issue that I heard YouTuber AK47 operators Union comment on. I was told the issue with the rivets not being flush to the receiver was fixed.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    I agree, you should be fine.

But if it really bothers you, you can easily press the rivet until it's flush with the receiver (that's if you have the right tools). All you need is the dome forming tool that is used to form the dome head for the long rivet. You can use the tool to press it down till the rivet is flush with the receiver. I've use this method several times. See example photos below.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    That rivet is absolutely fine. If you can slide the paper all the way to the shank of the rivet it might be a bit of an issue, but you can barely get the paper past the rim of the head, it's fine.

Sponsors