Ever had 40rd Steel Bulgarian (welded) mags?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By train
  • 1 Post By recon
  • 1 Post By GTPI
  • 2 Post By akraider

Thread: Ever had 40rd Steel Bulgarian (welded) mags?

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

Ever had 40rd Steel Bulgarian (welded) mags?

(Example PIC after reading )

Anyone own or "have owned" those funky looking steel 40rd mags years ago in the Chief Thunder era (00'-01ish when most plentiful) with the
    "welded steel band" wrapping around the center area of the mag?

It's technically the upper half of a Bulgarian 30 and the lower half of another 30, just "connected" and held together by the welded piece of material.

Do they hold up as good as a "Solid Steel 40rd mags?

scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    Had some of those. Good mags. Well built.
    scottyb likes this.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Member #
    Liked
    1900 times
    I had a couple. I wonder if they repurposed mags that were out of spec on the top by cutting them up and attaching them to the bottom of good mags.

Think about it. They didn't bother to make new dies for a 40rnd mag, but they made a die for a lower piece?
    Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    I have a bunch of them and will usually buy them when seen for sale, lately they have been between $50.-$65. They are solid and well made. Mine fit and function flawlessly but I don't use them as much as other more common 40's
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponmark View Post
    I had a couple. I wonder if they repurposed mags that were out of spec on the top by cutting them up and attaching them to the bottom of good mags.

Think about it. They didn't bother to make new dies for a 40rnd mag, but they made a die for a lower piece?
    Based on what I own and can see in a few of them these were made from mags that had already been used not new parts. I have a few that you can clearly see the difference, the top looking new and the spliced on bottoms have pitting and worn appearance that can clearly be seen through the new painted finish.
    I have absolutely no fact to base this on but it's been said that the Bulgarians needed tooling or something they couldn't obtain from Russia so in order to have 40's they came up with this solution.
    So your thoughts make perfectly good sense, why toss the worn or out of spec in the trash.

Member #
    Liked
    5169 times
    The bottom weld and material would be a reinforcement although at the cost of extra weight.

I would love to find one or moar.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    2999 times
    Still have some, dont know if Ive ever used them tho.

Member #
    Liked
    906 times
    I have some that I got back then. I'm glad I'm a gun/accessory whore.

BTW, what's the difference between a collector and a hoarder? A collectors stuff gets sold when he dies. A hoarders stuff gets thrown in the dumpster when he dies.
    Last edited by Bret; 11-04-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    440 times
    Was looking back over some of my info...the Bulgies were almost completely dependent upon the Russian's for monetery, industrial and military aid after WWII but by 1989-1990 they moved out of the Soviet sphere, and had been doing so for a number of years, and they became more or less self supporting in those areas by the late 80's and into the 90's...the machinery for certain things and other aid was withheld by the Ruskies as a result...so the Bulgies came up with what we call these "splicer mags" made from 30 rdr's...when I was into collecting I ran across some that looked absolutely new, top and bottom while I found others that either the top or the bottom looked used...these mags are the result of the Russians pinching off the machinery to make 40 rdr's and the Bulgies resourcefulness in getting around that...I've never been able to nail down a time line that was accurate leading up to their appearance or even the year they were first ID'ed...I've got a few still around here also...they're as good a mag as there is out there...
    Last edited by akraider; 11-04-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    scottyb and GTPI like this.
    Akforum member #234...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors