Odd mag well dimples on Arsenal AK?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Odd mag well dimples on Arsenal AK?

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    What’s up with the occasional semi rectangular mag well dimples on some Arsenal AKs?

This 107FR is the first one I’ve owned like that, but googling it I can find plenty of photos of it. Seems it was made 2015, just got it from Kvar during the sub 24 hours they had them in stock a week or two ago. (Actually stumbled across it. T chance. Was looking for spare parts for my 106 and feel like I got lucky. Either way, it’s my “dream AK” for no reason other than it’s a close enough clone of an AK-103 for me)

Instead of the normal oval dimples these are much more of a rectangle shape.

Doesn’t really bother me, a little, but not enough to do anything other than inquire in the forum. I’m curious. My 106 and no longer with me 107R had the rounded oval dimples. They don’t look quite as nice, but sure doesn’t hurt the rifles function. Got 500 rounds thru it already and no issues, unsurprisingly.

**** rifle on top is a WBP FOX not an Arsenal. Rifle in bottom is an Arsenal. I just grabbed one of my AKs with normal dimples. Sorry if that was confusing or misleading. I was taking photos for a different thread and had them both out so it made sense to me.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeeps; 09-06-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    It's been rumored that the SLR-105's were the last commercial rifles with stamped receivers to be actually assembled at the Arsenal factory in Bulgaria and the subsequent SLR-104, SLR-106 and SLR-107 models have been assembled by Bulgarian vendors.

That said, I too have noticed the slight dimple variation and hypothesized it was one vendor's receiver versus another's.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gonogo View Post
    It's been rumored that the SLR-105's were the last commercial rifles with stamped receivers to be actually assembled at the Arsenal factory in Bulgaria and the subsequent SLR-104, SLR-106 and SLR-107 models have been assembled by Bulgarian vendors.

That said, I too have noticed the slight dimple variation and hypothesized it was one vendor's receiver versus another's.
    Interesting. That definitely makes a lot of since.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    850 times
    The markings on the top picture make it seem Polish, not Bulgarian.
    AZAK likes this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Happen to have a link to any of that info? Are the receivers made by a commercial or military contractor?

It definitely would make sense, since doesn’t the Bulgarian military only use Milled receivers?

If I’m not mistaken I thought they export a lot of military stamped rifles as well, so I assume the receivers are still very well made?

I find stuff like this very interesting.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The markings on the top picture make it seem Polish, not Bulgarian.
    The rifle with the silver bolt and the Polish C and P markings is a Polish WBP FOX. I was taking pictures for a different thread and had both these out at the same time so it made since just to use the WBP as a reference. My apologies if that was confusing or misleading.

Poor wording on my part. Edited first post to clear that up there as well.
    Last edited by Jeeps; 09-06-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2795 times
    That dimple looks messed up, I'd be pissed considering the price they command.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut308 View Post
    That dimple looks messed up, I'd be pissed considering the price they command.
    I’ll call Kvar and inquire.

I can find other photos of them like that online, it doesn’t strike me as “messed up” but it looks like they used a different tool to do it, or like nogo said maybe used a different receiver.

I definitely wish it was the correct rounded dimple.

But that’s just my non professional personal opinion. I do know the rifle works great and I’m still happy with it.

I’ll absolutely call them and inquire. And will email them the photo. Noticed it when I picked it up, but since they sold out of 107FRs in like half a day, I wasn’t able to send it back for an exchange only a refund and said “F it I like it still”

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Got off the phone with Kvar. Very friendly CS guy. He said he owns a few personally that are 2013 and later and they have the same ugly dimples, and he said every one of them coming in now has that type of dimple, and every one of them in the batch I bought from had that same type of rectangular dimple.

He wasn’t quite sure on the exact date for the change, but said all them coming in recently have been that way.

I asked if he knew anything about different receivers being used, and he said it is most likely either a different receiver Arsenal is using in Bulgaria or a different tool to do it.

I’m a purist, and really meticulous about details. The dimple definitely annoys me, but, I like the gun still and will happily keep it. the 107FR is my dream AK, and I’m just going to be happy with it anyway. 🙂

I’ll shoot the snot out of it, and eventually get an older one with the prettier/correct dimples.

If they are all coming in that way, then it seems unlikely it’s just a flaw or something was wrong.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    You got me curious, so I checked mine. My 106 is from 11 or 12. Deep round dimples like your Polish rifle. My 104 is from around 14-15 and it has dimples like yours but very deep. So much so, you have to look in the light to see that its more square and not round. The next two I have are from about the same time period so 17-18. The first, a 104, has deep square dimples much like my older 104. The 107 on the other hand has very shallow square dimples. Shallow to the point that they seem more cosmetic than functional............ interesting.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robo4642 View Post
    You got me curious, so I checked mine. My 106 is from 11 or 12. Deep round dimples like your Polish rifle. My 104 is from around 14-15 and it has dimples like yours but very deep. So much so, you have to look in the light to see that its more square and not round. The next two I have are from about the same time period so 17-18. The first, a 104, has deep square dimples much like my older 104. The 107 on the other hand has very shallow square dimples. Shallow to the point that they seem more cosmetic than functional............ interesting.
    Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

This is my only arsenal I’ve owned that’s like that. The depth on mine is consistent with the Polish and 2004 106F.
    robo4642 likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1979 times
    If you are a purist, then any 107 is already a sin. They are a civilian only product. I would guess its tooling that is starting to wear out / lack of military grade QC.

Here are pics of the raw receivers, and another civi stamped 7.62x39 product; These pics were taken by me in the Arsenal of BG "Factory showroom" a couple years ago.

20161011_112344edited.jpg

20161011_112442edited.jpg20161011_112452edited.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stottman View Post
    If you are a purist, then any 107 is already a sin. They are a civilian only product. I would guess its tooling that is starting to wear out / lack of military grade QC.

Here are pics of the raw receivers, and another civi stamped 7.62x39 product; These pics were taken by me in the Arsenal of BG "Factory showroom" a couple years ago.

20161011_112344edited.jpg

20161011_112442edited.jpg20161011_112452edited.jpg
    Cool photos! Very cool that you got to go there.

Is it really civilian only? I thought they had a lot of contracts for SLR lines for various foreign militaries, including the 5.56 models. Haha obviously the semi auto ones being imported are civilian only.

Either way, Civilian only doesn’t bother me as there isn’t really side folding AK100 series rifles being imported to the best of my knowledge. I’ve heard of a few Saigas coming in with side folder stocks and a trunnion disconnect for the trigger, but otherwise it seems arsenal and PSA are the only ones making left side folder rifles. And psa uses the 45 gas block.

I do agree, it’s not perfect. But, the 107FR is the closest clone I can get of an Ak103. The rear sight is wrong, the selector markings, the side rail is not the current Russian style, in this case the dimples are wrong as well.

Maybe purist was the wrong term, but I generally consider myself really picky, but in this case, it doesn’t really bother me, since I’ve been looking for one for a while now.

I definitely consider myself a purist, very few of my guns get modified with aftermarket stuff, and I’d never even consider using a magpul handguard on one of my AKs! But, I’m more of a “clone builder” than a true purist.

Sometime I’m going to order a saiga and get the jig and modify the saiga with a 5.5 side folder trunnion, get the right rear sight, etc. slowly work to make it a perfect ak103 clone.
    Last edited by Jeeps; 09-07-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I was thinking new tooling on that line, but your comment makes more sense. Why would they stick more*money unless they need to, into commercial rifle manf. equipment..

As long as it's factory made, and functional, no shallow dimples I'd be confident in it.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1979 times
    Foreign Militaries and even foreign Civilian markets get the milled receivers...

The milled receiver's lifespan is touted as a selling point vs the competition. That's actually the reason the raw stamped receivers are even in the showroom in the 1st place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors