• 1 Post By Bret
  • 2 Post By Obstreperous
  • 2 Post By TPinFl

Thread: Parts kit questions

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Parts kit questions

Hey y'all, forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. Hate to start a new thread, but I didn't see anything specifically addressing the questions I have.

I'm still fairly new to the AK world, although I have learned a lot through this forum as well as YT gun channels etc. I have two Romy kits that were built for me as I lack tools and a work space to do it myself. I have an Izhevsk barrel trunnion that I want to turn into a rifle... I found in my searching that a lot of the Russian parts kits have no trunnion, which is why I grabbed this one since they seem very hard to locate. Compared to other nations' kits ie Romania, why the missing trunnions?

Also, I know this might be tough to answer but do you guys see the parts kits supply in general drying up anytime soon? I'm trying to decide whether to invest in collecting a stash of kits and receivers first and then build them later, or get the rifle built as soon I get a kit. With the constant threat of AWB hanging overhead I'm trying to hedge my bets as best as I can.

Thanks for your time.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    The importers (ATI - I believe - this was 10 years ago) of the mismatched Russian parts kits seemed to not care about keeping the kit parts together.

They also made an attempt to make "milled" AK rifles. The receivers resembled NOTHING ever made on the European continent. Maybe they worked but they looked awful.

I believe the Russian trunnions from those kits may have been damaged during demil. They seemed to hire the lowest cost workers to demil those kits. I will forever spit at ATI for that choice.

Me in charge of a low budget demil project.

Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Speaking of trunnion damage... I wonder if the Izzy trunnion I have might have been a victim of ATI. The receiver stub is still riveted on, and whoever cut it made the cut too close and shaved the rear edge of the trunnion... in my un-expert opinion it seems superficial as there’s still meat between the rear of the trunnion and the rivet hole, but will that render it unusable?
    He who fails to choose his battles wisely cannot win the war.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    It was probably from the "joeken" firearms "PLO" kits circa 2002. A lot of those had the rear of the front trunnion kissed during demil.
    angus_podgorney likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    849 times
    Quote Originally Posted by angus_podgorney View Post
    Also, I know this might be tough to answer but do you guys see the parts kits supply in general drying up anytime soon? I'm trying to decide whether to invest in collecting a stash of kits and receivers first and then build them later, or get the rifle built as soon I get a kit. With the constant threat of AWB hanging overhead I'm trying to hedge my bets as best as I can.
    Parts kits have already dried up compared to what was available in the past. One thing to keep in mind about the kits is that when you add in the cost of the barrel, 922(r) compliance parts, build cost and finish cost, the price might be more than it would cost to buy a new AK or a nice used one. I love my kits and love building them, but the prices are making building not as attractive as it once was, especially if you compare the costs to buying or building an AR15. To answer your question, I'd buy and have them built instead of stashing a bunch and not having them built. I would be awful to have a pile of kits that couldn't legally be turned in to rifle because another stupid ban got passed.
    angus_podgorney likes this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    472 times
    I'm sure the glory days are over but kits can still be had, Yes at a increased price but they are out there. Andrew from AoA just went on a hunt in Europe and has some goodies . Will they be rare kits? Probably not but anything is good for the people just getting in to AK kits. While living in Ca I stopped building and concentrated on collecting kits, Barrels and 80% receivers. Now that I'm almost settled in AZ I am on the lookout for a knee mill and then I will build all the kits I'm sitting on. What I need is some scopes for my AK's and AR's.
    Personally I would get kits and start building. If you stock up on 80% receivers then no one knows you have them and when they were built.
    angus_podgorney and scottyb like this.

Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstreperous View Post
    I'm sure the glory days are over but kits can still be had, Yes at a increased price but they are out there. Andrew from AoA just went on a hunt in Europe and has some goodies . Will they be rare kits? Probably not but anything is good for the people just getting in to AK kits. While living in Ca I stopped building and concentrated on collecting kits, Barrels and 80% receivers. Now that I'm almost settled in AZ I am on the lookout for a knee mill and then I will build all the kits I'm sitting on. What I need is some scopes for my AK's and AR's.
    Personally I would get kits and start building. If you stock up on 80% receivers then no one knows you have them and when they were built.

Agree with Obstreperous. If there are ak's you really want I would get them now. Some of the Soviet kits that were $500-$600, a few years ago are $800+. And if you want an aks74u, rguns sells them now for $2k on gun broker. But the Soviet kits will most likely will never come down. I got all the kits I wanted over time and picked up any other parts I needed along the way. I have no build skills so I bought receivers for them over time also. That was when you had to wait 2+ years to get a top shelf. The flats are a good idea, but I planned on giving all my guns to my daughter for future grandkids. And not sure exactly what your plans are but once you buy the receiver, that is the gun so you can build it anytime after that.

What sucks is spending all that cash for kits & barrels up front, then sitting on them until they can be built. But an Izzy ak74 kit is $900 from rguns on gun broker. They were much cheaper just a few years ago. If you want one and wait, they may be $2k in 4-5 years.

I'd buy the most expensive kits and barrels now, and work my way to the cheap kits that are available right now. You can always buy a couple ak's to hedge your bets and to shoot until yours are built.
    angus_podgorney and scottyb like this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Parts kit questions

Quote Originally Posted by Obstreperous View Post
    Speaking of AoA, anyone else notice the site has been down since last night?

BTW Welcome to the land of the free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    AoA's site has been fine for me today and last night.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by angus_podgorney View Post
    Speaking of AoA, anyone else notice the site has been down since last night?

BTW Welcome to the land of the free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I suspect it was due to their move. Yesterday and part of last evening, all is working as it should be today.

Member #
    Liked
    5007 times
    They are in TX now from Colo.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Yep, right after I posted about AoA's site being down it started working again. Dammit, there goes next paycheck again...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey, another rookie question that fits into this thread nicely. In hunting for a Russian AKM rear sight block, I found that there are cast blocks and milled ones. Can someone clear up for me when these were used and from which arsenal? Thanks again!

Sponsors