Like Tree59Likes

Thread: How To Bypass The SBR Stamp Legally

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11707 times

How To Bypass The SBR Stamp Legally

Its not a trick, you just need to buy the right kind of firearm, and in my case, its a Chinese contract Browning Hi Power. This particular model has been on my short list for many years, and I finally snagged a decent example. made at the tail end of production in 1945, this one has the improved safety and hammer, and is so denoted by the * on the slide legend.
    The SBR laws are funny about pistols like these...if your stock/holster is 100% original, its grandfathered in, if the stock/holster is a reproduction, you need to get the proper paperwork. The stock on this one is a great example, and actually "matches" the pistol as far as production years go.

A very short history on these pistols can be found here:
    https://www.ai4fr.com/main/page_mili...da_inglis.html

I think this pistol may have been re-parked at one time, but its difficult to say id=f this was arsenal or not (if it even happened). It shows very little signs of being shot with a near perfect bore and crisp action.
    Left Side Close Up.jpg
    Slide Legend.jpg
    Full view with the stock attached:
    Left View Mounted.jpg
    Right side showing the correct proof marks:
    Right Side Proofs Edited.jpg
    Updated hammer on the later ones, and is so marked:
    Hammer marking.jpg
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1004 times
    Nice score.
    JoeMomma likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5003 times
    Congrats, I would love to find one.
    JoeMomma likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8051 times
    Very nice! Personally I want the C96!
    JoeMomma likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11707 times
    Now for some pictures of the stock. If you ever decide to get one of these, do your homework! There are lots of reproductions out there in varying degrees of quality, but some are quite good! In very general terms, most, but not all repros will not have slotted screws on the metal plate, but I have seen one that did. its possible these were changed, but I'm not positive about this. This is what a real one will look like in that area:
    Latch Details.jpg
    Notice the "Made In Canada" stamp? Yes...this is correct and perfectly fine. When these were imported many years ago, they had to be marked like this, so look for the stamp, or evidence of one being removed...I have seen that done as well.
    Now on to the one area that is pretty damn hard to fake, and that's the interior. See the lighter strips of wood when the stock is opened? that's a pretty good sign its the real deal. With that being said, I have seen at least one example of a legit holster that did not have the longer lightly colored wood on the top, but only on the bottom. That holster was made in 1944, but was 100% legit, so maybe there are others like this? Caveat Emptor.
    Interior.jpg
    Not pictured is what lies at the bottom of the holster, namely a white piece of felt to cushion the pistol, and ensure a nice snug fit. Check here also.

This is the piece that attaches to the rear of the pistol in the milled slot. If you remove this, be very careful not to lose the small spring and plunger that gives it tension when attached.

Attachment Plate.jpg

The SA LTD 1945 mark. Inglis could not make the stocks themselves, so they farmed this portion out to a furniture company. These stock are getting harder and harder to find, and VERY expensive when you do!

1945 Marking.jpg

Another proof mark. I've never seen one of these on the repros I've looked at, but remember, stamps are cheap:
    Proof Mark.jpg
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11707 times
    A few more pics just for fun. The rear sight. I always hear people saying that 500 yards is a bit optimistic, and I agree, but I wonder...has anyone tried this pistol with the stock at 200 yards or more? I'm going to...and will post the results here.
    Rear Sight.jpg
    The magazine for this one is the correct JI marked one (John Inglis), and are becoming quite expensive as well. Always look for the "split tail".
    Magazine 1.jpg
    JI Mark.jpg
    Old school follower:
    Aluminum Follower.jpg

Last pic for now. Hopefully I can get out to the range soon and see how it does at distance.
    Right Mounted Edited.jpg
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    8051 times
    Thanks! I've seen ATF letters that said it's ok for repro stocks but they were from the 80s/90s

I think I have a mag like that. Came with my Israeli surplus HiPower
    JoeMomma likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Great info. Thank you very much.
    JoeMomma likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18238 times
    Fuckin' nice! I know you were maneuvering to get this for quite some time but you finally got it. Sweet score!
    JoeMomma and Averageman like this.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    731 times
    Fantastic!

What does a package like that run?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    968 times
    Neat to see a volley sight on a hi-power. They're not meant for aimed fire, they're meant for ranged fire. Same as the 1500+ ones you'll see on old bolt actions from pre-ww1 and ww1. If they were expecting the enemy to come out of a facing trench, or be in formation for a charge an order would go out to fix sights to xxxx yds, they'd adjust to xxxx yds and when the call to fire was given hundred or thousands of bullets would be hitting in that range. It was an early way to get massed fire on locations pre fixed machine gun days, or even combined with fixed machine gun fire. It carried on into ww2 but luckily ww2 didn't see a lot of trench warfare of the type that occured during ww1.
    Great looking setup by the way, that setup and a stocked "artillery" lugar are both on my want list.
    JoeMomma likes this.
    WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Member #
    Liked
    848 times
    JoeMamma, That's a awesome HiPower you have there.
    I have an Inglis, but think the previous owner may have refinished it and took things in the wrong direction.
    When you say "original", do you mean original to that particular pistol or simply an original buttstock? How can you tell that it was made for a Chinese contract?

Last edited by Bret; 09-03-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    JoeMomma and 43m1garand like this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    8051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I have an Inglis, but think the previous owner may have refinished it and took things in the wrong direction.
    When you say "original", do you mean original to that particular pistol or simply an original buttstock? How can you tell that it was made for a Chinese contract?

Starwars stormtrooper look

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11707 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post

Bret, if its a Chinese contract Inglis, the serial number will start with CH.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11707 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Thanks! I've seen ATF letters that said it's ok for repro stocks but they were from the 80s/90s

I think I have a mag like that. Came with my Israeli surplus HiPower
    If its a JI marked mag, I'll be happy to trade you 2 original Hi Power mags.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors