"Scratch One flat Top"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: "Scratch One flat Top"

Member #
    Liked
    120 times

"Scratch One flat Top"

Just watched the new Midway movie, will have to say the first one was better. Thought the original had a better story line to it and maybe I fell asleep but I don't remember hearing or seeing the phrase "Scratch One flat Top" in the new movie. Was looking forwards to that phrase but maybe I missed it. Plus there is another scene in the movie that's going to make you go WTF!
    JeepFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1194 times
    that sucks... I was looking forward to seeing it. let me guess... they go to some extreme, historically incorrect tangent to make the Japanese look good, in order to keep from 'offending' them?
    JeepFan and trevorakm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5030 times
    I was planing going to see it but will probably wait for some more reviews.

I didn't have my hopes up. I'm not paying for some historically inaccurate garbage sjw flick.

Eta
    Might as well add some links for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipF5zoCGAk

Another, it's supposed to be two parts, I don't think part two is out yet. One of my favorites on Midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8_vO5zrjo

Last edited by JeepFan; 11-08-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Greyeagle and TPinFl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5159 times
    That message was sent during the battle for the Coral Sea which took place before Midway.
    TPinFl and JeepFan like this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    If it wasn't for CGI there would not be much for action movies. And it seems there are no new writers in Hollywood all they can do is take old really good movies and try to re write them for CGI. It shows you that the old talent is gone there and this is what you have today is movies modeled after computer gaming based on former well written movies. I am not paying to see any of them I have a 55 flat screen which is big enough for me and sooner or later it will make it to TV. I hate the theater too loud people milling around and phones going off.
    August likes this.
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11986 times
    Wow...yet another Hollyweird reboot? How many transgender purple haired pilots were in this one? Were there any Tuskegee pilots manning those dive bombers? How many people were smoking in this movie?

They are just flat out of ideas, and the only thing that worthless industry can give us these days is rebooted movies and franchises like super hero movies. Except now, they have to get rid of the male leads and put women in that role, or people of color instead of writing new material with those leads in mind. Its lazy writing all the way around, and I'm wondering how long it will be before they figure out that woke bullshit does not sell. Look at the new Terminator movie...its a flop. Remember John Conner? yep...they killed him off. Get woke, go broke.
    VietIraqVet and malibu12 like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    2058 times
    Haven't seen it yet, but from the previews it looks like "we" are the heroes, at least.

That in itself is a bold move for Hollywood these days, when half the country believes that patriotism=nationalism=Nazism=Trump. LOL.

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    "They had no right to win, but they did..."

They had every right. The two forces were fairly evenly matched. The Americans found the Japanese carriers first and proceeded to put bombs on targets. Covering Japanese fighters were too few, and had been lured into defending at low altitude, while the SBDs came in high.

There's a great book out there, "Shattered Sword", about the battle from the Japanese perspective. It's become a classic, well worth your time to read.
    Avatar is the butt stock marking of a new condition 1941 Portuguese contract K98 Mauser

Member #
    Liked
    444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    That message was sent during the battle for the Coral Sea which took place before Midway.
    My father was on the Lexington (until he had to jump over the side and swim for it). Both I and my brother are fortunate he was a good swimmer! There is a really good dissertation on the
    Battle of the Coral Sea here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5hH3ksvKE

Historians tend to view this battle as a tactical win for the Japanese and a strategic one for the United States. However, as the narrator points out in the video, the U.S. Navy narrowly avoided disaster more than once during the engagement. Had it been otherwise, the subsequent Battle of Midway could also have turned out much different as well.

As for the new Midway film release, I have had enough with animated recreations of actual events which are already well documented in actual film footage or older (better) films made prior to computer imaging/special effects. I realize younger generations won't sit through a black & white film, and computer-generated everything is how many view the world. As for myself, I have recently been visiting that period via "VictoryAtSeaOnline" on YouTube. BTW, both the narration & musical score on V.A.S. are outstanding.
    Last edited by pwcosol; 11-10-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    scottyb, Greyeagle and Tony617 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5159 times
    JeepFan likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    5030 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmgguy View Post
    "They had no right to win, but they did..."
    Not words I would have chosen either. I think the author is just trying to pay tribute.

At the time Japan was on top of their game as far as carrier operations and arguably had the most experienced aircrew in the world. Had decisions and timing gone differently the resulting battle would have turned out very bad for us. It also did not help them that we broke their code and they were unaware of the fact.

How ironic that Japan's plan to draw out, engage and destroy our carriers and thus putting us on the defensive ended up doing just that to them.

I still may go check out the movie if only for entertainment and the popcorn.

Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    You are most correct. Thought it was in the first Midway movie.
    Went and looked for that saying and it is in the first Midway movie. So even in the 70's I was being fooled.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwLyIMqfbf0
    Last edited by Greyeagle; 11-09-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1631 times
    "Scratch one flattop" was referring to the light carrier Shoho at, as already mentioned, the Battle of the Coral Sea in May.

Member #
    Liked
    8207 times
    No interest in a Hollywood version. No interest in 99.9% that comes out in theaters.

btr

Member #
    Liked
    587 times
    Looks like critics hate this one, and audiences love it...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/midway_2019/

I'm interested...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors