Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By JoeMomma
  • 1 Post By Brianv

Thread: Adjusting front sight

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Adjusting front sight

Is there a good way to adjust the front sight without the tool? Maybe a small hammer or a c clamp? It's a new rifle and I'm hoping to go zero it tomorrow.

Member #
    Liked
    2089 times
    I bought a "C" clamp like tool that slowly drifts the sight to the left or right.
    You can put it on there sand bag the rifle in and leave it. You shoot, adjust, check, fine adjust all with this tool. It's essentially a "C" clamp with a screw going through one side.
    Damned handy to have.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11728 times
    Seriously...put a crowbar in your wallet, and buy a damn tool. The most expensive ones are $20.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2068 times
    Rob Ski swears by Magna-matic zeroing tools so I'd say those are G2G. They're around 30 bucks but his word on gear is pretty much ironclad so the extra 10'er is probably worth it. I had a Tapco tool and FWIW I don't recommend them. For me, they tend to slide off the sight block while you adjust them and they mar up the surface pretty bad.

I recently lucked out and grabbed a B-Square tool off this site and I'm REALLY glad I did. Excellent piece if kit if you can find one. I don't think they're made anymore. Damage Industries used to make super nice zero tools, but I haven't seen one on their site for a couple years. I had one with me overseas and I paid it forward on my way out the door, so I don't regret giving it up but I wish I'd bought more than one.

I know none of this helps you at the range tomorrow but that's my take on those tools.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I think when I bought mine, I found a cheap one for like $6-7 total online. I had to modify it a bit by doing a little filing but the tool really is well worth even $10-20 easily. For elevation it’s not necessary really, but windage is much easier adjusted with the tool.

Member #
    Liked
    2089 times
    Another thing that will make your life easier is a little paint on your front and rear site, I use green and yellow, it make zeroing much easier.

Member #
    Liked
    4768 times
    Like others have posted I just use one like this, https://www.desertfoxsales.com/AK_SK..._p/dfs-044.htm.

I keep one in my range bag tool kit and one in the shop. Simple, cheap and gets it done.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2068 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Another thing that will make your life easier is a little paint on your front and rear site, I use green and yellow, it make zeroing much easier.
    I'm more or less a purist when it comes to AK's but I think I'm going to give in and try this technique.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I paint the front sight on most of my guns. It does help. Bright nail polish works well. I did order the sight tool but I was being impatient. When I took it out to shoot it was basically zeroed from the factory which surprised me. I wont have to adjust it much.
    Averageman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2089 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianv View Post
    I paint the front sight on most of my guns. It does help. Bright nail polish works well. I did order the sight tool but I was being impatient. When I took it out to shoot it was basically zeroed from the factory which surprised me. I wont have to adjust it much.
    This is pretty much required with snubbie .38's you're serious about using.

Sponsors