Like Tree18Likes

Thread: I bought a mill

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    640 times

I bought a mill

I bought this mill today that will finally let me start to build the 30 plus kits I have. Plus I am getting work from my old employer in Ca. It's A Lagun knee mill. I like these better then Bridgeport's and Taiwan copies. It weighs 600Lbs more and has 6 more inches travel in the X and Y. It came with clamp set, drill chucks, a 4" Criterion boring head, R8 collet set, 100 end mills, 20 reamers, and 20 center drills. I have to get a Kurt vice, DRO (Didital readout) and a Rotary table with a chuck.
    The ways still have the original way scrapings and no groove wear. You can also get all the replacement parts for them, even the oldest models from the late 60's.
    I paid $3000 for the mill and $500 to have it moved from Tucson to my garage about 80 miles north.

The rotary phase converter is 30 HP and more then enough power to run the lathe and mill at the same time.

This is the CNC lathe I finally got running a couple weeks ago.

I also need a good bench grinder and vice. I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight bench Grinder because I needed it for a Diamond wheel for carbide and deburr wheel for some parts I am working on. The dam Diamond wheel cost $150

I have been looking for deals and buying Cardibe insert tools and inserts for boring, threading part off. Also two ER16 and two ER32 collet sets with collet holders. Two places that have good quality tools and great prices are Shars tool Co and CME Tools. They both sell on Ebay or you can buy direct. I like buying on Ebay because I get a lot of free shipping.

Just finished making a small work bench from scrap wood from the building of my house and the one next door. The legs are 4"x 6" and most of the rest is 2" X 6" with some 2" X 4" supports. I have enough wood for another one and the are building 3 more houses on my street.

I also have 43 years worth of machinist / tool making tools plus I just got my dads machinist /Tool and Die tools that he started collecting in the 50's. The two tool boxes next to the roll away are Gershners. he black one on the left is leather covered from the 1930's and the natural wood is my dads from the 50's.

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    Very impressive. I can see a lot of amazing projects coming out of that garage. Congrats!

Member #
    Liked
    891 times
    That's a great find. In my area, anything that nice is like $5k. $3k usually gets you rust, worn out ways and nuts, and never a variable speed spindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6347 times
    Wow, me so jelly.

Congrats!
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    1917 times
    Lucky

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1142 times
    Congrats, very nice.

Member #
    Liked
    295 times
    Congratulations! Now I really feel like a knuckle dragger.
    Big thanks to Moses1986, 10Gauge, Pookie, NFA ARMS, Duck Durbin and all Honorable Members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Awesome! I have a project for you. PM inbound.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1377 times
    very nice! that mill looks like a good one. some of these mechanical phase converters have given way to the more modern VFD's, especially since they are more affordable now. get ready to get your wallet out on that Kurt vise. they're proud of them.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13432 times
    Nice! I would love to be able to run equipment like that and build a few things.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1111 times
    Wow! such nice finds/equipment! I can think of a perfect spot for them to be sitting..............
    Obstreperous likes this.
    "Never thought I'd say this, but that's a real nice pair you got there Jeff." - Fiorentino

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    640 times
    Thanks everyone
    I have bought a few support things for the machines. I did not buy a Kurt vice, I bought a Glacern Machine Tools vice which is a high end vice but your not paying for the name like Kurt vices. I also bought a rotary table with a 8" chuck on it to cut the extractor cuts on the SVD barrels I making. The last two big things I grabbed are a 4 independent jaw chuck for the lathe and a 24" Mititoyo height gauge. Next on the list is a granite surface plate. There is a nice one 6'x24"x36" dirt cheap near me but it weighs 600 lbs and I have to get it on a table. Probably get a engine hoist.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Coming along nicely over there Mark!

Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    Wow.
    So when exactly are you going to start taking orders?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    640 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    Wow.
    So when exactly are you going to start taking orders?
    I'm making barrels now. I have blanks on order for some SVD, AKM in 9x39 & 6.5 Grendel plus some specials. Plus demill of some Yugo M72B1 kits.
    Sunspot likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors