Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Indykid
  • 1 Post By xman

Thread: Polytech National Match

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Polytech National Match

Hello Forum. First post here. I own several AKM's, and really enjoy shooting them, but even more just learning about them. I just purchased a beautiful numbers matching Polytech National Match Legend recently, and have fallen in love with it. It has no bayonet lug on front, and none I have ever seen does. Were they removed prior to import (someone suggested), or did they simply never have one? Can one be retro-fitted, IF it originally would have come with one? However, my main question is: When I purchased the rifle, the seller (at a gun show) made me sign a disclaimer that I would not alter the weapon in an illegal way. He stated a bunch came into the US in the late '80's? unmodified but for some reason cleared ATF inspection? He was clearly referring to a conversion or modification to full auto and/or select fire. He indicated that these guns were imported with all of their original full auto internals, and the ATF made him weld a "pin" at/near/on the receiver to prevent the selector from going to full auto. PLEASE be clear, I am NOT interested in converting ANYTHING, and have better things to do with the next 10 years of my life than sit in Federal prison. Again, I am not interested in learning how. However, I am interested to know if this is in fact true, and if so, does it give the gun any additional value, or do they all (Polytech Legends) have this "capability"? There are definitely extra parts in the receiver which are not in any other of my AKM's. Thanks! (Yes, I did search the forum, and found nothing...)

Member #
    Liked
    1064 times
    Welcome to the group!

Just when you think you heard it all... The Poly Tech National Match was imported into the land of shall not be infringed in 100% ATF approved condition. Unless the seller lives in a state that requires strange things to be done to the rifle, there was no reason to have to modify it. The National Match was imported with a semi-auto only receiver, so I have no idea what would be "needed".

Also, they were imported before the Bush the First ban on evil looking features, so it is exempt from the 10 parts rule of the new ATF second amendment known as 922(r)

Now if you did find stuff in the receiver that doesn't look right, could you take a few photos as well as one showing the whole receiver from either side. Looking for an illegal 3rd axis pin which would mean it was built using a true AK receiver (full auto at one time) which should not have been allowed into the land of shall not be infringed.

All above assuming you are in the USA since we are a world wide forum.
    corpsman5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1064 times
    Oh, as for the bayonet, the NM did not ship with one, but has the ability to use the type that snaps onto the front sight base cleaning rod holder.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    That model was made only for the US market and did not come with a bayonet. All the ATF stuff is BS.
    corpsman5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    Welcome to the forum.

Member #
    Liked
    1194 times
    welcome to the forum. sounds like the guy that sold it to you was full of BS.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks guys! I am actually relieved, knowing I have no ATF issues to worry about! The receiver actually has one spring which snugly fits along the receiver interior wall, and extends forward of the trigger a bit. It is essentially the only thing I can see that is different. One thing I did note is that the selector lever hits a metal "post" on the receiver (the part he said was welded on), which prevents the selector from going more than about 2/3's down. There is a detent in the receiver in which the selector rests at this position, BUT all of my other AK's have selectors which go MUCH further down the side of the receiver. None the less, I paid 2K (very lightly used, no box, pristine condition) and I just love the gun. Thanks, and I look forward to participating!

Member #
    Liked
    1064 times
    I am wondering if that selector stop was installed in an attempt to make the governing idiots of the people's republic of commifornia happy.

Did it come with the original cone shaped muzzle device? They only shipped with the Legend NM and are virtually impossible to find on the open market.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It did come with the "cone" flash hider. I am interested in firing it at night, to see how effective it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Indykid View Post
    I am wondering if that selector stop was installed in an attempt to make the governing idiots of the people's republic of commifornia happy.

Did it come with the original cone shaped muzzle device? They only shipped with the Legend NM and are virtually impossible to find on the open market.

Sponsors