• 7 Post By Obstreperous

Thread: I bought a mill

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    546 times

I bought a mill

I bought this mill today that will finally let me start to build the 30 plus kits I have. Plus I am getting work from my old employer in Ca. It's A Lagun knee mill. I like these better then Bridgeport's and Taiwan copies. It weighs 600Lbs more and has 6 more inches travel in the X and Y. It came with clamp set, drill chucks, a 4" Criterion boring head, R8 collet set, 100 end mills, 20 reamers, and 20 center drills. I have to get a Kurt vice, DRO (Didital readout) and a Rotary table with a chuck.
    The ways still have the original way scrapings and no groove wear. You can also get all the replacement parts for them, even the oldest models from the late 60's.
    I paid $3000 for the mill and $500 to have it moved from Tucson to my garage about 80 miles north.

The rotary phase converter is 30 HP and more then enough power to run the lathe and mill at the same time.

This is the CNC lathe I finally got running a couple weeks ago.

I also need a good bench grinder and vice. I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight bench Grinder because I needed it for a Diamond wheel for carbide and deburr wheel for some parts I am working on. The dam Diamond wheel cost $150

I have been looking for deals and buying Cardibe insert tools and inserts for boring, threading part off. Also two ER16 and two ER32 collet sets with collet holders. Two places that have good quality tools and great prices are Shars tool Co and CME Tools. They both sell on Ebay or you can buy direct. I like buying on Ebay because I get a lot of free shipping.

Just finished making a small work bench from scrap wood from the building of my house and the one next door. The legs are 4"x 6" and most of the rest is 2" X 6" with some 2" X 4" supports. I have enough wood for another one and the are building 3 more houses on my street.

I also have 43 years worth of machinist / tool making tools plus I just got my dads machinist /Tool and Die tools that he started collecting in the 50's. The two tool boxes next to the roll away are Gershners. he black one on the left is leather covered from the 1930's and the natural wood is my dads from the 50's.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Very impressive. I can see a lot of amazing projects coming out of that garage. Congrats!

Member #
    Liked
    751 times
    That's a great find. In my area, anything that nice is like $5k. $3k usually gets you rust, worn out ways and nuts, and never a variable speed spindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5149 times
    Wow, me so jelly.

Congrats!
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    1611 times
    Lucky

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1050 times
    Congrats, very nice.

Member #
    Liked
    194 times
    Congratulations! Now I really feel like a knuckle dragger.
    Big thanks to Moses1986, 10Gauge, Pookie, NFA ARMS, Duck Durbin and everyone that served this country.

Sponsors