AK Rifles banner

"Scratch One flat Top"

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  trevorakm 
#1 ·
Just watched the new Midway movie, will have to say the first one was better. Thought the original had a better story line to it and maybe I fell asleep but I don't remember hearing or seeing the phrase "Scratch One flat Top" in the new movie. Was looking forwards to that phrase but maybe I missed it. Plus there is another scene in the movie that's going to make you go WTF!

#9 · (Edited)
My father was on the Lexington (until he had to jump over the side and swim for it). Both I and my brother are fortunate he was a good swimmer! There is a really good dissertation on the
Battle of the Coral Sea here:

Historians tend to view this battle as a tactical win for the Japanese and a strategic one for the United States. However, as the narrator points out in the video, the U.S. Navy narrowly avoided disaster more than once during the engagement. Had it been otherwise, the subsequent Battle of Midway could also have turned out much different as well.

As for the new Midway film release, I have had enough with animated recreations of actual events which are already well documented in actual film footage or older (better) films made prior to computer imaging/special effects. I realize younger generations won't sit through a black & white film, and computer-generated everything is how many view the world. As for myself, I have recently been visiting that period via "VictoryAtSeaOnline" on YouTube. BTW, both the narration & musical score on V.A.S. are outstanding.

#5 ·
If it wasn't for CGI there would not be much for action movies. And it seems there are no new writers in Hollywood all they can do is take old really good movies and try to re write them for CGI. It shows you that the old talent is gone there and this is what you have today is movies modeled after computer gaming based on former well written movies. I am not paying to see any of them I have a 55 flat screen which is big enough for me and sooner or later it will make it to TV. I hate the theater too loud people milling around and phones going off.

Reactions: August
#6 ·
Wow...yet another Hollyweird reboot? How many transgender purple haired pilots were in this one? Were there any Tuskegee pilots manning those dive bombers? How many people were smoking in this movie?

They are just flat out of ideas, and the only thing that worthless industry can give us these days is rebooted movies and franchises like super hero movies. Except now, they have to get rid of the male leads and put women in that role, or people of color instead of writing new material with those leads in mind. Its lazy writing all the way around, and I'm wondering how long it will be before they figure out that woke bullshit does not sell. Look at the new Terminator movie...its a flop. Remember John Conner? yep...they killed him off. Get woke, go broke.

#8 ·
"They had no right to win, but they did..."

They had every right. The two forces were fairly evenly matched. The Americans found the Japanese carriers first and proceeded to put bombs on targets. Covering Japanese fighters were too few, and had been lured into defending at low altitude, while the SBDs came in high.

There's a great book out there, "Shattered Sword", about the battle from the Japanese perspective. It's become a classic, well worth your time to read.

#11 ·
"They had no right to win, but they did..."
Not words I would have chosen either. I think the author is just trying to pay tribute.

At the time Japan was on top of their game as far as carrier operations and arguably had the most experienced aircrew in the world. Had decisions and timing gone differently the resulting battle would have turned out very bad for us. It also did not help them that we broke their code and they were unaware of the fact.

How ironic that Japan's plan to draw out, engage and destroy our carriers and thus putting us on the defensive ended up doing just that to them.

I still may go check out the movie if only for entertainment and the popcorn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.