Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snake Handler
  • 1 Post By gonogo

Thread: Temporary car structure (tent)?

Member #
    Liked
    298 times

Temporary car structure (tent)?

Anyone ever used one of those tents for storing cars?

I need a quick fix to store a classic car that can't be in the florida sun and rain. I realize that a tent is not the best for protecting against the elements, but it is better than nothing. I just need to keep the sun and rain off this thing for 6 months to a year. I'm not sure if one of these can actually withstand Florida weather

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    These guys come highly recommended.
    Outdoor CarCapsule
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1008 times
    That is a pretty interesting design. I've never heard of them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5022 times
    Shed in a box is inexpensive and would last a couple of years or so. Would only withstand winds as good as you anchor it down.

It would certainly keep that FLA sun off the ride.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Shed in a box is inexpensive and would last a couple of years or so. Would only withstand winds as good as you anchor it down.

It would certainly keep that FLA sun off the ride.
    Yeah, I would anchor the shit out of it, you have to here. I was also looking at rhino bags. Essentially you open it up, cover car, and zip it up. The description says nothing about rain proof only UV. I could be wrong, but I figured it's not rain proof if it's not advertised. I need a new paint job but I most definitely do not need any rust, no thank you.

Edit: Rhino bags are for indoor use only.
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-12-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    6359 times
    Rent a storage unit at an RV facility - not at a "mini" storage.

The one I am at has electricity and I am allowed to wrench on projects. I can't grind, sand, paint or weld though. I told them I preferred a unit that was the least likely to have people walking by asking if I had "any 4 bolt main Chevy blocks" - aka looky-loos - walking by. They gave me the most inaccessible unit. I think they had a hard time renting it to the RV crowd, but it was perfect for me.

Another guy at the facility rented 3 adjacent units and they let him take the walls out between them. He's got at least 6 classic Ford trucks in there.

I so wish I had stored my first car at one years ago.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 08-12-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I've used a similar (tent) enclosure as in OP photo, although I screwed each joint together with a self-tapping metal screw so pipe sections wouldnt pull apart.

I also threw straps over the front, middle and rear and secured those 6 points very well to the ground, nearby garage and a telephone pole.

Biggest problem I see if you're installing on gravel, yard or dirt.. the sun will warm up the tent and draw moisture out of the ground making the tent with condensation on the inside and raising the moisture level in/on the vehicle stored inside. Maybe will need to run a de-humidifier.

Mine lasted 18 months until I completed remodel on my house and extended the roof 26 feet out for carport parking. The georgia sun began to compromise the fiberglass tarp material towards the end, and I relocated the structure and removed the sides, turning into a carport at my camp down the road.

Good success.

/
    Last edited by gonogo; 08-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Sponsors