Help! Stuck cases in Bulgy build.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help! Stuck cases in Bulgy build.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Help! Stuck cases in Bulgy build.

I have a bulgy ak74 kit build that came with a non chrome lined US barrel. Shot it with old Wolf 69 grain 5.45 made in Ukraine.

Every thing worked fine until the rifle got hotter. Cases would get stuck and the extractor would rip the rim off. I had to use the cleaning rod in order to remove the case. Out of 180 rounds a total of 6 got stuck. Extractor looked fine, the cases got REALLY stuck in there.

Is this due to simply a lack of chrome in the chamber and excessive fouling? I don't ever recall having this issue with 7n6 but it's been 5 years since I've fired it. ( I have two tins but I don't want to bust them open unless shtf ).

Any suggestions? I'd rather not replace the barrel if it could still be used, but I can if need be. Lord knows the ak US parts market has grown. This rifle was made in 2009 and I was on a lowly E3 budget at the time.

If I have to buy laquer 5.45 I can since there's more choices out now, but please, let me kniw what you gents think.

Member #
    Liked
    1073 times
    Show us photos of the ammo. I had wolf once that was just sticking in the chamber. I cleaned the chamber out with the proper chamber brush and some good cleaner, used different ammo and all was good. that is really the first thing you need to try...
    scottyb likes this.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I'll post it tomorrow. The ammo is old school Wolf steel. No polymer coated or anything. Does have red colord neck sealing though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    It could be that the ammo is defective with weak casings that are expanding in the chamber and getting wedged. If you see excess bulging or deforming of the casing that is probably the cause. If it still happens with other ammo then it might be a defect in the chamber.
    sniper48 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
    Show us photos of the ammo. I had wolf once that was just sticking in the chamber. I cleaned the chamber out with the proper chamber brush and some good cleaner, used different ammo and all was good. that is really the first thing you need to try...
    yep, start with getting that chamber cleaned up, also while you’re there do a visual for any chamber defects gouges burrs etc.

Member #
    Liked
    8291 times
    Had this issue but with a original Bulgy barrel. Case stuck so bad needed to be sent to a gunsmith. There was no warning prior to. Everything worked fine until it didn't. Not ripping off rims or anything. Ammo was wolf gray case. Rounds fired weren't much, probably under 200.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8469 times
    We need more info on the rifle. Is it a waffen werks rifle? Who built it? How long have you owned it? Was corrosive ammo ever shot through it?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    It was this company.

http://www.wellcoarms.com/#2723

The barrel was not an original. It was a 4040 non chrome US made barrel that came with the kit. I had it built in 2009 -10. Can't remember exactly.

I have used 7n6 before but I don't recall any issue with it. The ammo used as Wolf Gray steel case Ukrainian 69 grain ammo with the red sealant.

These are the best I can take of the chamber. I cleaned it thoroughly. I have ordered some barnaul 60 mil spec 5.45. If it's the ammo that's great but it's a bit disheartening I would have to limit it to laquer cases. Regular steel case ammo is all over the place, would suck to limit it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by HumanSVD; 12-05-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    Clean out the cosmoline. Barrel chamber cut looks like it was done too fast. Again, clean out the cosmoline.
    Big thanks to Moses1986, 10Gauge, Pookie, NFA ARMS, Duck Durbin and everyone that served this country.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    It's been cleaned as best as I can. I'm starting to consider to just replace the barrel.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    That doesn't look like cosmoline, it looks like the lacquer sealer on the ammo.

I have seen the combo of tight cambering/dirty chamber, hot barrel and lacquer ammo cause this issue many times before.

If this is the problem the solution is to get all the lacquer cleaned off. I will give you a tip it doesn't want to come off. It will take chems, proper chamber brush and effort to get it removed. If this is in fact the problem moving to non-lacquered ammo can address it. Good news is a lot of ammo is polymer coated instead of lacquer now.

Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Yeah, thats filthy. Get that cleaned up and you should be fine.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    It’s dirty. But if the problem persists, polish the chamber. It’s only plain 4140.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I've cleaned it as best as I can and used Hoppe's foam spray. Powerful stuff and mopped the inside as best as possible. I'll just deal with it as best as a range toy only until I replace the barrel. Going to just buy a barrel next paycheck. Is nitrided better than chrome?

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanSVD View Post
    Is nitrided better than chrome?
    Impression I get from what I’ve heard and read is that nitrided for semi’s is as good, or close to as good as chrome. But if you would shoot a lot rapidly, like FA for example, then chrome lined is still a bit better. Might want to get others take on that too though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors