Is this mark on the crown cause for concern?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is this mark on the crown cause for concern?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Is this mark on the crown cause for concern?

Sold an M77 recently to a guy as "excellent shape, previous owner fired it barely if at all"(Previous owner actually never fired it but I like to undergrade things to prevent issues exactly like this.)
    He sends me this picture saying that he wants to return it because this is bad damage and will harm accuracy and potentially be dangerous.

So I'd like to get some unbiased opinions. To me this does not seem to be an issue at all, but he certainly seems concerned.

Thanks for looking.

ems

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    That’s not even on the crown, tell the dude to pound sand. The crown is down where the bullet exits the barrel—the whole point of a recessed crown is that things like what are shown in your pic won’t effect accuracy
    Averageman likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3899 times
    Second the first opinion, your buyer's a dumbshit and you have no obligation (based on this) to offer any remedy. That light strike is limited to the outer rim, would only affect the bullet's path if it extended to the inside edge of the angled inner crown ring.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    583 times
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Nothing dangerous especially. Fuck that guy. He touched it I wouldn't want it back. Probably jamming oil and a rod down that fresh barrel and putting his greasy fingers all over all of it.

Crown looks good, I see a spec of carbon or shit though. He might want to wipe it off.

What is wrong with people. Probably retarded and having buyers remorse. Thought he was buying "real russian ak".

Member #
    Liked
    1063 times
    Picture isnít very clear. Is the damage only on the face of the barrel? Did it deform the lands or grooves at all?
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
    Picture isnít very clear. Is the damage only on the face of the barrel? Did it deform the lands or grooves at all?
    That's what I asked him. I don't believe so as he did not answer that directly and went to how bad it was.

My main concern would be if the crown itself or rifling would be affected.

Member #
    Liked
    5144 times
    That guy is a twit.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    751 times
    Agree with above on functionality/safety. Did you show that picture/did he see it before paying? I could see how people might look at that and be a little surprised if they weren't expecting it. Kind of like a gouge in a receiver, scratch or dent on a car. Won't affect anything, but some might not buy because of it.

If I sold it and wasn't clear that the mark was present, I'd take it back. It just gives the perception that it was being hidden. That opinion is worth what you paid for it.
    Last edited by esh21167; 11-02-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2057 times
    Of course it won't affect anything.

Sounds like another rookie who thinks he'll be taking his AK to shoot at the Nationals.

Member #
    Liked
    52442 times
    Seen worse, shot worse, not a problem.
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Tell him it's an easy fix. Take a bastard file and make a few swipes across the muzzle until the indent disappears. Problem solved.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've reached an agreement with the buyer that we are both OK with.

In short, no I did not notice that mark. But even if I had, I wouldn't have mentioned it because to me it's a non issue.. I sell ww2 surplus firearms day in and day out, so I'm used to seeing little scratches or dings here and there and to me that's a complete nothing. In the future I will be labeling excellent condition or even brand new guns as good or very good used condition to avoid future issue.

Appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by umwtf; 11-02-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2951 times
    I’d return it because it’s missing the muzzle device detent, not b/c the mark that isn’t on the crown

Member #
    Liked
    1063 times
    If he is worried about that little mark causing accuracy problems with a Kalashnikov variant he needs to take up a new line of rifles, like bolt action Weatherbys.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    umWTF - OK, yeah, there is a light strike mark (or seems to be, hard to tell from the photo), radially, across the face of the muzzle. So, in order of ridiculousness... There is nothing, nothing, remotely "unsafe" about this. Nada, nyet, nuthin. There is exceedingly low probability that this will have any effect on accuracy - neither improving it nor detracting from it. .308 Win (or 7,62 NATO?) is a little more (much more, actually) accurate innately than the M43 round, and the M77 is a hell of a lot more accurate a delivery system than your average bear. That said, an M77 is not bench rest rifle. Never will be. That the buyer believes this sort of mark will the least affect accuracy or safety is a tribute to his own ignorance - not your responsibility toward him. This is of the same potential impact as a scratch on the dust cover, or trigger guard. It's completely immaterial. It is a cosmetic blemish - may have come from the factory that way. But it is not deep enough to deform the muzzle, or even the crown. There's a nick... on an AK... Alert the media! Call the government! Get my lawyer! Where's my microscope?!

Some folks have nothing better to do than practice complaining, feel sorry for themselves, and reassure themselves that the rest of the world is really as bad as they believe (making themselves feel better about how wonderful they themselves are, you see). Sorry you found one of those-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors