They Say It Can't Be Done... US Made Bakelite Magazines

View Poll Results: Would you buy a US made bakelite magazine for an MSRP around $40?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd buy one.

15 26.32%
  • I'd buy many!

6 10.53%
  • I'd buy one or many, but only at a lower price.

12 21.05%
  • No.

24 42.11%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: They Say It Can't Be Done... US Made Bakelite Magazines

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

They Say It Can't Be Done... US Made Bakelite Magazines

Crossposting from AK Files, please only respond to this poll if you haven't over there...

Let's say that I was working to produce a US made 7.62x39 30 rd. magazine using the same material, dimensions, and processes as the original bakelite mags. The goal would be to have the three 922(r) parts US made (at a minimum, ideally the entire magazine would be US made), making it a viable option for OEMs/builders as well as shooters and collectors.

Assuming these would have the same legendary reliability and performance as the originals, is this something that you would buy at an MSRP around $40?

Also, for those of you who shoot in excess of 1000 rounds of 7.62 per month, would you be interested in testing of prototype designs?
    Owner - AK Collector's Source

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9082 times
    I’d buy at $40 a pop. Especially so if other colors were involved. Sure would be nice to see some plum magazines.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Id be interested....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3599 times
    20 rounders would separate me from my money
    scottyb, otus, Fiorentino and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1575 times
    Before you get all wound up, good rule of thumb on things like these gauging interest, is count on 50% of people saying they want one to drop out when it comes time to pony up the cash. Talk is cheap on the internet.
    Chosen_1, corpsman5 and Leviathan like this.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Member #
    Liked
    6488 times
    Do some Fourties.

7.62 and 5.45

And plum waffles.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    664 times
    Not a buyer, but interest to see where this goes.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
    Before you get all wound up, good rule of thumb on things like these gauging interest, is count on 50% of people saying they want one to drop out when it comes time to pony up the cash. Talk is cheap on the internet.
    ^^^^ Sadly, he's right!!

Member #
    Liked
    3599 times
    If im not mistaken, you can find OG russian bakes for not much more on facebook and reddit. At least with this audience, original is going to trump 922r compliant. If you are going through the trouble of making new bakelite, I think your best bet is to offer something you cant get anywhere else. Border guard green bakelite, bakelite hand guards that resemble the 74 prototypes, probably not practical but I think a bakelite krink handguards would look cool, and 20 rounders as I previously said.
    Last edited by wingnut308; 01-09-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    Hootbro, jrsuds and elmoreoocyte like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut308 View Post
    If im not mistaken, you can find OG russian bakes for not much more on facebook and reddit. At least with this audience, original is going to trump 922r compliant. If you are going through the trouble of making new bakelite, I think your best bet is to offer something you cant get anywhere else. Border guard green bakelite, bakelite hand guards that resemble the 74 prototypes, probably not practical but I think a bakelite krink handguards would look cool.
    Very good points. I do not think there is a long term business model here making clone bakelite mags. Maybe for the first year it would be good, but after the novelty wears off, most people will want the panache a real bakelite has and not a clone one.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4518 times
    Love to see people doing interesting things, but this might not be a great idea. Assuming it’s the original formula (made from formaldehyde and phenol), Bakelite is extremely toxic. Look it up, there are very good reasons it’s not manufactured anymore.

https://www.sunnyray.org/Toxic-plastics-bakelite.htm

But aside from the health issues, this isn’t going to be a valid business proposition, and I would reinforce the points some others have made. You learn from planning, but that does not mean the plan should come to fruition. Seek another path for your ambitions.
    Last edited by AZAK; 01-09-2020 at 08:23 AM.
    Hootbro, Moses1986 and corpsman5 like this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    Love to see people doing interesting things, but this might not be a great idea. Assuming it’s the original formula (made from formaldehyde and phenol), Bakelite is extremely toxic. Look it up, there are very good reasons it’s not manufactured anymore.

https://www.sunnyray.org/Toxic-plastics-bakelite.htm

But aside from the health issues, this isn’t going to be a valid business proposition, and I would reinforce the points some others have made. You learn from planning, but that does not mean the plan should come to fruition. Seek another path for your ambitions.
    What if I told you that the material is not actually "Bakelite", but rather a fairly standard fiberglass resin that is still produced today?

Owner - AK Collector's Source

Member #
    Liked
    3599 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_1 View Post
    What if I told you that the material is not actually "Bakelite", but rather a fairly standard fiberglass resin that is still produced today?
    Then you would be contradicting yourself. "using the same material, dimensions, and processes as the original bakelite mags"

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_1 View Post
    In that case the toxic aspects are moot, but I remain skeptical about making a business case for this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    1146 times
    I didnt know bakelite was made with formaldehide, asbestos, etc. I wonder if the "fiberglass" is actually asbestos...
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors