Thoughts on .22LR AKS?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Thoughts on .22LR AKS?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Thoughts on .22LR AKS?

Haven't had a 22 rifle in several years and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on an .22 AK. Range toy for sure, just wondering....

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    IMO just buy a real and cheap .22lr and don't bother with a .22lr AK. Or IMO any 22 that looks like something else. You're just wasting money on aesthetics, and the main reason to have/shoot .22lr is because its cheap. Getting a more expensive rifle to shoot it doesn't make sense for the caliber.
    btr likes this.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3343 times
    +1., a Ruger 10/22 will out shoot an AK 22 rifle.
    Other varieties as well., and more reliable and more accurate.
    michmel and scottyb like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    IMO just buy a real and cheap .22lr and don't bother with a .22lr AK. Or IMO any 22 that looks like something else.
    I disagree when it comes to the right "look-alikes." My WASR-22 and CZ Kadet will be crucial steps in my daughter's firearms learning, and are pretty worthwhile for me too. I haven't shot them enough to have final opinions, but so far the WASR-22 has been good enough for grins, and the CZ Kadet slide is nothing short of amazing sitting on my pre-B 75. These two are the only "look-alikes" I was after, and the next .22 I buy will be a bolt action, but I was glad to get these two for what they are.

-otus
    sniper48 and davehal9000 like this.
    “Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens... they are tied to their country and wedded to its liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds." -Thomas Jefferson

Interested in / potentially buying:
    -1971 Romanian AK-pattern rifles
    -CZ 2075D RAMI & CZ 97BD pistols

Member #
    Liked
    4973 times
    Quote Originally Posted by otus View Post
    I disagree when it comes to the right "look-alikes." My WASR-22 and CZ Kadet will be crucial steps in my daughter's firearms learning, and are pretty worthwhile for me too. I haven't shot them enough to have final opinions, but so far the WASR-22 has been good enough for grins, and the CZ Kadet slide is nothing short of amazing sitting on my pre-B 75. These two are the only "look-alikes" I was after, and the next .22 I buy will be a bolt action, but I was glad to get these two for what they are.

-otus
    I agree. Anytime I have taken a noob shooting, the first question I ask is have you ever shot any firearm before? When the answer is no, out come the .22's. They are great guns to introduce a new person to the shooting sports. No recoil and a quiet report. I have a Taurus .22 revolver that looks like their larger .38 gun and it is the perfect gun to show a new shooter.
    otus likes this.
    When you're the Big Dog, the fleas want to take you down. Fact of life.
    Everyone's beautiful on the inside, until I'm through with them.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3852 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    Haven't had a 22 rifle in several years and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on an .22 AK. Range toy for sure, just wondering....

Depends on how you like to use it. If its pew-pew-pew fun, or you do a lot of AK training, the AK .22 is great. If you want to really develop your marksmanship and the satisfaction of one-hole groups, then go for a decent bolt gun or high quality semi-auto. As noted, always the starting platform for someone new to firearms, and we all need to play a role in bringing more folks to the sport.
    Last edited by AZAK; 09-27-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    otus likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Oh yeah. 22s are great introductory firearms. I just personally would never go with one that looks like something historical because I think they're silly.

Member #
    Liked
    283 times
    All of MY Romanian M10.22 ak's shoot very accurate and are just a hoot to shoot. The M10 are the actual Military trainers that came in once in one lot less than 1000 of them. While the Ruger 10/22 is a excellent choice fore .22 you cannot beat a Military ak for fun and collectability. I understand someone is selling conversions for ak to .22.
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Member #
    Liked
    52328 times
    Not sure how many .22's I own, but they sure are fun to shoot and ammo is everywhere once again.

If the price is decent and function reviews check out, why not?
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Love the 22l platform. To this day my 22L is one of my favorites. I may have to give an AK 22 conversion a try one of these days. Can never have enough of them haha!
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Dude, what about a 10/22 or M&P 15-22? I'm pretty sure they're cheaper (maybe not m&p) fun as hell, and super reliable. I have the M&P, but I've been eye balling a grey folding stock 10/22. I honestly love 22LR because it's so cheap to shoot lol. Theres nothing wrong with some cheap fun!
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-28-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    YUGO_Dave likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I have a Romanian AKT-98 22 LR. These were an earlier model and mine came with the polymer stock and hand guard. Mine is pretty darn accurate and has a good trigger. The 22 AK is a lot of fun to shoot. I also have several dedicated 22 LR AR-15’s and Advantage Arms pistol conversion kits with dedicated frames. I like to shoot steel plates and I like having less noise and down range hazard.

otus and MPiKM-72 like this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    From time to time I shoot with a large group of extended family and their kids, spouses, friends, etc. I watch the younger kids wanting to shoot some of the cool shit but are afraid of the recoil of say an AK. I walk up with a WASR-22, show them it shoots the same round they have been shooting all day, and set them up on the bench. They love it! Grinning ear to ear. Eventually they're ablbe to overcome the fear of its big brother's recoil and it's game on!
    otus and btr like this.
    Instead of telling each other how bad the situation is why not take 2 minutes of your life and tell our elected officials instead? www.congress.org

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Check with Southern Ohio Gun. They had Romanian .22lr AKs. Nice rifles from what I understand and the genuine article purpose built for .22lr.

Member #
    Liked
    4891 times
    Thoughts on .22 AKs?.....I have always wanted a clone of this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exWXcS7z5S0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors